[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

What do you mean "it still works the same"? The only working on focussed craft thing?

That shouldn't be the case should it? my understanding of this mod is that it displays sections of a pre-created image. So I would assume that Kethane will have a data image somewhere of the deposits that SCANsat can hook into and use its own multi sat scanning technique with.

Incidentally related to my question actually, can anyone explain how I can hook the KSP Interstellar resources into SCANsat? There are a series of images for each planet and each different resource so there is a far greater volume of scanning to be done.

This should work, I don't use that mod so with that said test if you like Should pick up Inerstellar stuff Kethane and map and's add 1 scanner part.https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr7bdczdz3utip1/scansat125.zip

Here is a link for putting Kethane on MapTraq part last time a used it, It reveals kethane on a planet as you scanned it already but layout of deposit are diffrant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl34cl1axcl793q/Add_Kethane_MapTraq.cfg

Edited by Mecripp2

What do you mean "it still works the same"? The only working on focussed craft thing?

That shouldn't be the case should it? my understanding of this mod is that it displays sections of a pre-created image. So I would assume that Kethane will have a data image somewhere of the deposits that SCANsat can hook into and use its own multi sat scanning technique with.

Incidentally related to my question actually, can anyone explain how I can hook the KSP Interstellar resources into SCANsat? There are a series of images for each planet and each different resource so there is a far greater volume of scanning to be done.

To my knowledge, this is not how either mod works.

I could be wrong but neither mod has an image somewhere that is just uncovered as the scanning takes place.

To my knowledge, this is not how either mod works.

I could be wrong but neither mod has an image somewhere that is just uncovered as the scanning takes place.

The first post of this thread says that's not how it works.

I think Kethane generates the deposit data randomly when you start a new save file. So I guess the detector is revealing that data and putting it on the grid, but that's still not quite the same as just revealing parts of an image.

Look in the Kethane folder you find a folder called Resources in it you find Kethane.cfg this is a part of what it looks like

KethaneResource

{

Resource = Kethane

ColorFull = 0.08235294, 0.6901961, 0.1019608

ColorEmpty = 0.1858824, 0.3105883, 0.1929412

Generator

{

name = LegacyResourceGenerator

MinRadius = 7.29

MaxRadius = 16.2

MinQuantity = 10000

MaxQuantity = 500000

MinVertices = 20

MaxVertices = 50

RadiusVariance = 0.45

DepositCount = 17

NumberOfTries = 30

Body

{

name = Kerbin

MinRadius = 4.05

DepositCount = 12

}

So It's like random spot's with a MinRadius where ScanSat reading info that KSP put there on a planet, where as Majiir don't want to set it up that way.

Is it just me or does SCANsat NO LONGER work in the background? I'm getting nothing from it anymore unless I'm flying the SCANsat. I'm rather bummed by this because the background mapping was one of the best features of this mod.

It still's works for me is your little map filling in ?

EDIT if you add MapTraq to a part you still have to click on part to open map.

Edited by Mecripp2

It still's works for me is your little map filling in ?

EDIT if you add MapTraq to a part you still have to click on part to open map.

I haven't edited anything. I have the SAR hi-res scanner part on several probes at different planets and they do not make any contributions to mapping unless I'm flying them, even at warp speeds less than 1000x. This is a change that's recently happened. I'm using Build 5.

I haven't edited anything. I have the SAR hi-res scanner part on several probes at different planets and they do not make any contributions to mapping unless I'm flying them, even at warp speeds less than 1000x. This is a change that's recently happened. I'm using Build 5.

And you the MapTraq part on there and clicked open map ? it should be working just tested 1 and works fine.

EDIT you using a mod called FUSEBOX think the name is some people was having a problem with it?

Edited by Mecripp2

Am I to assume that if one of the indicators on the scanning map links between green and yellow, it's teetering on its range?

Furthermore, one out of to do you recommend for the low resolution and high resolution scanners? I can't seem to find anything in the documentation.

-Garland

Am I to assume that if one of the indicators on the scanning map links between green and yellow, it's teetering on its range?

Furthermore, one out of to do you recommend for the low resolution and high resolution scanners? I can't seem to find anything in the documentation.

-Garland

Here is a link to a post on the range http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-0-23-SCANsat-terrain-mapping?p=929334&viewfull=1#post929334

And you the MapTraq part on there and clicked open map ? it should be working just tested 1 and works fine.

EDIT you using a mod called FUSEBOX think the name is some people was having a problem with it?

Yeah, I was doing everything as before when it was scanning in the background while I was doing other things. Strange thing is, now the background scanning is working again.

Something weird is going on why my KSP. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.

I did a lot of experiments to determine the best orbits at the various bodies for the different scanners. I haven't quite finished this project yet but here are my results so far|:

General Notes

1. Only the Multispectral and hi-res SAR are picky about altitudes and asynchronous orbits. The low-res altimetry scanner is not. Thus, if you put the low-res scanner on a probe with one of these other scanners, fly at the altitude for the other scanner and the low-res will do its job just fine.

2. The Multispectral and hi-res SAR work best when placed a few km above their optimum altitudes, which allows a better chance of desirable slight overlap.

