[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I think the best idea for a Moon mission now is probably earth-orbit rendezvous. I'm gonna do that for my first Moon mission, because of a)part count, sorta B) wobbly saturn v c) easier. For me, at least, and I'm basing it off ideas the British Interplanetary Society and NASA had.

I had my first landing on the Mun the other day with the suggestion you proposed. I could possibly have stuck the lander ontop of the already insanely long, 1st/2nd/3rd stages + the CSM, but with the amount of fuel the lander had to carry, and my lifter already being ridiculous part count/size, I too opted for earth orbit rendezvous.

I guesstimated the dV requirements pretty well, just scraping through on my lander.

It would be better, but it hasn't been colourized, and (more importantly) it has big gaps around the poles.

How about this one? It's a color image and the north pole gap is filled in with older data. Also the site has some more interesting maps of planets.

I guess it depends what you want the texture to be, either more realistic or better-looking with no gaps.

nguyenmanhtuan69258: have you edited common.cfg in your citylights mod? Set the cutoffs to 2000, not 200.

mushroomman: Very nice! OK, I'll uncomment and try to fix the code I was using to replace textures directly in RSS, so as not to be dependent on UR.

How about this one? It's a color image and the north pole gap is filled in with older data. Also the site has some more interesting maps of planets.

I guess it depends what you want the texture to be, either more realistic or better-looking with no gaps.

I think that's where most of my textures are from :P

But the difference of quality of that mercury map just makes it look bad. I think I'll probably dull the colours at some point. Also change Eve's surface to Venus.

And NathanKell, is there anything you need me to do or give you? If you need bump/height maps, they're in my download (because I'm too lazy to make a second one for that) and there's a lovely one of Earth here too

This does beg the question, where on Earth would the KSC be located anyway?

Edited by mushroomman

KSC, of course. :]

Well, and one at Baikonour, one at Kourou, etc.

Although for my own purposes I'm adding one in Tanzania.

Regarding the pack itself, took a peek.

I note you have doubled textures in the BoulderCo folder--KSP ignores extension, so you need _either_ a png or a tga or a mbm or a jpg but not more than one or you're wasting memory (and who knows which it'll pick). Also, can you include an edited common.cfg with the distances scaled up so that clouds appear when in PQS mode?

Other suggestions: for square detail or bump textures, you need to set the x scaling to 2 times the y scaling (otherwise they'll appear quite stretched). Unless that's intentional. Or you can just use textures that are already 2:1 rather than square. You also might want to play with the radius values so that, for instance, Kerbin's clouds aren't 25km and 50km up. Try 1.003 and 1.004 for Kerbin? That means 20 and 25km roughly, which is a bit better. Any lower and they start clipping the scaled space mesh.

Even better, just get used to using the same aspect ratio for all cloud-related textures as you do for the planet textures (i.e. 2:1) and then you can leave scaling at 1:1. Also, and this is something I keep bugging rbray about but s/he still hasn't done it, you NEED to be using power-of-two textures; Unity _will_ scale non-power-of-two textures, either leading to ugly loss in quality or wasted RAM. That means i.e. 2048x1024, not 640x320 (use 512x256 or 1024x512 instead).

Oh, and since KSP converts textures itself anyway to a format that takes more memory than jpg, there's really no point in not including a losslessly compressed texture (PNG or TGA, though each has issues) or an uncompressed texture (mbm). MBM takes the most space on disk but (apparently) the least in ram, because the TGA loading code is bugged; png loading code has a different bug (it doesn't take more RAM, but it also doesn't get mipmaps generated so it flickers when you're far away). Best bet is probably make PNGs and use the PNG to mbm converter? (Then, obviously, delete the PNGs so there's only one texture each in the folder, per above).

Hope that comes across as advice, not criticism; the work you've done is very pretty!

I came across a rather entertaining bug this evening trying to see if I could get something out to Dres-Saturn. Turns out that solar panels that far out not only do not produce power as it should be, but they actually drain power. A gigantor panel in orbit around Laythe-Titan will drain approx 2 charge/second when properly oriented. Thought you might like to know.

I came across a rather entertaining bug this evening trying to see if I could get something out to Dres-Saturn. Turns out that solar panels that far out not only do not produce power as it should be, but they actually drain power. A gigantor panel in orbit around Laythe-Titan will drain approx 2 charge/second when properly oriented. Thought you might like to know.

I've had the same problem with solar panels actually draining power, but inside the orbit of Venus. They can drain really fast since they're so close to the Sun.

For all those RSS fans out there. Here is a first release of my 'lite' version of the realistic tech tree i'm building with Nathan!

It's more gamey, but should be interesting. "Balanced" for RSS, FAR & my own plugin for body specific situations and also, adds the need to 'generate data' prior to be allowed to complete a mission.

Shameless less promotion below:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58135-TechTree-0-22-Realistic-Progression-LITE-V0-17-%28Pre-Release-via-TreeEdit%29

nguyenmanhtuan69258: have you edited common.cfg in your citylights mod? Set the cutoffs to 2000, not 200.

mushroomman: Very nice! OK, I'll uncomment and try to fix the code I was using to replace textures directly in RSS, so as not to be dependent on UR.

I can't find this file. Can you please tell me where is this file?

Made an interplanetary probe and landed on Deimos/Gilly, which was super hard since its SoI is only above its surface in a few places. Nice view from here.

I tried landing on Deimos yesterday and had a weird bug: terrain would disappear when I got close to its SoI. It looked kinda like if the camera goes into a model (you can see the outer textures, but inner ones don't exist, obviously).

