[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Hey guys sorry to be the nTh + 1 people to be having issues but really looking to actually play with mods:-). I am running the normal suite of part mods, b9, kw, interstellar, stock and my ksp crashes on load every single time. I watched the task manager while loading and i never made it past 1.5gb of ram and im still getting memory access issues.

If anyone can point me in the right direction i would be very grateful. Thanks!

I'm using the latest version of this mod and also KSPI 10.2, which is the latest at this point. I saw the config and I'm using the one provided, but really I don't know where the warp effect is placed.

Is 10.3 now, I think...

Just a headsup to everyone looking for mod config updates, Rbray has stopped putting a lot of time into this because his Visual Enhancement mod needed a lot of love. There is a lot of valuable information in the texturecompressor.tcfg file about how to setup your own config files and to update old ones. It literally takes a minute to copy and paste part locations and such. A little time consuming but remember, Rbray would of had to update them himself individually as well so why not show him a little love by updating it for him :) Then the next patch can come quicker because it is already done. Tada. :)

I use Blizzy's toolbar and the basic version of this mod, and I've noticed that the custom mouse cursors (especially corner resize) get corrupted on the Windows version of the game - in my case the corner resize arrow cursor looks like a black square. I suspected it might be happening because of texture compression, so I "fixed" it by deleting the cache directory "GameData\BoulderCo\textureCompressorCache\000_Toobar" and editing the config file "GameData\BoulderCo\textureCompressorConfigs\000_Toolbar.tcfg" so it looks like this:

config_enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
000_Toolbar/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

Doing this makes the cursors show up properly again, but is this the correct way to fix it, or am I just hiding the real problem?

Edited by OrbitalDebris

I use Blizzy's toolbar and the basic version of this mod, and I've noticed that the custom mouse cursors (especially corner resize) get corrupted on the Windows version of the game - in my case the corner resize arrow cursor looks like a black square. I suspected it might be happening because of texture compression, so I "fixed" it by deleting the cache directory "GameData\BoulderCo\textureCompressorCache\000_Toobar" and editing the config file "GameData\BoulderCo\textureCompressorConfigs\000_Toolbar.tcfg" so it looks like this:

config_enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
000_Toolbar/.*
{
compress = false
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}

Doing this makes the cursors show up properly again, but is this the correct way to fix it, or am I just hiding the real problem?

With that you are overriding the complete 000_Toolbar folder (that's what the "/.*" means). But probably no problem, in the specific case of toolbar, graphics are small icons of a few kB... so you don't gonna lose memory compression in general terms.

Edited by Proot

@Proot

Right, in addition I wasn't sure why we would want compression or mipmaps on the default toolbar graphics (both compress and mipmaps are set to true on the packaged config). That's why I was asking if this was the correct fix - I was wondering if there was something I don't know :)

hi,

Is there any possibility to use the compressor with direct x 11 mode? DX 10 seams to work but ksp crashes on start if set to -force-d3d11 at commandline parameter.

With out the compressor it starts but of course it crashes because of the 6 gb ram usage -.-

I thought about it, but realistically, mbms are already setup to use the correct format, and alpha dropping ruined the normalmaps.

That's what I mean by selective, so you can only alpha drop textures, not normals.

Also, have you considered using a different, newer, compression algorithm that won't mess with normals, like BC4 or BC5? Or will Unity not allow this?

I`ve somehow a bit a problem with some interior Grafics.

You know this big (Stock) lander capsule (with 3 people)

nearly all textures are now blank black.

The same bye the way with the big capsule at the novapunch Mod.

Know not if this is a by this related Problem but perhaps someone knows it and have an idea?

Not sure if bug or not but the mod fails to make a cache for PlanetFactory. I do have the latest version with the config included.

I tried changing the line "compress = false" to true. I tried removing the "OVERRIDES" code altogether like most of my other configs but it still fails to make a cache.

Not sure if bug or not but the mod fails to make a cache for PlanetFactory. I do have the latest version with the config included.

I tried changing the line "compress = false" to true. I tried removing the "OVERRIDES" code altogether like most of my other configs but it still fails to make a cache.

does the mod folder match the config name exactly? (including case)

Yes, I even tried copy pasting the name. I already made about 10 simple configs for other mods and they work.

What do you mean exactly by "(including case)"?

It means these are three completely different things:

"HeLLo"

"Hello"

"hello"

All the same word but completely different when something is case sensitive.

It means these are three completely different things:

"HeLLo"

"Hello"

"hello"

All the same word but completely different when something is case sensitive.

Ah. Thanks, m8

Well then. The name of the folder and file are exactly the same so there's something else preventing the texture compressor of accessing it.

"First load will take a long time. Following loads will be considerably shorter (usually half as long)"

Strange, all my loadings are the same length :huh:

Have I done something wrong? I just need to put the "boulderco" folder in my gamedata, right?

"First load will take a long time. Following loads will be considerably shorter (usually half as long)"

Strange, all my loadings are the same length :huh:

Have I done something wrong? I just need to put the "boulderco" folder in my gamedata, right?

yes. Is there a cache folder in your boulderCo/textureCompressor folder?

I think the idea would be that the shader would have to, but as it stands, the unity shader compiler most certainly does not, and even then, I don't have the KSP shader source to create new shaders, and I don't have any of the field names to grab the original values from the materials to create new materials with the new shaders.

This just isn't possible from within a mod, and I don't think it is possible within unity.

I think it should be possible. Those compression algorithms are built into DirectX 10 and later. They are also built into OpenGL 4.x. I don't think there is an issue with the shader language supporting them, as it should do so transparently. The bigger concern is that unlike DTX1 and DTX3 there are some minor differences between the OpenGL and DirectX implementation of these algorithms. The Direct X algorithms are named BC4 and BC5, but the OpenGL algorithms come in 4 different varieties, two each of of RG Compression and LA Compression. To make matters more confusion BC5 and BC4 are differentiated by the varient of each of these two algorithms you call, the RG and LA version determines if they use color space rotation. (Color space rotation is very favorable for Normals.)

While it's not impossible to implement these without Unity's native support, it would definitely be easier if it had hooks, saving you writing all the code yourself.

I probably should go and look for you. (I'm great at the whole research thing.) However, you may end up waiting for the next KSP release, as a lot more features should be available.

OK, unfortunately the Online manual is for Unity 4.0, when the latest version is 4.2.3.

No doubt the section on texture compression is out of date.

I'm going to have to download the whole Unity dev kit and see for myself. (Pain in the butt)

Apparently as of 4.0 it has ATC support built in for Android, but not for the Desktop player. However, since so many clueless programmers use Unity presuming it would automatically port to OS X and Linux without any changes, and at the release date of 4.0 most OS X systems were running OpenGL 3.x, I suspect it simply hasn't been implemented to prevent problems with twice as much video memory being used "for no reason" in porting. I've seen several people on the forums and Q&A boards attempting to use compression methods incompatible with their target platform to much the same effect. (Which is pretty stupid when they have a platform-default option for Android and iOS, that chooses the best algorithm available based on your quality settings.)

Edited by Ruedii
Moar details