[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

hmm... how about giving it to Dres? Or giving Ike to Jool?

Or what about placing it around the L4/L5 points? The way the game is at the moment, the Lagrangian points don't exist...but putting Minmus there would cheat a large asteroid into a fake Lagrangian point...and it could be an interesting new challenge to intercept something in the same orbit, but out of Kerbin's SOI.

It may be related to FAR. MJ thinks that a control surface make a ship turn at a specific angular speed. When you use FAR that speed change and MJ is confused.

With the Joint reinforcement plugin the wobble seems to be lessened leading to better mechjeb performance.

I spent a very good weekend getting my first 'kerbal' on the 'moon' in career mode using all realism mods.

Bill made it back at 3% payload fuel left.

It actually took me 2 launches to setup the command/lunar modules.

first actual worthy achievement I've had in a long time.

still love you nathankell & ferram!

I'll admit I didn't read 21 pages of thread.... but I have a stupid question.

If Kerbin is normally 1/10th the size of earth, and you've re-scaled it to be about 1:1, did you re-scale all the rocket parts? Wouldn't this mean we're sending 1/10th size scale models at the moon?

The parts are still normal size. You will have to get a mod such as KW Rocketry, NovaPunch etc. to get proper parts.(Only partially proper). You might also want Stretchy Tanks, Procedural Fairings, FAR, Joint Reinforcement and Modular Fuels.

I spent a very good weekend getting my first 'kerbal' on the 'moon' in career mode using all realism mods.

Bill made it back at 3% payload fuel left.

It actually took me 2 launches to setup the command/lunar modules.

first actual worthy achievement I've had in a long time.

still love you nathankell & ferram!

you ... just... how!?

I mean... in career mode? how?

rottielover, you probably also want Module Fuels in Realistic Mass mode. Otherwise things will be too hard since KSP parts by default underperform the real world. That said, you don't necessarily need larger-than-2.5m parts for quite adequate rocketry; Delta II is approximately 2.5m diameter and with a full suite of solid boosters can chuck just over 6 tons into orbit. And that's a single-core stack, not any of these wacky vegetables people make.

Visari, most impressive!

Just a note: I'm testing a global patch for solar panels, so you don't have to mess with modularmanager configs; any solar panel will have the distances in its powerCurve multiplied by 11 (approx ratio of Earth's orbit to Kerbin's orbit). So you should go back to getting rated power. I plan to test it tonight and release tomorrow if all's well.

Been able to play again. Got to Minmus when it was far away this time. Did the science experiments with goo and materials labs. I don't have enough tech yet to make a proper lander and survive reentry (I kinda need the top parachute, and my vacuum stage is in no shape to be landing anywhere). But while I was there, I decided I want a sample from the surface anyway.

Luckily, Jeb was able to help out with that!

This will hopefully provide enough science to get me the stuff needed to go to the Mun and back alive.

Oh and, I love this mod. You are a hero, NathanKell. As is ferram. Now I just have to wait for a working multiplayer mod to show up and this game will be pretty much perfect.

Edited by Truga

How much delta v do you guys need to get something into geostationary orbit? I'm using a 13000-14000dv rocket to get a 500-1000kg satellite into geo orbit and still have some fuel left to maneuver.

That makes me wonder how much you would actually need to get to the mun and back.

Secondly, should i use a orbit period of 23h56 like real earth or should it be 24h?

Oh, and i like the modified Remotetech posted some pages back. :)

earth atmosphere is 60km height

Actually... (Read: Kármán line)

The Kármán line, or Karman line, lies at an altitude of 100 kilometres (62 mi) above the Earth's sea level, and commonly represents the boundary between the Earth's atmosphere and outer space.[2] This definition is accepted by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), which is an international standard setting and record-keeping body for aeronautics and astronautics.

The Karman line is basically the height at which the speed required to generate enough lift to keep flying matches orbital speed. Which happens to be roughly at 100km on average (depends on local weather conditions). I think. I might have mixed it up with something else.

Edited by Truga

Is it possible to increase the mass of Kerbol? That and planets in their correct orbits would make visiting them very hard. Also I noticed the mod uses Earth's periapsis of 147 million km as the semi-major axis, it should be 149,6 million.

How much delta v do you guys need to get something into geostationary orbit? I'm using a 13000-14000dv rocket to get a 500-1000kg satellite into geo orbit and still have some fuel left to maneuver.

That makes me wonder how much you would actually need to get to the mun and back.

Secondly, should i use a orbit period of 23h56 like real earth or should it be 24h?

Oh, and i like the modified Remotetech posted some pages back. :)

For an orbital period of 24h 56m 4.1s you need a semi-mayor axis of 42,163.3 Km, in a circular orbit that means an apoapsis and periapsis of 35,792.3 km.

With a Hohman transfer you would need (coming from a 110km circular orbit) a first burn of 2,483.11 dV and a second one of 1,487.48 dV at the apoapsis, for a total of 3,970.59 dV! :)

Fixed Mun's inclination to avg vs. Earth's equator (since we can't tilt Kerbin's rot axis, we tilt what orbits it)

You actually could tilt Kerbin's axis. Planetary axes are always aligned normal to the Kerbol ecliptic. For instance, if a planet's orbit had a 90 degree inclination, it would have a 90 tilt relative to its rotation around Kerbal (like Uranus.) You could tilt Kerbin's axis by making it have an inclined orbit around Kerbol, then the Mun could have the same inclination as the Moon (since inclination is relative to the primary.) The major issue with this would be that the Mun's axial tilt wouldn't be right (since the Moon rotates nearly normal to the ecliptic), but since it rotates so slowly, this isn't that big a deal.

For an orbital period of 24h 56m 4.1s you need a semi-mayor axis of 42,163.3 Km, in a circular orbit that means an apoapsis and periapsis of 35,792.3 km.

With a Hohman transfer you would need (coming from a 110km circular orbit) a first burn of 2,483.11 dV and a second one of 1,487.48 dV at the apoapsis, for a total of 3,970.59 dV! :)

Getting to and circularizing at the moon's altitude (384,400km) only requires about 15 m/s more: 3985 m/s from a 110km orbit. The initial burn is longer though; it takes about 11 km/s to get to the moon.

you ... just... how!?

I mean... in career mode? how?

I did use AIES and NP2 as part mods to assist in having some more diversity in engines.

Also, one can do a lot of science on kerbin using its many biomes to progress just enough for the 2.5m rockets and docking to enable multiple launch rendezvous translunar injection missiles, semi-apollo style, except 2 launches.

Also, keeping the final weight down to an absolute minimum helps a lot!

My final entry stage was 2.1t

lunar lander was 13t

docked ship in earth orbit pre-injection was 50t or so.

took me over a thousand tons of launchpad weight to pull that mission off.

Is it possible to increase the mass of Kerbol? That and planets in their correct orbits would make visiting them very hard. Also I noticed the mod uses Earth's periapsis of 147 million km as the semi-major axis, it should be 149,6 million.

(And the other "what about the other planets" questions): Yes, coming up.

Also, AndreyATGB, thanks for the catch; I was looking at SMA but copy-pasted perihelion, oops.

Mr Shifty, definitely going to play around with rotation now. I'll see what I can do. That's a very good tip about inclination; if I can't get it any other way I'll do that. Sadly it'll only work for one planet though.

Also, yes, 23h56m4.1s is indeed the rotational period. :)