PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

We could have two separate wing pieces with an easy solution; using symmetry, place something like a cubic octagonal strut where you want the wings to go, and you'll have the ability to place each wing on the strut nodes, giving you symmetrical wings that have the white texture on top and the black/grey texture on the bottom.

Simples. You just need to remember your struts/other desired part.

Keep up the good work :)

I see one problem with the firespitter sollution. If you where to make the wings heatshield actually functional with deadly reentry (ie. Having abliviative shielding direction on the bottom but not on top) ofcourse this could be solved by having the entire wing shielded but would be kindof cheating:D. The best in my oppinion would be to have a single part with two wings clipping through the fusulage but id use some procedural mesh to make it more versatile.

How would it be cheating? Spacecraft IRL ARE heat shielded all over.

However, the bottoms have either

• more shielding material (example: Apollo. Curiosity) on the bottom
  • shielding with higher heat tolerance (example: space shuttle black tiles) on the bottom.

In both cases, even the tops are shielded but have lesser/lighter shielding to lighten the craft. DRE doesn't really model that, though you could mimic that behavior in the case of addon shields like the ones for the Mk1-2 where you could add light shielding to the Mk1-2 capsule while having the heavier shield on the bottom.

Also, DRE is based off a directional heat shield, if memory serves. So, you would need TWO heat shields defined per wing (for a traditional deep-stall reentry), However, the leading edge protection would be more than enough for the more stable nose-first reentry I have favored with this pack, as I have much more control over my trajectory that way.

To deal with the wing mirroring issue, how about having two parts: the wing and the heatshield? You just apply the heatshield to the underside of the wing. That should work, right?

A different part for each wing isn't a good solution, since you'd need to attach it on a node, and that limits the way you can build a ship.

Give this man a medal :)

Give this man a medal :)

I agree, this would solve the problem :D

Alternatively you could make "wing attachment points" that you place down on the side of the craft in symmetry mode, then put the wings on the wing attachment points with no symmetry (one by one :P ) which would stop the black side from facing upward!

Edit: Just realised someone said basically the same thing as me XD

Edited by Boamere

Ohhh! I like that.

What kind of engine?

Rapier

Turbojet

Ramjet

Rocket?

All of the above? But in all seriousness, I think the cluster mounts I posted earlier would be a good enough solution for now. Also, next update can we please get an SAS unit, monoprop tank, short half-length or third length fuel tank, or even just a very short (like 0.25 meter long short) mk. 2 to 1.25m adapter, SOMETHING we can use to cap off cargo bays other than fuel tanks. This will help so much in mounting fuel tanks in line with the CoM to prevent CoM shift even with deploying a payload and fuel drain (which currently makes my 10 ton SSTO lifter flip out on re-entry and 'splode).

Other than that, I love you and your amazing work.

EDIT: just trying to keep things straight, moreso for my own benefit than anything else.

What I can imagine being left to make (please let us know what of this is on YOUR roadmap):

inline docking ports (multiple types)

ventral cargo bays

endcap

cluster mounts

SAS

monoprop tank

Streamlined, better looking RCS blocks?

smaller fuel tanks?

proper crew cabin model

wings

Is there anything I missed and what of this are you not planning on doing?

Edited by Captain Sierra

All of the above? But in all seriousness, I think the cluster mounts I posted earlier would be a good enough solution for now. Also, next update can we please get an SAS unit, monoprop tank, short half-length or third length fuel tank, or even just a very short (like 0.25 meter long short) mk. 2 to 1.25m adapter, SOMETHING we can use to cap off cargo bays other than fuel tanks. This will help so much in mounting fuel tanks in line with the CoM to prevent CoM shift even with deploying a payload and fuel drain (which currently makes my 10 ton SSTO lifter flip out on re-entry and 'splode).

Other than that, I love you and your amazing work.

EDIT: just trying to keep things straight, moreso for my own benefit than anything else.

What I can imagine being left to make (please let us know what of this is on YOUR roadmap):

inline docking ports (multiple types)

ventral cargo bays

endcap

cluster mounts

SAS

monoprop tank

Streamlined, better looking RCS blocks?

smaller fuel tanks?

proper crew cabin model

wings

Is there anything I missed and what of this are you not planning on doing?

Landing Gear! (although i know how much a PITA they are to make)

Landing Gear! (although i know how much a PITA they are to make)

preachin' to the choir, especially given how weird wheel colliders actually are. It's one of those things you learn about and then go "dafuq?" It's borderline idiotic how most games handle it and unfortunately, I don't think there's really a better way. Why can't a game engine for once handle wheels like wheels actually work in reality? (Probably has something to do with performance overhead or something else that may ultimately end in calling the "But will it run Crysis?" joke.)

I just encountered a little issue with FAR (I don't know if this has already been mentioned).

When the the SPH, the CoL is off-center of the new cockpit... as in out of the entire model. This occurs when the root part and the only part is the cockpit, as well as when other parts are applied. I haven't tested it with other parts being the root, then adding the cockpit to the craft.

Can anyone confirm? (or have they already??)

I just encountered a little issue with FAR (I don't know if this has already been mentioned).

When the the SPH, the CoL is off-center of the new cockpit... as in out of the entire model. This occurs when the root part and the only part is the cockpit, as well as when other parts are applied. I haven't tested it with other parts being the root, then adding the cockpit to the craft.

I had the same issue with FAR and the new mk.2 cockpit

Yeah, iirc the FAR specs are placeholders until someone can make heads or tails of how FAR would handle the fuselage generating lift...

FAR already generates body (fuselage) lift, I mentioned this before so I am not sure why porkjet put it in to be honest...

If he adds that wing code everything will act really, really funky. Body lift is a lot less than wing lift and he's basically setting things up so that the cockpit is only capable of being at the back of the plane; besides that the lack of setting nonSideAttach = 1 in that will also cause the CoL to be offset, causing fun rolling issues.

If he leaves it set with a stock winglet lift factor FAR will simply ignore it when working out standard body lift / drag, so if he wants it to function properly with FAR that has to go as well. Body lift in stock isn't really a good thing to have anyway since it'll just make things less stable and there's less ability to control how things are set up.

People mentioned problems with the parts stock winglet settings and FAR, so hoped adding that would help somehow. if it doesn't help then I'll just remove it. In the stock game everything works, and FAR seems to add another layer of complications that i honestly can't be arsed to care about. If you guys want FAR support find someone to put together a module manager config and I'll gladly include it with the pack for evryone.

As for parts, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of cool ideas, I could at least add 20-30 useful parts, but these things take so much time to make, I'll have to sort my thoughts and focus on the most important bits first, which I guess are a few adapters and proper wings, and maybe some cool intakes.

Ohhh! I like that.

What kind of engine?

Rapier

Turbojet

Ramjet

Rocket?

Gaaa So many different choices!

(i'd like a Rapier due to it being good on SSTO's!)

(but i would also like a ramjet! ;) )

I think a rapier would be awesome, and if you could make a jet engine of some kind, that would be cool!

Yeah also getting this :/

As for parts, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of cool ideas, I could at least add 20-30 useful parts, but these things take so much time to make, I'll have to sort my thoughts and focus on the most important bits first, which I guess are a few adapters and proper wings, and maybe some cool intakes.

Whatever you do, don't burn out! Do what you think is fun, when you think it's fun.