I then crashed into it because I had no idea where it was, nor did I know the altitude (because small SoI) Anyone else had that? If not I'll try reinstalling...

Should memory ctd's allways have same error localation?

I'm getting these ctd's every 10-15 min now.

Errors are allways like these.

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.1.2f1_911c7369eeac]

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module KSP.exe at 0023:007c3ab7.

Error occurred at 2013-11-09_190736.
D:\KSP_win - Copy\KSP.exe, run by Boss.
74% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [131 MB free].
Write to location 00081000 caused an access violation.

Context:
EDI: 0x00081000 ESI: 0x0fa8fbb4 EAX: 0x0fa8fc20
EBX: 0x0004a340 ECX: 0x0000001b EDX: 0x00000000
EIP: 0x007c3ab7 EBP: 0x003cef08 SegCs: 0x00000023
EFlags: 0x00210202 ESP: 0x003cef00 SegSs: 0x0000002b

Bytes at CS:EIP:
f3 a5 ff 24 95 d0 3b 7c 00 8b c7 ba 03 00 00 00

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module KSP.exe at 0023:012d8314.

Error occurred at 2013-11-14_165948.
D:\KSP_win - Copy\KSP.exe, run by Boss.
67% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [102 MB free].
Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Context:
EDI: 0x00000000 ESI: 0xff730040 EAX: 0x0000e9a0
EBX: 0xff02b41d ECX: 0x00000024 EDX: 0x419e779e
EIP: 0x012d8314 EBP: 0x002ff948 SegCs: 0x00000023
EFlags: 0x00210206 ESP: 0x002ff918 SegSs: 0x0000002b

Bytes at CS:EIP:
89 17 8b 56 04 89 57 04 8b 56 08 89 57 08 0f b6

Note it still says 131mb address space free. I presume that's out of max 32 bit can see?

Output log gives stuff like this prior to crash.

ArgumentException: Getting control 9's position in a group with only 9 controls when doing Repaint
Aborting
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.DoLabel (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.Label (System.String text, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleInfoItems.DrawStageStatsColumn (System.String header, IEnumerable`1 data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleInfoItems.AllStageStats () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.GeneralInfoItem.DrawItem () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleCustomInfoWindow.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!
Trying to allocate: 4194304B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: STL
Allocation happend at: Line:64 in
Memory overview

Any ideas how to Aerobrake/Capture at Mars? I'm coming in at roughly 5,8km/s at Periaps. I tried different profiles. I tried direct descents and "bouncy-descents" but my Rover crashes everytime. I just don't seem to get the right altitude.

I might try a powered descent next time.

Mods: Ferram, Deadly reentry + other less important ones (and real solar system of course).

I tried landing on Deimos yesterday and had a weird bug: terrain would disappear when I got close to its SoI. It looked kinda like if the camera goes into a model (you can see the outer textures, but inner ones don't exist, obviously).

I then crashed into it because I had no idea where it was, nor did I know the altitude (because small SoI) Anyone else had that? If not I'll try reinstalling...

I think that's pretty much intended, since when you're still outside the SoI of a body it doesn't load properly. When you do load into its SoI, you're already inside it so you crash immediately.

It took me a while to find a low-elevation place on Deimos/Gilly and enter its SoI there (SoI only extends 2 km above the 0m altitude height, and most of the surface is above 2km in height.)

Phobos/Bop is an even bigger problem since its SoI is about 2 km below the surface so it's impossible to land on it.

One way to fix that would be to use a higher radius for its SoI, for example use the radius of the Hill sphere instead. For Phobos/Bop that comes out to about 16 km and for Deimos/Gilly it's about 22 km.

Any ideas how to Aerobrake/Capture at Mars? I'm coming in at roughly 5,8km/s at Periaps. I tried different profiles. I tried direct descents and "bouncy-descents" but my Rover crashes everytime. I just don't seem to get the right altitude.

I might try a powered descent next time.

Mods: Ferram, Deadly reentry + other less important ones (and real solar system of course).

If you want to aerocapture into a Mars orbit, you need about 1km/s of braking delta-v. You can get that with a periapsis of about 30-40 km (depending on your craft's aerodynamics).

It is very hard to land on Mars with a big payload in real life. That translates pretty well to this mod. A heat shield alone will only take you down to about 1000 m/s in the very thin atmosphere.

There is also a problem with the way terrain altitudes work in KSP. In real life, all the rovers and lander we've sent to Mars have landed below "sea level" (the average altitude of Mars), where the pressure is higher. But in KSP the 0m altitude is that of the lowest point on the body. The atmospheric pressure of Mars is 0.007 bars at the average altitude, but the KSP Duna/Mars has its pressure set to 0.007 bars at 0m, which is its lowest altitude. One way to fix this is to make the atmospheric pressure at 0m equal to the atmospheric pressure at Mars's lowest point, which is about 0.012 bars.

Since the stock parachutes have their minimum inflating atmospheric pressure at 0.007 bars for the drogue and 0.01 bars for the regular parachute, the parachutes will never work on Duna/Mars as it is now. You can change the values that the parachutes open in the Squad folder to make them able to be opened on Duna/Mars. Or if you set Duna/Mars's base atmospheric pressure to 0.012 bars you will be able to use the stock parachutes.

Didn't MSL open it's parachutes an roughly 450m/s after entering Mars' atmosphere?

I changed the pressure parameter and I see a glimpse of hope on the horizon. The chute opened, but I was way too fast. I try to work on my maneuver a little bit more.

Thank you very much!