3. In general, it's a bad idea to combine Kethane and SCANsat scanners on the same probe. The only real exception is Laythe. There are several reasons for this. First, due to the Kethane scanner only scanning 1 hex wide regardless of altitude, it does best at the lowest possible altitude, which is well below that of any SCANsat part. Second, most planets and moons have enough gravity that you're not going to be getting Kethane very far off the equator, so there's no need to put the Kethane scanner in a polar orbit. 30-35^ is really all you need for it, to scan just the tropics, which reduces the amount of planet you have to scan and thus speeds up the process. And finally, SCANsat can work in the background but Kethane has to be babysat, so you can get both probes in orbit, then watch the Kethane probe while the SCANsat probe works in the background. Laythe, however, because what little land area it has is scattered all over in tiny islands, requires a polar Kethane scan to find places where Kethane is on land (there being no feasible way to get underwater Kethane that I know of). Thus, you have to scan the entirety of Laythe for Kethane to find the few islands that have it, and thus can put it on the SCANsat probe.

4. With a Kethane probe, you want whatever the lowest altitude is that lets you warp at 100x, which will create an unbroken line of scanned hexes with 1 scanner. With 1 scanner, warping 1000x only hits about 5-10% of the hexes flown over. So if you don't know what altitude this is for a given planet, start at like 100km and see if you can warp 100x. If not, you'll get a message saying how high you need to be. If you can do 100x at 100km, and the coverage looks good enough, leave it there. With a 30-35^ inclined orbit, you don't have to worry about synchronicity.

5. In general, you want an inclination a bit less than 90^ for SCANsat parts, which makes the probe cross the equator more perpendicularly, which makes for a neater scan pattern without little gaps scattered all over. However, you don't want to be so far off 90^ that you leave gaps at the poles, either, so inclination is something of a compromise. The smaller the planet/moon, the further off 90^ you can get. However, small moons typically don't get neat patterns anyway but instead get like Celtic knotwork decoration, so all you can do with them is set the altitude right so you have an asynchronous orbit.

Near-Optimal SCANsat Orbits for the Various Planets and Moons

I say "near-optimal" because they can probably be improved upon. Also, they don't always quite work due to slight inaccuracies in execution. So once you get in orbit, always open the Big Map to make sure the hash marks along the equator are properly staggered. If they're not, make your orbit slightly eccentric by VERY TINY little burns either prograde or retrograde, watching the Big Map hash marks. A few taps of low thrust will usually spread them out as desired.

MS = Multispectral

SAR = hi-res altimetry

Moho

No asynchronous sweet spots. Just get into an 88^ orbit at the best altitudes for the different scanners.

Eve

MS: 252km @ 88^

SAR:| 760km @ 88^

|Gilly

MS: 100km @ 85^

SAR: 100km @ 85^ (Gilly is so small that the beam width is fine there, and the further away you are, the slower you go so it takes way longer to complete)

Kerbin

MS: 262km @ 86^

SAR: 764km @ 88^

Mun

MS: 253km @ 86^

SAR: 771km @ 87^

Minmus

MS: 253km @ 86^

SAR: 758km @ 85^

Duna

MS: 381km @ 85^

SAR: 764km @ 88^

Ike

MS: 260km @ 81^

SAR: 789km @ 86^

Dres

MS: 250km x 256km @ 86^ (for some reason, circular orbits don't quite work here)

SAR: 777km @ 87^

Jool

N/A

|Laythe

MS: 260km @ 86^

SAR: 757km @ 88^

Vall

MS: 253km @ 88^

SAR: 771km @ 88^

Tylo

Same as Kerbin

Bop

Not done yet but probably similar to Gilly. No asynchronous sweet spot so probably won't be hard to wing something on the fly.

Pol

As Bop

Eeloo

MS: 258km @ 89^

SAR: not done yet but probably similar to Mun

I just started having the same problem, it stopped working in the background, even though it worked fine before.

Is there any way to make this plugin compatible with Kethane or other resources (such as the ones in KSP interstellar?)

I can't stand making a Kethane map with it's narrow scan path and lack of support for time acceleration after using Scansat. It's infuriating. And the resource detectors in Interstellar have no way of logging found deposits on a map.

Is there any way to make this plugin compatible with Kethane or other resources (such as the ones in KSP interstellar?)

I can't stand making a Kethane map with it's narrow scan path and lack of support for time acceleration after using Scansat. It's infuriating. And the resource detectors in Interstellar have no way of logging found deposits on a map.

I don't think the author of this mod is going to tie in other mods but you can make a cfg so this scanners should pick them up if you want you can look here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55832-PLUGIN-PARTS-0-23-SCANsat-terrain-mapping?p=970179&viewfull=1#post970179

New idea for you... Make it so we can select the colors dynamically on the map...

For example; I want to see only grasslands... I could set all biome colors to black and then set grass to pink or what ever, and the grasslands would then stand out on the map.

if the various colors could be set dynamically for every map type this would help a lot in extrapolating information from the maps.

It would be nice if we could dynamically assign the colors (and shades of gray) to the maps to assist us in data mining.

For example; if I want to find all the grasslands, I could set all biomes to black then set grasslands to green, then they would be very easy to spot on the map.

This should work, I don't use that mod so with that said test if you like Should pick up Inerstellar stuff Kethane and map and's add 1 scanner part.https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr7bdczdz3utip1/scansat125.zip

Here is a link for putting Kethane on MapTraq part last time a used it, It reveals kethane on a planet as you scanned it already but layout of deposit are diffrant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl34cl1axcl793q/Add_Kethane_MapTraq.cfg

So, you joined the Kethane scanner with a SCANsat part and now one part does both - but will this make the Kethane scanner keep scanning in the background, i.e. while not being on the active vessel?