[WIP][0.90?] PlanetFactory CE

Kragrathea

So you tried to make it from scratch take the serious system file and add your planet names to it if you try to recreate it will have flaws and errors.

I have tried taking the serious file and editing it, but it only worked like 5 times.

Edit: I should add that it only worked 5 times, and those 5 times are long gone.

Edited by Moggiog

Interesting program. I'm experimenting with Planet Factory CE since yesterday but I'm still mostly clueless. However, I've managed to copy and alter the Serious System and begin to understand what certain values in the text editor mean. Now I've got to find a way to change the star in the system to a gas giant. Changing the reference body to "Jool" might do the trick.

Planets are indeed more complicated ... ! Although I've managed to fabricate an ugly Minmus-esque planet that looks like a giant piece of meat from afar. The thing doesn't really makes sense with 5 atmosphere at the surface and it burns my eyes.

swfrmd.png

Working on stuff.

AJZ8Tsy.png

022V2bR.png

Qx4fMFl.png

Ly2092y.png

No further data is offered, but I just blew an hour and made 6 celestial bodies. My fingers are killing me.

Planets are indeed more complicated ... ! Although I've managed to fabricate an ugly Minmus-esque planet that looks like a giant piece of meat from afar. The thing doesn't really makes sense with 5 atmosphere at the surface and it burns my eyes.

http://i59.tinypic.com/swfrmd.png

Try using textures from Space Engine. Pictures from above please. I want to see what this hunk of meat looks like.

Edited by Poryy

The textures are found in the export file in space engine.To get there you can use the open file location on hte SE executable, and go back out of the SE system file to the main directory where there is an export file. The textures are in that one.

If you want to know how to do Kerbin like planets paint up oceans from SE. Also the cfg file for a kerbin planet is simple. I have one in my planet pack which I will post here in case you desire to have an example to work with.

PFBody
{
name=Emralled
templateName=Kerbin
flightGlobalsIndex=21312
}
CelestialBody
{
bodyDescription= The Scientist who originally discovered Emralled saw a green dot in the sky. After he reported his finding to the committee- as they had received many reports due to this- checked his telescope for impurities. After they found that the entire lens was colored, they told him he was wrong. Many years later, professionals lost track of an asteroid around Sa-Fire roughly where the scientist said his planet, that he called Emralled, was claimed to be. And so the committee finally let him name the speck in the sky.
GeeASL=1.7
rotationPeriod=15000
Radius=1200000
staticPressureASL=1.7
atmosphereScaleHeight=10
rotationPeriod=96855
rotates=True
tidallyLocked=False
atmosphere=True
atmosphereContainsOxygen=True
maxAtmosphereAltitude=65000

}

PQS
{
radius=1200000
}

PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
modEnabled=True
order=99986
vertexColorMap=Emralled_color.png
}

ScaledExport
{
templateName=Kerbin
mapWidth=4096
maxHeight=15000
hasOcean=true
oceanHeight=100
exportBin=True
removeAlpha=True
}
Orbit
{
inclination = 0.5
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 59000000
LAN = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
referenceBody = Sa-Fire
}

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
modEnabled=True
heightMap=Emralled_height.png
heightMapDeformity=2000

heightMapOffset=-1100
}

The textures are found in the export file in space engine.To get there you can use the open file location on hte SE executable, and go back out of the SE system file to the main directory where there is an export file. The textures are in that one.

If you want to know how to do Kerbin like planets paint up oceans from SE. Also the cfg file for a kerbin planet is simple. I have one in my planet pack which I will post here in case you desire to have an example to work with.

PFBody
{
name=Emralled
templateName=Kerbin
flightGlobalsIndex=21312
}
CelestialBody
{
bodyDescription= The Scientist who originally discovered Emralled saw a green dot in the sky. After he reported his finding to the committee- as they had received many reports due to this- checked his telescope for impurities. After they found that the entire lens was colored, they told him he was wrong. Many years later, professionals lost track of an asteroid around Sa-Fire roughly where the scientist said his planet, that he called Emralled, was claimed to be. And so the committee finally let him name the speck in the sky.
GeeASL=1.7
rotationPeriod=15000
Radius=1200000
staticPressureASL=1.7
atmosphereScaleHeight=10
rotationPeriod=96855
rotates=True
tidallyLocked=False
atmosphere=True
atmosphereContainsOxygen=True
maxAtmosphereAltitude=65000

}

PQS
{
radius=1200000
}

PQSMod_VertexColorMap
{
modEnabled=True
order=99986
vertexColorMap=Emralled_color.png
}

ScaledExport
{
templateName=Kerbin
mapWidth=4096
maxHeight=15000
hasOcean=true
oceanHeight=100
exportBin=True
removeAlpha=True
}
Orbit
{
inclination = 0.5
eccentricity = 0
semiMajorAxis = 59000000
LAN = 0
argumentOfPeriapsis = 0
meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
epoch = 0
referenceBody = Sa-Fire
}

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
modEnabled=True
heightMap=Emralled_height.png
heightMapDeformity=2000

heightMapOffset=-1100
}

Mind if i use the code?

You could just have checked my planet pack :P it has to have a licence. Anyway yes you may though I would like a mention (preferably with a link to my planet pack if you desire.) Have fun :)

Thank you.

How big are your planets? I found that as long as they are under 900K in diameter and/or don't have very definite surface features( i had this issue with a Europa style moon, the cracks came out funny under 2048x1024) 2048x1024 will work fine. However, for anything bigger I thought it necessary to use bigger textures. If you are having ram issues this is un-recommendable(such as if your pack starts to encroach upon to 3.5gb 32bit limit). Also I can't seem to get anything but ocean planets at 4096x2048 out of SE(I am guessing the bland blue makes it easier on the computer). For non-ocean planets try 3500x1750, you can also do this size I found, and it's the maximum I was able to get.

I hope this helps :/

The terrain looks just as high in the ocean as not in the ocean. First, perhaps you should change the ocean height.

Also do you mind posting your color and height maps? it might be those that are the problem.

I will see if I can help further if you can :)

You're height map seems a little flat to say the least and the ocean is not much lower than the land masses. Using gimp I have produced another one with a much deeper ocean. The height map I got from SE did not work, so I used gimp to produce mine.

This is the height map gimp produced from your color map(it should work): qerElJc.png

Having trouble with low res planets, even though I am now using 4096x2048 textures. Besides this, pack is progressing nicely. Space Engine likes to crash when I export 4096x2048, so progress is slow. Only 8 celestial bodies to go! :)

I have been playing with this mod for the last two days and is really awesome. However I would really like some more documentation, since I often try to combine code from different included bodies.

And can someone explain what GeeALS means. An idea I got was that it means surface gravity but I am not sure. I would find it easier if I could set the radius and the mass or the gravitational parameter, since I assume that the SOI is defined as:

8b8476e6b01a688c7acdb900e92dd923.png

PS: Here is a planet I designed (with Photoshop and Blender):

WOV4PpNl.png

However I have not been able to view this in KSP.

For the texture I just made a 3D sphere in photoshop and rand the Difference Clouds filter a couple of times on the sphere and then changed the color range of the texture with some other filters and added some cracks with a brush.

GeeALS means indeed gravity (and ALS is something like Average Level Surface). Found it out when I landed on a modded planet and typed '25' as a test. My poor rocket was destroyed instantly. Gotta say its a lot of trial and error without documentation but I'm making progress too.

EDIT: what steps should I undertake to succesfully export height and colormap from Space Engine? I know something about the process (in which directory to look, use only PNG and correct resolutions, etc.) but not all yet ...

Edited by Bekiekutmoar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.