[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Since we're in a new year, I thought I'd have a go at starting the project back up :). I'm going to take it slow, since I still have those RL commitments I mentioned, but I hope to try and get a number of in-progress parts finished

Welcome back! :) It pleases me to see you return, I really love what you have done with the pack. You are one of the reasons I picked up modelling myself too. Remember to pace yourself - do not burn yourself out as many other modellers sadly do - and above all remember to have a lot of fun.

Edited by Camacha

It's because some people don't like or can't have too many parts because they, like I do, play on a potato.

I know, but i mean like, how about one of those fancy joints that are coupled as a light? Can put one right above this landing leg for wider field of light.

Although, I think I will have to see where these lights are if they are going to be included to say for sure.

Since there seems to be a difference of opinion on adding a light to this foot (with both sides having valid points), I thought it best to create a poll: http://strawpoll.me/3359941

It would be welcomed if you could answer the question on it. I'll use that to make a decision.

I know, but i mean like, how about one of those fancy joints that are coupled as a light? Can put one right above this landing leg for wider field of light.

I'm not familiar with this. Was it something I previewed, 'cause I can't remember?

Might it be possible to include a modular light? Something you may or may not add?

What did you have in mind? Got any details or pictures of what you're imagining?

--------------------------------------------------

Edit:

A set of propulsion parts fitting the IR rework visual style could be cool, but Firespitter already has foldable electric propellers and the USI Exploration pack has some very slick electric ducted fans.
I wasn't aware of the ducted fans in the USI Exploration Pack. They're very similar to one of the ideas I had in mind. Edited by ZodiusInfuser

@ZodiusInfuser IIRC, sirkut redid the models on some of the parts a while back to work properly with the changes made in IR 19.2 or 19.3. If you haven't done so already and it's not too much bother would you mind updating the download on the first page to include those modified parts? TIA.

I'm not familiar with this. Was it something I previewed, 'cause I can't remember?

Oh no, it was kind of an idea I have. When I use your parts, I tend to attach small lights at the hinge where it doesn't move around much, and it provides some lights to the area around in addition to being shiny~

For the record, while earlier I raised a question about the usefulness of a light on landing leg, it was because I have no idea where the light would be. I was thinking it might be at the base, which means after landing it will shine just a little piece of ground underneath it, which is kind of silly. But now that I think about it, just angled lights from the sides, or even lights on the legs on itself would be amazing already.

Also, I don't mind if there is a light or if there is not one. I am not picky about it. I was just writing my thoughts. Follow your creative whim and make amazing things!

Thanks for the thoughts on the light. I've gone ahead and included one in the model, and managed to get the part in-game. Took me quite a while to figure out animations, but I'm happy with the result :). I'm making use of the stock animation module at the moment. Is this a good enough one to use, or should I be looking at a community alternative?

_acc0ab927b6041e2bc474d908cdbc341

What did you have in mind? Got any details or pictures of what you're imagining?

I was thinking of maybe having a small light that would attach via an attach point in the bottom centre of the foot, between the spreading toes/feet. I am not sure the models allows for that, as I cannot see the whole thing, but that would keep things flexible. You might even use the same light on other parts.

Guys there's nothing to debate here. If you don't want the light you can remove it from the "Lights" action group, because afaik all lights are automatically placed there.

That might be a little obtuse, there is nothing wrong with evaluating the options.

That might be a little obtuse, there is nothing wrong with evaluating the options.

For it to be obtuse I would have had to ignore some fact or argument that definitively refutes the idea of the lamp.

My argument stands.

There are more options though. It may be possible to add or remove the lamp in the VAB wits JSIPartUtilities.

I am imagining the lights to be in between the..uh..toes? That way when you are about to land, with all the legs pointing down, you get lights directly down. But when you are ascertain of your location and slowly going down, you can spread it open and see things around you at the same time, albeit at a low level when on ground, but it would still more useful than lights that only pointing in one direction.

There are more options though. It may be possible to add or remove the lamp in the VAB wits JSIPartUtilities.

Make it button toggleable is an option too. You might even be able to do that with stock animations, though actually casting light while also animating could be tricky.

For it to be obtuse I would have had to ignore some fact or argument that definitively refutes the idea of the lamp.

I never refuted the idea of the lamp, merely the idea that there is no discussion to be held about it :)

I was thinking of maybe having a small light that would attach via an attach point in the bottom centre of the foot, between the spreading toes/feet. I am not sure the models allows for that, as I cannot see the whole thing, but that would keep things flexible. You might even use the same light on other parts.

