KMP v0.1.5.1 [0.23] [alpha] [inactive]

TehGimp666

The better idea seems to be this: There is demand for a public war server, A server admin has a chance to fill this current gap in the public servers :)

I will be hosting a warzone server when the real time client-client view gets fixed both for land and atmosphere view (i tried those, it was terrible :P, didnt test seeing other players while in orbit though).

I'm using w7-ult x64, and it still reported the lack of ICSharpZipLib (I think).

@TheDarkStar, lets hope it does, why don't you try it yourself?

Hello! This is truly awesome mod!

I just setup a server and connected locally, and it worked. Now i'm waiting for a friend to connect and see if he can see my orbiting ship and try to dock to it.

One thing happened, when i launched KSP today, the server connection screen was nowhere to be found? So i unpacked the KMP client again, overwriting everything.

Now the Server connection window comes up ok again, and after adding my server again, i can connect to it.

But if i try to use the username i used yesterday, i get disconnected, "Rejected client due to duplicate username w/o matching guids:Username"

If i change my username into something else i can connect ok, and luckily my ship that i created and launched yesterday is public so i can fly it ok.

I'm guessing that there is a guid created for the username and that is stored on the client somewhere and when i unpacked the client i overwrote this file?

Anyways, thanks for this mod, it has opened up a whole new universe ;)

Hello! This is truly awesome mod!

I just setup a server and connected locally, and it worked. Now i'm waiting for a friend to connect and see if he can see my orbiting ship and try to dock to it.

One thing happened, when i launched KSP today, the server connection screen was nowhere to be found? So i unpacked the KMP client again, overwriting everything.

Now the Server connection window comes up ok again, and after adding my server again, i can connect to it.

But if i try to use the username i used yesterday, i get disconnected, "Rejected client due to duplicate username w/o matching guids:Username"

If i change my username into something else i can connect ok, and luckily my ship that i created and launched yesterday is public so i can fly it ok.

I'm guessing that there is a guid created for the username and that is stored on the client somewhere and when i unpacked the client i overwrote this file?

Anyways, thanks for this mod, it has opened up a whole new universe ;)

Yeah, you're exactly right. When you first try to log in with KMP it will create a local 'token' that is used to authenticate you as that username. It's located in: GameData/Squad/Plugins/PluginData/KerbalMultiPlayer/KMPPlayerToken.txt.

So what happened in your case was, the token was created and the server associated it with your initial username. When you then replaced the KMP files it removed the token, and on your next login attempt generated a different one that no longer matched what the server had in its database.

To avoid this problem in the future just make sure to back up the token file and replace it after any upgrades you make.

Also another quick fix would be to just delete the server's Universe file and start over. Given the current state of the mod It's not unlikely that you'll have to reset the universe every once in a while anyways.

Alternatively, I'm not sure if the sqlite universe file can be easily edited, but when using the MySQL option it's super easy to just manually delete the entry in the Users table.

Edited by JohannesMP

In 0.1.6 KMP will no longer override the FRAME_DT_LIMIT (I'm unsure why this was happening in the first place). That will remove lag from using big ships.

I did have a bit of a feeling that griefing would eventually take place on public servers, but I'm unsure what the best policy for that is yet. Banning griefers isn't exactly going to work - at least not for very long.

The better idea seems to be this: There is demand for a public war server, A server admin has a chance to fill this current gap in the public servers :)

I have a 5th server running and ready to go - I would be happy to dedicate it as a War Server.

Would the community prefer stock, modded, career, sandbox???

If you have an opinion go to my server thread (link is in my signature) and let your voice be heard! (let's not clutter this thread with server specific requests)

-BC

I have a 5th server running and ready to go - I would be happy to dedicate it as a War Server.

If you have an opinion go to my server thread (link is in my signature) and let your voice be heard! (let's not clutter this thread with server specific requests)

-BC

Your stock server is where I noticed it.

Your stock server is where I noticed it.

Yeah - it does get a little Wild West in there at times!

I have seen some very interesting weapon platforms come and go.

When I first made the servers public I policed them MUCH more (I don't particularly like weaponizing space) but then I figured "Hey, it's not what I want - it's what the community wants!"

