Caelib

Have you landed on Tylo?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Have you landed on Tylo?

• Yes!
    • No, I have tried but failed!
    • No, I have never tried.
    • What's Tylo?

Unscheduled Destructive Lithocapture (UDLC) is the most appropriate term if you collide with the surface of an object from a hyperbolic flyby, I believe. Not to be confused with Hardware-Assisted Lithobraking, which is lining up your periapsis so it's a few meters below the surface and using wheel brakes to drop your apoapsis a bit when you bounce off. Hardware-Assisted Lithocapture from a hyperbolic trajectory is probably impossible in all or most locales, but I could be wrong about that.

yeah, I totally made all that up.

Edit: Gosh diddly darn it, I gone got ninja'd again

Hardware-Assisted Lithocapture from a hyperbolic trajectory is probably impossible in all or most locales, but I could be wrong about that.

Might be safe on Gilly and perhaps even Bop using small set of safe hyperbolic trajectories.

I've used HyperEdit to get a lander in orbit and (successfully) test it, but I've never legit done a mission.

That way i managed to land on Tylo too. I made so many mistakes during the first attempt doing a Grand Tour to Jool, i wanted a bit of certainty, that the new design can at least make it.

My current lander is not only capable of landing on Tylo, but also can be used as a Lander for Val, Bop and Pol, after dropping the Tylo landing stage and returning back from its surface.

And it has a slim profile, being not wider than a 2.5m tank in full Tylo-configuration. After dropping the Tylo-stage it would almost fit inside a Rockomax X200-16 fuel tank... while delivering

3.000 m/s of Delta V and having a TWR of almost 5 on Tylo.

nfWnopC.png

I will go on another attempt to do the Jool Grand Tour, when .25 is out, so i can make use of the new spaceplane parts.

The lander is completely stock and has no clipped parts.

Edited by Frank_G

I made 2 landings on Tylo with my Tylo Prime Lander

brA4dNK.png

I used 3 mods, MechJeb, Kethane and Kommet Nucleonics.

The lander was designed with 2 main engines clusters, Cluster One had four FtmN 40Kn Atomic engines and Cluster two had 2 Aerospikes and a lot of fuel. A heavy lander to be sure but I went for OverKill on thrust and counted on refueling on the ground.

The landing was complicated by several factors, First I needed to scan Tylo for a Kethane patch I hoped for a path on the 0 degree inclination but didn't get one . Secondly mechjeb was behaving badly when I tried to land. My first attempt I aborted as Mech jeb kept turning off the Aerospikes and I had to refuel at the mother ship.

What I did was make a burn the nuke in the general direction of a Large kethane patch and set up a orbit above it, then burned for a while with the nukes to get a high angle descent and let mechjeb land using the land somewhere setting. It was a wild ride, I burned 95% of my fuel to get down and I didn't have confidance it was going to work until about 4000m when mechjeb showed my DV of fuel was slightly greater than what was needed to land. But My second landing didn't make it I had to make a restart it as I burned too much fuel setting up the landing and ran out of fuel about 900m with over 400m/s Dv needed to land.

Take off was no problem, with the kethane refueling the lander but I used 80% of the fuel to get back to orbit..

Tylo is difficult to land, and anyone who makes it should be proud of the achievement

Edited by OgreMagi

Tylo is one of the meh-iest moons I've ever seen in my life, so I avoided it for the longest time. High grav, meh-y moon. Of the Joolian subsystem, the meh-ness is topped only by Bop.

Anyhow people seem to think it's important, and I decided to finally force myself to land on every body in the Kerbin system (well, that would make sense to land on), so here's what I used:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It pretty much looks like my usual re-usable Mun lander, only with staging and looong tanks.

Science results: This is indeed a meh moon. The meh level is 9,213, second only to Bop at 10,521 in this region of space.

I did and had the right ship, just a hair to little fuel for the descent stage. The ship had to burn 70 percent of the ascent stage's fuel as well. Thankfully the ascent stage had so much delta V I limped into a suborbit where my RCS could circularize. Wehrmy's victory was short lived however as a rescue ship could not reach him before the great extinction of .24 hit. Version 2 of my descent module has about 20 seconds more of fuel for braking.

Edited by sumrex

I've landed with a probe. But not tried to take off. Its very tricky to get it down safely though. Its like riding down a steep slope with crappy brakes, as soon as you let things run a little, its hard to pull it back up again.

I've landed with a crewed lander and made it back into orbit. Because of the lander beeing so big, i had the chance to take a lot of equipment with me, with which i explored the surface. I had a rover, and some probes i deployed via KAS to get as much science as possible from the surface.

Been playing for almost a year, and now that I've finally made it to Tylo and returned I feel like I can venture onto the forums as a (rookie) peer. Either way, I was really proud of the landing and return playing Hardcore mode (no quicksave, no reverts of any kind, and the hardest part: no Kerbal Engineer Redux!) and sent Jebediah on the first attempt! I was definitely sweating bullets on that landing though…

I hit this roadblock last year and have not been back to Kerbal since. I was on a mission to put a satellite in orbit and a rover on the surface of each moon and planet.

Jool's moons were the last ones for me to do... and Tylo proved the strumbling block.

My lander has the theoretical amount of fuel needed to land (mechjeb did it).... but I can not manually land the same lander.

I am sure the itch will gnaw at me until I complete the last couple objects. Considering I did it all on an old laptop that was slow.... I should find using my gaming desktop may make it easier.

Landed and left. Trick is to bring your peri down to around 2k. Keep an eye on your descent rate (the dial next to the altimeter) and try to keep it around -50 as you get closer the ground. If you start to fall faster, get your ship more vertical to kill off your descent rate. Keep doing this untli your horizontal speed is "landable". It's a fine balance between slowing your horizontal and vertical speeds.

Needed to launch 3 ships - the lander etc, a fuel ship to get the lander etc well on it's way, and a 3rd (ion drive, chair ship) to go and get the Kerbal and bring him home. If not in career mode and expense wasn't an issue, I might have built a monster rocket to get all 3 up. The SRBs are so much cheaper ..

I used the same rockets to get to Laythe, only the lander had parachutes.

The outer fuel tanks on the lander were nearly empty on landing on Tylo, and nearly completely full on landing on Laythe. They both got back into orbit.

Sending a ship with just a chair, or a ship with just a probe, needed just one 30-strength engine and just 3 x 45 size fuel tanks. The rockets to get them up and over to Jool are dramatically smaller (and much cheaper for a career game).

My landings can be a bit clumsy, so I need a wide base to avoid toppling over.

Tylo Takeoff

7EZfUP7.jpg

Tylo PreLand

qUPDjxg.jpg

Tylo Landed

dNbjNID.jpg

Laythe Landed

7fNRKel.jpg

AstroDoc

Edited by AstroDoc
Fixed IMG tags.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.