[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Wow, speedy gonzales :D thanks

Oh btw, what do you think about particle scale variable? - smaller particles for thin cirrus, big puffy ones for cumulus? just an idea.

Also: offset doesn't do anything any more

Edited by pingopete

Wow, speedy gonzales :D thanks

Oh btw, what do you think about particle scale variable? - smaller particles for thin cirrus, big puffy ones for cumulus? just an idea.

Also: offset doesn't do anything any more

Eventually I'll get to it.

detail offset? Is it something that is really desired?

I can echo this, at least as far as overhaul-8 goes, and reported it some weeks back. (Won't get to try your newest versions until mid July though.)

It worked for me back in O8? :/ Never tried detail offset, but mainOffSet definitely did cos I had to use it to line up clouds and their shadow layers

It worked for me back in O8? :/ Never tried detail offset, but mainOffSet definitely did cos I had to use it to line up clouds and their shadow layers

It was odd in how it worked for me. The main offset changed depending on the altitude of the cloud layer, as though the offset-0 shifted longitude by a certain factor of the altitude. It did work as far as a single layer was concerned. Just made it really hard to get layers that need to be stacked atop each other at the same spot. (Such as ash clouds over volcanoes on Laythe....)

Different issue I suppose.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

It was odd in how it worked for me. The main offset changed depending on the altitude of the cloud layer, as though the offset-0 shifted longitude by a certain factor of the altitude. It did work as far as a single layer was concerned. Just made it really hard to get layers that need to be stacked atop each other at the same spot. (Such as ash clouds over volcanoes on Laythe....)

Different issue I suppose.

No no that's exactly what I had, I just meant the offSet could be changed, in O9 changing offset values don't effect the clouds position at all.

No no that's exactly what I had, I just meant the offSet could be changed, in O9 changing offset values don't effect the clouds position at all.

Odd... It works fine on mine. Do you mean the volume clouds aren't offset? Because that would explain things.

May I ask what "Overhaul" is all about?

The shaders look awesome, but I tried messing around with it earlier, and the textures and configs were all redone and stuff.

I'm guessing it's just a massive change in config and file structure.

May I ask what "Overhaul" is all about?

The shaders look awesome, but I tried messing around with it earlier, and the textures and configs were all redone and stuff.

I'm guessing it's just a massive change in config and file structure.

The Overhauls are basically beta (or alpha even) builds of the next version.

Been playing around with the overhaul and am having quite a good time with it.

Is it still planned to make it to where A layer can stay in one spot no matter where the planet is in Kerbol orbit?

Yeah set speed to zero?

Odd... It works fine on mine. Do you mean the volume clouds aren't offset? Because that would explain things.

Meh still not working, I thought maybe it was how I'd put the values into the config (i.e. the order of variables) so I removed the 2D SS shadow layer from config and added it as default from the in game GUI and saved, still no offSet control on 9.1 RSS :(

Also what does RimDistSub do? Only just noticed it

EDIT: Just found that changing offSet in PQS setting panel does the trick, it just doesn't seem to work in the SS one? Strange :P

Edited by pingopete

Meh still not working, I thought maybe it was how I'd put the values into the config (i.e. the order of variables) so I removed the 2D SS shadow layer from config and added it as default from the in game GUI and saved, still no offSet control on 9.1 RSS :(

Also what does RimDistSub do? Only just noticed it

EDIT: Just found that changing offSet in PQS setting panel does the trick, it just doesn't seem to work in the SS one? Strange :P

Hmmm... I'll have to dig in further.

Can someone please walk me through what I need to do to make http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220335-astronomers-visual-pack-v3-beta work with the new EVE overhaul please? It seems like the EVE default clouds and such load, but not the Astronomer's versions. The same thing happened when I tried Better Atmospheres with b8 of the EVE overhaul.

