PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

It's... it's beautiful! Kudos to you, sir!

I know nothing about moddinf but I'll tell you this - if you do this:

Ultimately I'd love to include this in its own realistic deep space, Near-future -ish parts pack with more inflatable base building/storage parts and stuff like a rotating centrifuge living module, and maybe Orion capsule and VASIMR electric engine.

Your mod will be VERY popular on this forum :)

Looks really good, nice stockalike texture and shape.

are you intending for there to be an interior, I'd imagine that would be difficult given that it would change..

perhaps you should see if like the guy who has the "near future" propulsion pack, would partner up with you or something... could make a nice mod..

Animation would be awesome. But it would cover only a very small percentage of the lifetime of the habitat. Why not work on no animation first, and have the ability to switch states in the first place. Besides, a kind of pop! appearance once activated would in some way be very kerbalesque.

A sane astronaut would never set foot in such a contraption but I'm sure the Kerbals are lining up for it!

Hawt damn! Yep, that definitely fits the stock aesthetic - I especially like the detail you've put into the shape-retaining woven seams.

In terms of animation, I suggest first dividing the two rigid ends and the center inflatable section into separate meshes, as this would allow you to animate the aforementioned mesh elements individually in Unity:

- If the inflation of the module only changes the center section's width, then it's a simple matter of animating a change in the X and Z scales

- If you want the module to change in length as well, in addition to animating changes in the center sections X/Y/Z scales, you'll need to also move the two rigid ends. This is potentially more troublesome, as the attachment nodes might not move along with the animation.

Looking Great!

I have been looking of a Inflatable hab unit for quite sometime! Looking forward to try it out.

When you have got it working and are happy with it, might I suggest you try to make a Toroidal shaped hab-unit?

Lunar-Architecture-Team-studies-Hybrid-Inflatable-Habitat-isometric-internal-view-NASA-Scott-Howe-Larry-Toups-Kriss-Kennedy-et-al-2008-09.jpg

With a 2.5m center module and 3 or 4 1.25m attachments points on the side?

Awesome work, the stockalike hatch and windows are nice. I'm sure there's someone on the forums who can help you with the animation.

I do think I should mention one thing though.

Orion capsule and VASIMR electric engine.

There are already some popular mods that include these, namely Sumghai's Orion-like service module system and the Near Future Propulsion pack, which adds some pretty nice VASIMR engines, among other things.

If you want to stand out, you might want to focus on habitat modules and base parts. We could definitely use a new centrifuge habitat (the one from Bobcat is very much out of date)

Edited by jfull

Looks great!

I don't know if this is helpful, but I've used this inflatable hab in the past. Perhaps you can glean something from the way that one was done if you're still having trouble. It's a couple versions out of date though, and yours looks prettier, so keep up the good work! I agree with jfull that a range of inflatable base/station parts would be a more unique contribution to the modding community. Of course there's nothing wrong with having more options for engines and capsules if that's what you'd prefer.

"We could definitely use a new centrifuge habitat (the one from Bobcat is very much out of date)" And another reason I can't do my ARR, because when i am ready, i am either burnt out, or waiting for a mod to update, usually the latter. But I would love a new centrifuge habitat, and all other inflatable habs, since they are so much easier to handle then giant solid objects.

Wow, thanks for all the kind words and suggestions! I didnt expect this many replies. KSP sure does have a damn nice community.

I'll try to get you a working prototype soon then.

I experimented with adding an IVA to the hab today but no success yet, so I thought I'd start something easier for now and started making the Vasimr model.

(I hope making an engine is easier... should be :rolleyes:)

bHCBQ89.jpg

Looking Great!

I have been looking of a Inflatable hab unit for quite sometime! Looking forward to try it out.

When you have got it working and are happy with it, might I suggest you try to make a Toroidal shaped hab-unit?

http://spacearchitect.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Lunar-Architecture-Team-studies-Hybrid-Inflatable-Habitat-isometric-internal-view-NASA-Scott-Howe-Larry-Toups-Kriss-Kennedy-et-al-2008-09.jpg

With a 2.5m center module and 3 or 4 1.25m attachments points on the side?

That looks pretty cool! I might try and make that some time.

Hi there.

Been working on the internals. Here's a little preview. What do you think?

sGjp1wo.jpg

XSK9dDc.jpg

Also: What do you think the kerbals would keep themselves busy with during long boring space travels? Board games, eating snacks? :D