Worst place to build a base?

Agent86

Obviously Mun, minmus, laythe, duna and ike are great places to build bases, but considering what you've seen out there, what would be the worst/least useful/hardest place to put a modular base?

Pol would suck pretty bad, it's small, tricky to get to, and finding a flat surface there is like trying to find a leprechaun.

Tylo, hard to land on, equally hard to take off again.

Eeloo. Hard to get to, and it takes ages to get there. Its pretty easy to find areas to build them on the surface though.

Actually an Eeloo base is my next project after I finish my grand-tour (and fix my laptop back up to speed)

Pol would suck pretty bad, it's small, tricky to get to, and finding a flat surface there is like trying to find a leprechaun.

I have an increasingly extensive base on Pol. Not modular, kind of gave up on those what with the saggy landing legs of 0.22 . . . impossible to line anything up anyway as everything will be end up at a random height / tilt.

Mainly because I like the way it looks from orbit and its easy as pie to get up and down from. It pretty much an ideal stop over / jumping off point for the rest of the Jool system.

8D09A9EF5B46AA369AA142CA39E061960BC598AE

Tylo definatly. . I hate Tylo. . . always getting in the way and screwing up my maneuvers.

Tylo is No1 on "The List".

Edited by Bishop149

Logistically? Moho. Oh, how i hate this dirtball, and its fast, inclined orbit deep down in Kerbol's gravity well. No matter how much spare dV my ship is carrying, and how good TWR is - i'm always tense during rendez-vous, anxiously checking how much time i have before my ship slingshots into kerbolar orbit. Gah. Sending science mision is one thing. Building and maintaining permanent base there? Oh, the horror...

I agree with Richy,

Gilly is the hardest place. I once tried to make a *base* on it, but It floats.. nvm... dat gravity kills you, If you accidently pressed WASD then it will begin ascending hahaha!

Btw, I once Landed a kerbal on gilly from my station ( 45kmX30km orbit ), I EVA'ed him, kept thrusting retro-grade and landed straight on gilly, then took off and rendezvoused with it! on 2% left btw. it was really hard..

BUT! ITS REALLY FUN!

I put an Extraplanetary launchpad and kethane base on Eve. Because launching is so much fun and Kerbin wasnt hardcore enough.

Seriously, it's useless, I musta been drunk when I first made that call, then it was just funny.

KSC.

I don't think there's any "worse" place to build a base; the majority of examples provided in this thread are difficult base building locations, not necessarily bad ones. If you can build a full space base in a Mohole then you will be considered an amazing person, not someone who build their base in the worst place possible.

Jool - on account of it being impossible to set up a base on the surface :P I guess it would be possible to set up a base that used balloons to stay afloat in the atmosphere, but I'm not sure if you can switch vessels with mods that add balloons.

The hardest I would think is Tylo, it's far away and a b**** to land on! I guess maybe the tiny planets like Bop, Gilly and Pol would also be pretty hard places to set up shop because of the low gravity making it almost impossible to dock a base together.

KSC.

I don't think there's any "worse" place to build a base; the majority of examples provided in this thread are difficult base building locations, not necessarily bad ones. If you can build a full space base in a Mohole then you will be considered an amazing person, not someone who build their base in the worst place possible.

I don't get how KSC is in a bad base location. It's pretty much in Kerbin's equator, which makes it easy to get into a stable, 0° inclination orbit around Kerbin, so it's actually in a great location.

This technically means that any base not in the equator is a bad base, unless you're in a planet with an inclined orbit, such as Eve.

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole

If a base means something you visit and later return, then Eve and Tylo are the worst places. Do Jool and Kerbol count? :P

Gilly is ok, you just have to raise terrain detail to the maximum level (keeping it max every time you visit the base with the track station) and pick a nice spot.

I don't get how KSC is in a bad base location. It's pretty much in Kerbin's equator, which makes it easy to get into a stable, 0° inclination orbit around Kerbin, so it's actually in a great location.

This technically means that any base not in the equator is a bad base, unless you're in a planet with an inclined orbit, such as Eve.

Er...KSC is a permanent base in itself, only with the capability of launching an infinite number of rockets with an infinite amount of fuel in total. If you want a refuelling station for crafts landing at KSC, all you need to do is launch one on the launchpad and dock with it.

There's no reason to build a base at KSC, and that's why it's bad.

There's a reason to build a base anywhere else in the Kerbal system, and that's because it's not at KSC and therefore you can't launch rockets from it so have to resupply them, store Kerbals and so on.

:)

Eve. High gravity, check. Pea soup atmo, check. Areas not made of ground, check. Suddenly your land based planetary base is splashing down in pieces on an ocean of purple. Your docking ports won't line up. Your engines are destroyed. Solar panels broke on landing. And worst of all: you can't explore because the kerbals end up seasick and you can't walk on the platforms you've set up to get from area to area. They just keep laying down until they fall off.

Alternatively, Minmus. I've got well over 15 Kerbals stranded on it, each with partially destroyed ships. Too much gravity to land a big ship gently, not enough to influence something small, and passing gas makes you float off again.

In terms of landing, I think either Moho or Tylo. In terms of the worst place in general for a base, I think I'd have to say Eve. Punishing gravity and scalding atmosphere for the poor residents, and nearly impossible to get off of. I really like Gilly bases becasue I just clamp down base modules with grappling hooks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.