[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Do you think you can get it on a par visually with Ven's revamp mod?

I personally cannot, as I'm not a texturer. It would be my intention to have all the parts up to that level before release, but that would need either Porkjet (who textured the structural parts), Nertea or Ven (to name a few) to collaborate on the project with me, and we're not at that stage yet.

Btw, regarding my earlier point about LaserDist, here is what placing the existing part underneath looks like:

_ff968adbf19f4d3398e52f66a6c894cd

Unfortunately, the LaserDist part is too long for the unfolded foot state so fires underground, hence the suggestion of combining it with the part.

Edit: The current beta version of the landing foot is here if people wish to try it out: https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pli/IR_LandingFoot_Beta.zip/_60e25059d7b948f08be06613fe48e1c2

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

I'd like to make a request, which you should feel free to ignore if time and/or motivation is a factor.

What this mod is missing the most right now is gantries.

It's on my list, and is the one thing that the Robotics pack is lacking before I look at getting the parts textured. I've yet to find a design I'm happy with yet though, and that's after trawling through hundreds of images on google (had the same issue designing the pistons). For now I'm focusing on the Utility pack since there's models ready that just need implementing in game.

Could we get one (by way of Tweakscale if it works on that or another foot) that goes inside the inside foldatron when the inside foldatron is inside the normal foldatron? There isn't much at all fits inside that at the moment.

Here's another request if you're interested: a very long, skinny hinge, essentially a laterally stretched (and smashed in other dimensions) pivotron that would be useful for joining a panel to a panel, let's say. It would essentially look like a long cylinder. Great for using structural panels to make ramps and stuff. Here's a crappy drawing:

crappyHingeDrawing.png

I welcome you all for the requests; however, could I ask for people to hold off from asking for new parts for a while. I'm slowly getting back into KSP modding and don't want to begin stressing over getting requests done. I've got a long list of 50ish parts (may be a slight exageration but I've not got my sheet with me to check) to do before the model Rework is complete, so chances are your request is already on there (like that wide hinge for example).

--------------------------------------------------

Had a bit of time this evening so managed to get the surface sampler part in-game. For those that doesn't know, the idea of this part is that it will allow you to do surface samples (and maybe asteroid samples) without a Kerbal by placing it end on the ground. Does not work yet, but I'm in talks with DMagic to figure something out. It does have a light though, just in case you fall into a dark crater and need to take a sample before your power runs out :P.

_cb0e95609e744ad3b20ea5dd1492042d

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Do you think you can get it on a par visually with Ven's revamp mod?

If I am honest, I do not think the parts need that much more. Though they are textured in a very basic manner right now, they do have most of what makes a good texture: a good look, which functions in concert with the parts and that separates them from other parts while still blending in.

Maybe some AO or highlights will blend them in a bit more, but I do not think they really need a lot of fiddling with. Let us not forget that stock textures are also painted and not too highly detailed.

If I can't get better light settings, there is the prospect of scrapping the light and switching it for a LaserDist instead. That may be more useful in the long run as it would enable this sort of thing with the foot. Thoughts?

I am a big fan of the LaserDist mod, though I am not sure that adding it as a dependency will make things better.

I know I am a terrible nag for saying this, but a modular part would allow people to either go for a light, LaserDist or forego the part completely.

Cool robot btw! The folded foot looks good as an end effector!

Closed they look really rather neat, when the feet are opened they are a bit too wide to be an end effector, though they do look like some kind of horrific unknown weapon :D

Would the surface sampler allow them to take samples without a kerbal? Or are you going to have it running with different types of science definitions like DMagic?

Yes to the first question, no to the second. I always wanted KSP to have an unmanned way of taking surface samples. After all, thats what the curiosity rover does, as well as the planned sample return missions. So this science will count towards your normal surface sample experiment, rather than adding a new experiment definition. The catch is that the drill only has a very short depth, meaning making some kind of robot arm to place it on the surface become necessary :)

Hi ZodiacInfuser,

Love your parts, and a must have download for me(Although I haven't really made use of them yet, not smart enough to fully utilize them :P)

That being said, on the new lander legs, they look as if they would be perfect for hiding thrusters inside, making for an elegant combination for vertical landing operations., Of course size would have to be significantly scaled up to incorporate even a 1.25m engine, so not sure if you are interested in making a variation for that(If you do, can I beg for one that opens up to a back and front foot instead of a quad foot? With that, I might actually go forth with my dreams of making a macross Valkyrie ingame...

Hi ZodiusInfuser,

Love your parts, and a must have download for me(Although I haven't really made use of them yet, not smart enough to fully utilize them :P)

Thanks! Its always nice to hear that people enjoy my parts :)

That being said, on the new lander legs, they look as if they would be perfect for hiding thrusters inside, making for an elegant combination for vertical landing operations., Of course size would have to be significantly scaled up to incorporate even a 1.25m engine, so not sure if you are interested in making a variation for that(If you do, can I beg for one that opens up to a back and front foot instead of a quad foot? With that, I might actually go forth with my dreams of making a macross Valkyrie ingame...

It isn't my intention to create a scaled up version. Instead I'm leaving it to the user to construct this sort of thing using the foot and athlete parts (note that this is an old image, but shows the idea):

_580cff45bfd649c0bd75c9f657000d25

Btw, if anyone wants to try this out, you can download the foot in its beta form from here: https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pli/IR_LandingFoot_Beta.zip/_60e25059d7b948f08be06613fe48e1c2

I just realized the leg can also be combined with the surface sampler for a simple, but incredibly efficient utility object. How are the wheels going, though?

They're not currently. Once I get these utility parts done then I plan to revisit them.

Speaking of utility parts, I've got the animation of the sampler done and DMagic is working on a plugin to make it work as intended :). This has been on my to-do list for a very long time, from when I first saw the Beastly Science mod (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63628-0-23-Beastly-Science-Scoop-O-Matic-and-more!-%28JAN0214%29).

That pic above looks pretty damn cool, just one thing though. Maybe it's me but the leg part there looks like it would intersect any tank placed above that engine.

Master Tao is correct. That image is of the original design before I noticed the clipping problems. I'd love to see how it looks with the new part in-game though. Anyone want to try it out? I won't be on KSP for another 18 hours. Be sure to use the correct athlete part for the top (I forget its name).

Well, guess what, I found an amazing thing to go with the new legs:

i9J6as7rOkbHY.png

i19PdLNkq8ZOC.png

It is the LV-1B from Ven's Stock Revamp. Radial attachment at the bottom of the leg. Fits so perfectly you would think it was made for this leg.

Edited by RainDreamer

You know at what point your relationship with KSP is when you start counting in hours until playing again :D

Ended up being more than 18 hours :(. Who would have thought graph matching algorithms (as in the data structures) would be so difficult to implement.

Anyway, to alleviate Cpt. Kipards worries here's the athlete-landing foot combo in-game:

_d0fc4015e7754053bfdc93b33075f010

I'm just going to ignore the above :P

Thanks to DMagic, the surface sampler is nearly done and I must say it's pretty awesome! Not only does it take surface samples, it can also do asteroid samples whilst near or attached to one! I'm so pleased with this, as it now gives the smallest scale of robotics parts a use, as well as allowing unmanned sample-return missions. Here's some pics from my testing:

_784ac13c784a4e6ca02a4fdc0ea04e83

_3ccae1254b7e4d29bc5d66b15efccb78

_497218c666f7461496f6f4b318227ae8

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.