Honestly its easier for me to integrate a light directly into the foot than make a separate part. Also, it allows me to tie in light parameters to the toe unfolding animation (which I just discovered is possible :D ). I'm thinking of setting it up so the light is narrow and long when folded up, and wide and short when deployed. Would this be useful for people?

Honestly its easier for me to integrate a light directly into the foot than make a separate part. Also, it allows me to tie in light parameters to the toe unfolding animation (which I just discovered is possible :D ). I'm thinking of setting it up so the light is narrow and long when folded up, and wide and short when deployed. Would this be useful for people?

What module do you use for that? I picked up part making not too long ago and these kinds of things suddenly interest me a lot :D

I stand by my modular approach for KSP, but I am sure you will make something interesting out of it if you decide to go another route.

What module do you use for that? I picked up part making not too long ago and these kinds of things suddenly interest me a lot :D

I'm just using the stock anim module. The clever stuff is Unity side with nested animations so that KSP can control the light intensity but I can control its angle and range. This would not be possible if I was to go the separate part route. Also, the last thing I'll say about this having an integrated light is that the stock landing gear also has one, so I think I'm allowed :P

Edit: Regarding a different part, does anyone know of a third-party plugin that allows for surface samples to be taken without a kerbal, and that requires the part to be touching the ground? I asked this a long while ago but cannot remember the answer, and maybe some new developments have happened since that time.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

does anyone know of a third-party plugin that allows for surface samples to be taken without a kerbal, and that requires the part to be touching the ground? I asked this a long while ago but cannot remember the answer, and maybe some new developments have happened since that time.

DMagic has a part that requires contact(X-Ray Diffraction Surface Analyzer) and also another part that takes surface samples(Exobiology Core Drill). You might be able to combine them. He uses his own plugin for those parts. I've not looked into it yet though.

Also, the last thing I'll say about this having an integrated light is that the stock landing gear also has one, so I think I'm allowed :P

With all the great work you have done before you do not need to be allowed. It is going to rock either way, I am sure :) I am most interested to see these lighting shenanigans!

I just spotted some of the newer developments. I do not know how you are so prolific, but I love it.

Well, I think I've got the landing foot in a good enough state for people to test. Eventually it will go into the Utilities pack, but for now here's a separate download for people to play about with: https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pli/IR_LandingFoot_Beta.zip/_60e25059d7b948f08be06613fe48e1c2

If you could provide feedback (not that there will be much with something that's just a part), that would be appreciated. Also share pictures of what you start using it for. Here's some I did :)

_86cb6a66ba494597836f57c95448c56c

_f8e128bd5dc146479a45138de4f2e572

_89dde7680d00482a842b714b72b1d3fb

--------------------------------------------------

DMagic has a part that requires contact(X-Ray Diffraction Surface Analyzer) and also another part that takes surface samples(Exobiology Core Drill). You might be able to combine them. He uses his own plugin for those parts. I've not looked into it yet though.

Thanks. I've given the XRay Surface Analyzer a go and that seems to be ideal (and is certainly something that wasn't around when I asked back in august). Am able to make it count towards the standard surface sample experiment, but have contacted DMagic to figure out how to do the rest.

The feet/foot looks good and the light is actually exactly where I imagined it. The model looks appropriately neat and in line with your previous work. The use for the light might be a bit limited though, mostly because the broad mode still only yields a small bright spot when the foot is landed somewhere. I guess that is the consequence of putting the light where it is. Functionality wise it seems good to have a firm, wide stance. Maybe the animation of the small flaps could start a little earlier when the main prongs are still deploying, though that is probably a matter of personal taste.

It looks to be a neat addition to the Athlete parts you already have :)

full.png

The feet/foot looks good and the light is actually exactly where I imagined it. The model looks appropriately neat and in line with your previous work. The use for the light might be a bit limited though, mostly because the broad mode still only yields a small bright spot when the foot is landed somewhere. I guess that is the consequence of putting the light where it is. Functionality wise it seems good to have a firm, wide stance. Maybe the animation of the small flaps could start a little earlier when the main prongs are still deploying, though that is probably a matter of personal taste.

Thanks for the feedback. I admit the light spot isn't particularly wide when the foot is deployed, but I didn't want to have it too wide. I may play about with the light settings some more though, as I've noticed they're far too bright compared to stock lights (both this and the grabber).

If I can't get better light settings, there is the prospect of scrapping the light and switching it for a LaserDist instead. That may be more useful in the long run as it would enable this sort of thing with the foot. Thoughts?

Cool robot btw! The folded foot looks good as an end effector! Maybe using LaserDist would give that setup more of a use?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.