-BC

So, the other night I set up a server for me and a friend to play on, and we've developed a problem I can't suss out.

We landed a few items close together on the Mun. He can see what's been landed in our current session, but as soon as he logs out (or is disconnected), and comes back, his tracking station shows zero flights in progress, even though I see the full slate. We're fully in sync. I've restarted the server several times. The ships all still exist as far as the game is concerned, but he's not getting the info.

As well, tonight we had the following happen: He landed a rover on the Mun. I could see him coming down, and I could see where he landed. He, however, was unable to see any other items there (just as in the first issue I described). He was driving towards my location (as I had given him directions; still couldn't see me). I could see the name of his rover in the distance, about 3km away, but even though he drove nearly the entire distance to me, I never saw him move. If I switched control to the lander his rover was attached to, the rover disappeared from my screen altogether.

I'm not sure I'm describing this well enough, but, assuming I have, anyone know what's up?

-BC

There aren't too many weapons mods out there, but it might be fun to add what is available...there are 2 or 3 that I took note of that work fine on KMP as far as the little testing I have done. One was the gatling gun mod, another was a kinetic kill missile mod. The third one I monkeyed with but didn't bother keeping as what more do you need than a heavy gun and a dumb fire rocket? :)

Edit: alright, responded to your post...lets get on this, you've got me ramped up and ready to defend mah bases!

Edited by Vladthemad

@JohannesMP Hey, can you try testing that laggy RCS stuff again for me? Last night it was so bad that I gave up. I was having a hard time even using the jet pack on mun without the same explosive RCS after a second of lag issue. It seems worse the longer I play. On a complete computer restart, if I join and use the exact same huge ship it's little different than single player. Play for a few hours, and it seems to get bad again. The strange thing is, if I restart the client it doesn't go away. I only noticed it today after a restart of my computer. I know they're talking about fixing it, but it's just weird that it would correct itself only on a cpu reboot. Memory leak maybe?

Thanks JohannesMP and godarklight for your answers.

Another Q, What if i accidently manage to, let say, crash the entire space station my friend and i have been building for weeks ;) Is there a way to restore the universe from a different point in time?

@rymdlego: Deleting the server database is way overkill, You only need to /unregister playername, or if you want to keep private ships, /update playername newtoken.

I'll comment on that thread of yours ;)

I did not understand that last comment? what thread? maybe it was directed to someone else? ;)

alright, responded to your post...lets get on this, you've got me ramped up and ready to defend mah bases!

Goodness... someone has an itchy trigger finger...

Lets see if we can get a few more responses over on the server thread - we are split between sandbox and career right now...

That and I do need to sleep.... occasionally... lol...

-BC

@JohannesMP Hey, can you try testing that laggy RCS stuff again for me?

I'll give it another shot when I have some time (probably in the next day or so). Oddly enough I haven't even tried testing going out of Kerbin's sphere of influence with multiple clients yet, much less land on another body, but I've been meaning to try it.

Something tells me that if you and another vessel are in visual range of one another on a trajectory to the moon, that you'll have much Fun when you cross into the other sphere of influence :P

(...) Memory leak maybe?

I have a hunch that this issue might originate deep within KSP itself, but is made exponentially worse by some KMP weirdness. Also in my experience, periodic lockups like this are often telltale signs of memory issues, since garbage collection and similar things tend to happen at a similar frequency.

At least I've had many odd periodic FPS issues in various games that ended up being memory related, either in the game, or even with my graphics card. (To be honest this is purely speculation here, I know basically nothing of how KMP/KSP/Unity/C# actually function)

Thanks JohannesMP and godarklight for your answers.

Another Q, What if i accidently manage to, let say, crash the entire space station my friend and i have been building for weeks ;) Is there a way to restore the universe from a different point in time?

Well, right now the database is periodically backed up every few minutes as defined in your settings, but It overrides the backup file every time it does it, so you'll probably want to back it up manually before attempting any risky maneuvers.

If you do happen to make a big mess, you'll have until the next periodic backup to grab the current backup before it gets overridden, so if you're quick and lucky you can save the last backup and revert from that.

