Mainsails are stronger than i expected...

SoldierHair

Well, all i wanted was to build a 'tank' with an auto'loading' gun.And it ended up being a time machine.

There was once a little armored vehicle that dreamed to have an AT gun

csjW8Hw.png

It signed a pact with the Kraken and it received the wanted gun

r5Fj2ge.png

And OH GOD

DKFxkyD.png

Damn, look at that speed

96OXHlH.png

And after i tried to reload the quicksave the Hell Kraken attacked me and the game crashed.

I only have a few questions: 'How...?' and 'Did anything similar happened to you?'

To this day, the little armored car keeps shooting decouplers into other dimensions/back in time.

I know how high 1300K is. How high is 1300P?

Petameters?

EDIT : Just checked, 1 petameter is 1/10 of a light year so 1300P is 130 light years...

How long did that take?

EDIT : I see it took 18 seconds. Your speed there looks like to the decoupler 7.2 light years per second.

Anyone more familiar with the maths like to work out the actual speed that would cause that time dilation?

It must mean that you got to within very small fractions of lightspeed.

You might need more struts.

Edited by John FX

I know how high 1300K is. How high is 1300P?

Petameters?

EDIT : Just checked, 1 petameter is 1/10 of a light year so 1300P is 130 light years...

How long did that take?

EDIT : I see it took 18 seconds. Your speed there looks like to the decoupler 7.2 light years per second.

Anyone more familiar with the maths like to work out the actual speed that would cause that time dilation?

It must mean that you got to within very small fractions of lightspeed.

You might need more struts.

Looks like he's travelling at roughly 1.57*10^16 m/s. Since light travels at 3*10^8 m/s, that means he's exceeding the speed of light by a factor of 52 320 000. In other words, he's traveling at (5.23*10^7)c.

Time dilation works only as you're approaching the speed of light, and doesn't say anything about what happens beyond it (in fact, I believe the equations then involve complex numbers). Theoretically, you'd move backwards in time when traveling above the speed of light like that, but I'm no expert in the field.

The only force that is capable of such a dramatic acceleration like that would be the dreaded Space Kraken, which the OP appears to have woken from its slumber.

That gun design looks slightly familiar, I use the decouplers kind of as a sabot though and use another part for the 30km/s goodness. And yeah weird things can happen when switching to the projectile.

Actually, that video inspired me :D .I wanted to take the concept and improve it, mount the gun on a mobile platform.

Could you post a close-up of the projectiles you use?Mine seem to be... world breaking.

This looks like a variation on that "fly to the Mun in 10 seconds" thing someone made a little while ago with a few hundred decouplers.

I wholeheartedly approve of such contraptions.

Edit: Never mind, I watched that video and now I understand how the cannon works. This is even better than I thought it was.

Edited by DMagic

Actually, that video inspired me :D .I wanted to take the concept and improve it, mount the gun on a mobile platform.

Could you post a close-up of the projectiles you use?Mine seem to be... world breaking.

Sure, this should make things a bit clearer, it's pretty simple.

screenshot443.png

I have launch assisted Kerbals using such device on the Mün, Minmus and Duna. Needless to say the science experaments where intresting. My Duna Kerbal had made orbit using his Eva pack to give you an Idea on how effective it was. Minmus: They go solar orbit. Mun some Eva pack assistance for orbit.

Why do you have the octagonal struts and not just decouplers?

Watch the following video:

Look in the upper middle-right, you'll see the projectile (octagonal strut) if you watch closely, followed by the decoupler. The decoupler flies at a fraction of the speed the strut does because of weight, the strut is the lightest solid object I've found that makes a good and accurate projectile. (I am working on that however)

The decoupler hits about 500m/s (somewhere in that ballpark), the strut hits faaaaaar greater speeds.

I think however for me, my next step is cheating a version of the gun in to space, I have some ideas abut ship mounted compact versions that could be reloaded, with barrels and better projectiles.

Edited by _Aramchek_

Looks like he's travelling at roughly 1.57*10^16 m/s. Since light travels at 3*10^8 m/s, that means he's exceeding the speed of light by a factor of 52 320 000. In other words, he's traveling at (5.23*10^7)c.

Time dilation works only as you're approaching the speed of light, and doesn't say anything about what happens beyond it (in fact, I believe the equations then involve complex numbers). Theoretically, you'd move backwards in time when traveling above the speed of light like that, but I'm no expert in the field.

The only force that is capable of such a dramatic acceleration like that would be the dreaded Space Kraken, which the OP appears to have woken from its slumber.

If you pretend the 17 seconds is in the accelerated reference frame (in other words, the decoupler experienced 17 seconds of time getting from point A to B) while it took 130 years back on Kerbal for the decoupler to travel that far (which doesn't work because I'm sure you can shift the view back to Kerbal and only 17 seconds have gone by there -- but lets pretend), then the Lorentz factor is going to be that ratio, or 241317470. Solving for velocity it would be 0.9999999979c. If I've got it right, a super-duper collider accelerating protons that fast would have 226 PeV (226,000 TeV) per beam. Compare to the LHCs 4 TeV beams in 2012 and the coming upgrade to 6.5 TeV...

If you point two of those things at each other maybe you can discover if string theory is correct or not...

And that is where I get confused... Because it didn't really take 130 kerbin years for it to travel that far, only it will take 130 years for kerbin to observe that it had traveled that far. If somehow it could travel back to kerbin at the same speed it will have only been gone for 34 seconds but it will have returned 130 years before kerbin could observe it coming about and thats where my head explodes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.