Thx :)

Can someone please walk me through what I need to do to make http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220335-astronomers-visual-pack-v3-beta work with the new EVE overhaul please? It seems like the EVE default clouds and such load, but not the Astronomer's versions. The same thing happened when I tried Better Atmospheres with b8 of the EVE overhaul.

Thx :)

Overhaul won't work with the other packs. I'm re-doing the config after much debate, primarily to make it much more sane, futureproof, and better for those using the gui. So in other words, it will just have to wait for a while unfortunately.

Overhaul won't work with the other packs. I'm re-doing the config after much debate, primarily to make it much more sane, futureproof, and better for those using the gui. So in other words, it will just have to wait for a while unfortunately.

I'd like to strongly suggest going with the option that maintains existing compatibility with already designed packs, for the reason that there is no way to guarantee the makers of them are now, or will be around in the future when EVE v8 is released to update for compatibility. I think the fact that you've been putting out beta's of EVE 8 for weeks now, and neither of the two main packs for it (Better Atmospheres of Astronomers) have released compatibility patches for those who wish to run them with EVE v8 beta's speaks to the need to keep EVE v8 backwards compatible with EVE v7 configurations, especially taking into account issues that keep pushing the final release of v8 back to an unknown timetable, making it impossible for the designers of these packs to plan for.

Not having these packs ready for EVE v8's release will be a huge hit to it's adoption imo, because as great as the EVE v8 changes are looking, comparing EVE v8 with stock config, vs EVE 7.3 with Astronomers/Better atmospheres, EVE 7.3 with those packs is going to win every time, and therefore keep people from wanting to update to EVE v8. And that would frankly suck to see. Ensuring EVE v8 is compatible with the v7 config files would solve this issue completely and allow the packs to update (or not if their creators are AWOL) without issue at their convenience.

I'd like to strongly suggest going with the option that maintains existing compatibility with already designed packs, for the reason that there is no way to guarantee the makers of them are now, or will be around in the future when EVE v8 is released to update for compatibility. I think the fact that you've been putting out beta's of EVE 8 for weeks now, and neither of the two main packs for it (Better Atmospheres of Astronomers) have released compatibility patches for those who wish to run them with EVE v8 beta's speaks to the need to keep EVE v8 backwards compatible with EVE v7 configurations, especially taking into account issues that keep pushing the final release of v8 back to an unknown timetable, making it impossible for the designers of these packs to plan for.

Not having these packs ready for EVE v8's release will be a huge hit to it's adoption imo, because as great as the EVE v8 changes are looking, comparing EVE v8 with stock config, vs EVE 7.3 with Astronomers/Better atmospheres, EVE 7.3 with those packs is going to win every time, and therefore keep people from wanting to update to EVE v8. And that would frankly suck to see. Ensuring EVE v8 is compatible with the v7 config files would solve this issue completely and allow the packs to update (or not if their creators are AWOL) without issue at their convenience.

Compatibility just isn't an option. I might be able to make a script that automatically converts them to the new version though.

Keeping it backwards compatible would most likely make it impossible to impliment features essential for the progression of this mod. Don't worry the nature of the changes implemented in V8 will make it even easier for such modders to update or even create even better packs.

The reason many pack makers haven't moved over is because V8 is still in dev/pre release.

Rbray: I don't mean to keep driving this in circles but since you mentioned it I've noticed that one of my shadow-volume clouds is offset from its PQS 2D layer, just as you'd suggested might happen.. but only one.. ? lol

Edited by pingopete

Keeping it backwards compatible would most likely make it impossible to impliment features essential for the progression of this mod. Don't worry the nature of the changes implemented in V8 will make it even easier for such modders to update or even create even better packs.

The reason many pack makers haven't moved over is because V8 is still in dev/pre release.

Rbray: I don't mean to keep driving this in circles but since you mentioned it I've noticed that one of my shadow-volume clouds is offset from its PQS 2D layer, just as you'd suggested might happen.. but only one.. ? lol

fixes for that (and more):

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/OVERHAUL-9-2

Just be sure when using a 2D offset to also make the offset in volume as well.