I like using the MySQL database option, since that way I have full control over the DB and can use my own automated MySQL backup method of choice.

It would be neat if the server could be forced to make a backup via a console command, which could then be loaded when the server is stopped.

Edited by JohannesMP

@Vladthemad: If you quit KSP that should also free all memory usage, the slowing down over time thing sounds odd, but I don't think we do anything that would cause that. The lag fix has been merged in the dev for 0.1.6, but for now you still need to manually bring the frame dt limit slider back to the sane value of 0.04.

I'll code a little workaround for this that automatically sets it back to 0.04 if it's set at 1 (the current value). I don't expect everyone to do this manually (or even know about it).

@rymdlego: After a vessel update has been sent to the server, there is no way to restore it back to a previous state. Salvage any usable modules and pretend it never happened (Or blame it on KMP - they might believe you).

And yeah, the last comment was replying to bcspazer about the war server :).

@KvickFlygarn87: We all understood perfectly fine :P.

@JohannesMP: I know MySQL is the only viable option for mac, but when I was profiling the server queries, MySQL runs much slower. Any more than 2 clients sending updates on my build server and it flakes out. Players will notice it as extreme chat lag.

Edited by godarklight

@JohannesMP: I know MySQL is the only viable option for mac, but when I was profiling the server queries, MySQL runs much slower. Any more than 2 clients sending updates on my build server and it flakes out. Players will notice it as extreme chat lag.

This should really be looked into (and probably added as it's own bug report) - I'd imagine that given the option, many sys admins would like being able to run it on their existing MySQL setup if they have the choice, not just Mac users. For example I do have a dedicated Linux server that I plan to run KMP on when It's closer to beta. I already run a handful of other games on there, many of which use MySQL.

And as you said previously it doesn't seem to be an issue in the MySQL database itself.

Edited by JohannesMP

This should really be looked into (and probably added as it's own bug report) - I'd imagine that given the option, many sys admins would like being able to run it on their existing MySQL setup if they have the choice, not just Mac users.

I second that opinion - it would be MUCH easier to administer a server with direct access to the DB.

I almost switched all my servers over to MySQL (actually they are all set-up to do that now) - right up until I saw godarklight's comments on how bad the performance is...

-BC

Careful, you're letting trolls loose by abbreviating "computer" into "cpu". A CPU is a Central Processing Unit and is the processor, not the computer.

Clearly I meant Cumputar Powering Unimajig. Way to assume I was using a standardized abbreviation!

Goodness... someone has an itchy trigger finger...

Lets see if we can get a few more responses over on the server thread - we are split between sandbox and career right now...

That and I do need to sleep.... occasionally... lol...

-BC

Well I already had a server set up for just this idea, just hadn't completely fleshed it out or opened it to the pubs. You're just adding fuel to the fire I had already set ;) As your servers are already established though, might as well just drop what I'm doing and come cause trouble on yours. Hah.

I have a hunch that this issue might originate deep within KSP itself, but is made exponentially worse by some KMP weirdness. Also in my experience, periodic lockups like this are often telltale signs of memory issues, since garbage collection and similar things tend to happen at a similar frequency.

That actually my feeling too...but I have nothing other than my own visual observations to go by. It'd be interesting to know if you also notice it worsen over time, or if that's just a quirk I'm experiencing.

@Vladthemad: If you quit KSP that should also free all memory usage, the slowing down over time thing sounds odd, but I don't think we do anything that would cause that. The lag fix has been merged in the dev for 0.1.6, but for now you still need to manually bring the frame dt limit slider back to the sane value of 0.04.

I'll code a little workaround for this that automatically sets it back to 0.04 if it's set at 1 (the current value). I don't expect everyone to do this manually (or even know about it).

Well I just logged on and tested it again using the same high part count ship I had issues with after starting my computer today, and the stutter isn't there, or at least it's no worse than normal KSP. Second test flight, more noticeable but still flyable. Third time, a little more worse. I assume I kept launching to 20k, turning around and diving it back into the ground it would continue to get worse.

I wasn't aware I should change that slider though...where was that bit of info hidden? :)

Edited by Vladthemad

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.