Own up, Who forgot the parachutes?

ttnarg

Ok now how the hell do you people mix up 2 parts that are in completly different sections in tha VAB?

I did laugh pritty damn hard at the storys though, so keep it up. :P

I have a bad habit of tossing parts around in midair until I need them... or if I go to re-arrange a portion of the rocket, I just take it apart and put it back together without grabbing new parts.

I used to forget solar panels ALL THE TIME on tiny little probes. I'd have them on the rest of the ship, but as soon as I jettisoned a probe, it'd just go dead. D'OH!

Also yesterday, I forgot a communication device on a lunar lander...

good thing the design was still fudged up and I never got to munar orbit. I went to transmit a crew report... "NO COMMUNICATION DEVICE!"

I'm just glad that I didn't make it all the way to the Mun haha...

I made a few more changes... including adding 4 antennas (always carry 3 spares!) and finally landed in the east-side crater.

Edited by User Unrelated

So, what you're saying is that I should stop drinking beer and playing until 2 AM?

Sacrilege! :cool:

One or the other would certainly help (says the guy who's been up since 5AM... Yesterday. I don't sleep on a normal 24 hour schedule. Too many late nights led me to adopting a 48 hour "day"), but sometimes either can be just the inspiration you need to make something crazy work.

Yeah, that did happen to me to. Or forgetting solar panels with a probe, heh.

Forgetting the chutes isn't so much a problem as coming into Duna hot at interplanetary speed and the chute just rips right off when it opens.

More aerobraking next time? maybe just more chutes.

Ow well, the crew lived, and I managed to rescue them.

This might help then :)

Last week. The detachable command/piloting segment of my station lifter, which Jeb was supposed to fly up, then return home in (after leaving my new Kerbal Skylab in geostationary orbit)... lacked a parachute. So Jeb has become a semipermanent member of the science team... perched up in his command pod, hanging off the side of the station.

I really need to get a retrieval vessel up there to get him home.

I didn't FORGET the parachute... but the 'chute forgot how to work today.

Almost lost my (second) favorite kerbal after a very successful Mun landing.

screenshot43_zps45125ba0.png

800m... 700... 600... 500... 400?... 300!? :confused: FULL ENGINE THRUST

WHAT IS GOING ON

OH GOD OH GOD

just barely saved it... had a nice little... uh... 15m/s kiss with the ground at a weird angle (with no landing legs) after frantically trying to get the craft vertical after the initial booster flip-out.

I had .01 liquid fuel left when I hit the ground.

Edited by User Unrelated

Who needs parachutes? That's what wings are for. Of course, I pack parachutes on the ejectable cockpit just in case of accidents.

That totally made me picture a command pod with a couple winglets on it flying around like a plane. xD

I made one probe lander that I use for everything. It's got parachutes, but obviously those aren't used for places without atmosphere (and the legs aren't used when I'm not landing it either).

So far it's served me well on Kerbin, the Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike, and Eve. Missions planned to Gilly, Dres, and Jool (and its moons).

Yep - I remember my first trip around the Mun in the demo version. Awe inspiring pictures from space - check. View of Kerbinrise from Munar orbit - check. Navigating to and from Munar orbit - check (this was without maneuver nodes so I was pretty happy about that last part!)

It was all going so beautifully well until the very last 20 km or so where poor old Jeb, Bill and Bob learned the hard way that it doesn't matter how many times Mission Control mashes the spacebar - if you aint packed the parachutes its not going to help.

I can't remember ever forgetting parachutes, but I often forget to correct my staging in the VAB. And sometimes even before Launch:

Stage! Hey, Why are the clamps still attached?

Stage! flying SRBs and clamps attached?!

Stage! Explosions! Abort!!!

Luckily, I had a working LES. As it turned out, the launch clamps somehow got in the 3rd Staging event, after ignition and SRB separation and together with 1st center stage separation Oo

I can't remember ever forgetting parachutes, but I often forget to correct my staging in the VAB. And sometimes even before Launch:

Stage! Hey, Why are the clamps still attached?

Stage! flying SRBs and clamps attached?!

Stage! Explosions! Abort!!!

Luckily, I had a working LES. As it turned out, the launch clamps somehow got in the 3rd Staging event, after ignition and SRB separation and together with 1st center stage separation Oo

I'm normally the other way, release the launch clamps when the mainsails start, sadly on the super heavy lifter it needs the extra thrust of the SRBs to get off the pad.....and I usually start the mainsails and throttle upto 100% on starting a launch sequence..

Start the engines... start throttle up.... oh dear I seem to have gone in a downwards direction... still nice explosions....and the crew survived... somehow

Boris

On a few occasions.

The only time it was really a problem though was when I was testing an Eve Lander, and I actually flew the thing manned.

Since it was equipped to only do orbital rendezvous around Eve and not actually enter an atmosphere beyond Evian arrival, I ended up having to try and land Jeb in the ocean using only an LV-909. He died, but he got better later.

I'm normally the other way, release the launch clamps when the mainsails start, sadly on the super heavy lifter it needs the extra thrust of the SRBs to get off the pad.....and I usually start the mainsails and throttle upto 100% on starting a launch sequence..

Start the engines... start throttle up.... oh dear I seem to have gone in a downwards direction... still nice explosions....and the crew survived... somehow

Boris

You know you can throttle up before starting the engines right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.