Docking camera view

Most of you are probably scrambling to grab a link to Romfarer's Lazor Docking Cam, but hear me out first.

I'm not looking for an inset window to provide alignment information, I use Docking Port Alignment Indicator for that. However, I suppose mostly for aesthetics, I would like to have a docking view in addition to auto, free, orbital and chase.

This view would only become available when the ship has a docking port obviously and if the view is set to auto then when controlling from the port and another port is set as target, the camera would switch to docking view, showing the perspective from the port. Alternatively, it might only be available in the docking view as opposed to the staging view (I'm not sure if those two are considered different views or just different sets of controls within the same view).

Again, this would likely be a low priority aesthetic enhancement.

This view would only become available when the ship has a docking port obviously and if the view is set to auto then when controlling from the port and another port is set as target, the camera would switch to docking view, showing the perspective from the port. Alternatively, it might only be available in the docking view as opposed to the staging view (I'm not sure if those two are considered different views or just different sets of controls within the same view).

I support this but only if it's completely optional, perhaps a setting where it can be entirely disabled. I have no need of a docking cam, whether it's an inset or a camera view, and I certainly don't want one forced on me.

I support this but only if it's completely optional, perhaps a setting where it can be entirely disabled. I have no need of a docking cam, whether it's an inset or a camera view, and I certainly don't want one forced on me.

Fair point. It probably makes more sense to keep it as a view that can be selected or cycled to, but not included in the auto group.

I've seen video of real life docking and they use a camera with a target spot to aim at. Would make sense to have it in-game as an option you can choose.

I would love that too. The IVA views in the current stock pods like the Mk2 don't really have great angles for that. If we could translate the camera perspective as well as pan it would work much better.

What I really want to see is the 'Docking mode' readout in the bottom left corner be more useful - it already has the cross that you need, but what it doesn't have is any alignment details. If it could combine the alignment indicator into that, then docking mode would be the go-to thing to actually use to...you know...dock, rather than just staying in staging mode.

Or even better yet, a part that would act as a camera. It could be toggled on/off and if turned on it would add another view from its perspective. Could be sticked inside a docking port to fulfill the docking needs but also so much more.

What I really want to see is the 'Docking mode' readout in the bottom left corner be more useful - it already has the cross that you need, but what it doesn't have is any alignment details. If it could combine the alignment indicator into that, then docking mode would be the go-to thing to actually use to...you know...dock, rather than just staying in staging mode.

YES! this! totally agree.

Or even better yet, a part that would act as a camera. It could be toggled on/off and if turned on it would add another view from its perspective. Could be sticked inside a docking port to fulfill the docking needs but also so much more.

I don't like the idea of having to add parts for basic functionality. Things need to be simplified and consolidated as much as possible. The view would be optional anyway.

I don't like the idea of having to add parts for basic functionality. Things need to be simplified and consolidated as much as possible. The view would be optional anyway.

Agreed, It should be a standard feature on all docking ports. accessed through the docking view in the lower left. you should have to select "control from here" on the appropriate docking port, then the camera feed would show in the bottom left of the docking screen.

If no port is selected then it could display "NO FEED" until a port is selected.

This has been done already in Lazor docking port mod it just needs nice clean integration in to the stock game.

A IVA view where the camera was looking up out of the window, giving you a view straight ahead would look cool, but those sorts of views, as used in real craft, assume that the docking port is an a specific location. In KSP people put docking ports all over the place, so that might not work.

Probably a better way would be to have a camera built into each docking port (or assume there is a kerbal looking through the docking port window) and also place some markings on docking ports to help you align the dock. Have it as a selectable view (right click on port, control from here?).

As far as I know, more camera modes are on the WNTS list.

I think this game needs a landing camera (reversed chase camera) much more than a docking camera.

Hehe, the irony of this post ;) But yes! I agree. It'd be much, much easier to perform precision hops and hovers with a reverse chase cam. I always end up like Cleveland from Family Guy...slowly tipping over going "no no no no no no no no noooo!" before crashing sideways.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.