A Quick Flowchart: to Mod, or Not to Mod?

Galacticruler

*whether

Just saying. Good flowchart though.

Thank you, and I corrected it.

Alright, so if we don't make a mod we are forced, whatever path we take, to remove our web browsers?

Very well done :)

Only if you don't know if you've got any goals.

Kerbal Space program > Do you care about how you achieve your goals > Yes > Try out stock.

It works, that is what I am pretty much doing! :D

Well, that is how it works.

EDIT:

I failed to notice the "Bored?"->"Take a break" infinite loop.

Edited by Galacticruler

This is just another silly attempt to define the "pure and right" way to play a SP game and, as such, is just useless. Mods can add incredible variety and increased challenge to the game some people play with mods solely BECAUSE they care about how they achieve their goals.

So, I think the first choice should be "do you care what Galacticruler thinks about how you define and acheive your goals?" because this flowchart is predicated on the flawed idea that "herp derp mods is for loosers who need to L2P, lulz"

I'd add a "do you like piloting or building?" decision block as well. For me, the piloting is dullsville... but I'm all about building rockets. MechJeb made the game amazing for me. And it turns out, it's not a half-bad teacher. I had done almost nothing without MechJeb in the driver's seat since my first suborbital rockets... but when career mode arrived, I was able to get myself to the moon via manual piloting on the first try with a rocket I built after unlocking only the first tier.

Which brings up another thing. The question "do you care how you achieve your goals?" might need a wording tweak. I cared, which is why I chose to use MechJeb-- it's just that for me "I care" means "I'd rather not steer for 45 minutes," so a yes answer means I'm off to install a mod.

Either way, the other poster who summed it up as a single "do you like the mod?" question has the right idea. Do what's fun. And seriously, those of you who do it all flying by hand are awesome. You should be proud of it! But dammit, Jim... I'm an engineer, not a pilot! Heck, now I'm imagining a co-op mode where I can build absurdly optimized interplanetary craft and let somebody else fly them and provide feedback. I'm sure there's at least one Chuck Yeager for every Von Braun, and not that many who are both.

This is just another silly attempt to define the "pure and right" way to play a SP game and, as such, is just useless. Mods can add incredible variety and increased challenge to the game some people play with mods solely BECAUSE they care about how they achieve their goals.

So, I think the first choice should be "do you care what Galacticruler thinks about how you define and acheive your goals?" because this flowchart is predicated on the flawed idea that "herp derp mods is for loosers who need to L2P, lulz"

err...not sure how you got that from my flow chart...considering I'm a heavy mod user, and even have my own part mod.

I'd add a "do you like piloting or building?" decision block as well. For me, the piloting is dullsville... but I'm all about building rockets. MechJeb made the game amazing for me. And it turns out, it's not a half-bad teacher. I had done almost nothing without MechJeb in the driver's seat since my first suborbital rockets... but when career mode arrived, I was able to get myself to the moon via manual piloting on the first try with a rocket I built after unlocking only the first tier.

Which brings up another thing. The question "do you care how you achieve your goals?" might need a wording tweak. I cared, which is why I chose to use MechJeb-- it's just that for me "I care" means "I'd rather not steer for 45 minutes," so a yes answer means I'm off to install a mod.

Either way, the other poster who summed it up as a single "do you like the mod?" question has the right idea. Do what's fun. And seriously, those of you who do it all flying by hand are awesome. You should be proud of it! But dammit, Jim... I'm an engineer, not a pilot! Heck, now I'm imagining a co-op mode where I can build absurdly optimized interplanetary craft and let somebody else fly them and provide feedback. I'm sure there's at least one Chuck Yeager for every Von Braun, and not that many who are both.

You bring up some interesting points.

And yes, I might get around to editing this, I still have a few days left on my Gliffy trial.

Edited by Galacticruler

err...not sure how you got that from my flow chart...considering I'm a heavy mod user, and even have my own part mod.

Because of the wording of the first choice which implies that people who care about how they achieve their goals don't use mods and people who don't care do. The further implication is that their is a correct way to play for people who care, but aren't bored yet. There are mods that make the game more difficult and/or strive to make the game more "realistic." If the decision point is really how much or how little the player cares about their goals maybe they should start with those sorts of mods instead. The correct way in light of that context is get some mods.

The threads checking the players machine's capability seems OK but a better approach for the motivation threads might be something like:

Do you have a good understanding of the stock game? N leads to no mods

Are there things you want to do but can't? Y leads to mods

Did you see a mod that interests you? Y leads to try that mod

Are you bored with the stock game? Y leads to mods

Then at the bottom of the tree there could be questions that lead back to no mods like

Have your loading times got silly?

Are you bored with all your mods

Is there a new release?

Is your game to fiddly and complex?

Edited by Botch
added fiddly and complex

• 1 month later...

So, There are three possible destinies for your PC, the removal of your internet browser - death

"Up to you then" - probable death

Or making mods - VERY probable death

And several near-stable loops such as the bored-RAM-break loop and for some people, the learn GIMP and Blender and Unity and C# - relearn GIMP and Blender and Unity and C# loop.

The RAM loop tells you your PC died a long time ago.

The C# loop is almost certain to make this happen: XKCD: Cautionary

Point is, parents, talk to your kids about modding video games before someone else does.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.