Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Wait a minute........... Why not mount the wing in the middle? (Also having the wing low would probably really limit the space for the ground crew loading cargo and stuff.)

Edited by xoknight

Testing stock hinges:

Starting position

http://i.imgur.com/wrqQkM3.png

Hinged position

http://i.imgur.com/TBvBYbT.png

Turns out those radial ant engines are pretty flexible! :)

Edit: This system seems to work better than structural pylons:

http://i.imgur.com/pKUYoKO.png

Above is a retrofitted ZF-21 with new stock hinges. I haven't adjusted the docking port positions yet, so the engine's sitting at a weird position right now.

This is baffling. How are you controlling the hinge?

Here is an update if anybody was interested

http://i.imgur.com/BaY7LhA.png

(The fuel tank in the front is to weigh it down until i get the nose on)

Wow that is a big cargo bay if I ever saw one. Your part count is going to be really high! ButI look forward to seeing the finished product, so far it's very slick, and I have curiosity to see how you handle the nose.

Rune. And I thought my Nodachi was big!

JATO... because rockets

QMkhxof.png

Yes I know the nose looks bad. Yes I was actually working on the nose and got sidetracked when I accidentally clicked on the propulsion tab. Gonna need more power on the main engines, the thing just nosedives right after I jettison the SRBs. Also tweaked the tail a bit, re-did the engine mounts.

Here is an update if anybody was interested

Dude. This is looking great!

I do have a concern for it though. With all those wing panels as fuselage walls, you'll need to be careful about getting a messed up CoL when you put alpha (AoA) or beta (yaw) on that thing. I recommend grabbing that whole thing in the SPH, then doing some shift-pitch and shift-yaw changes (5 or 10 degrees) and make sure the CoL doesn't end up in front of the CoM. Depending on the design of the rest of the nose and tail, you could end up with a craft that wants to go out of control if you put a little sideslip on it because of the reaction you get off the fuselage wing panels.

Gonna need more power on the main engines, the thing just nosedives right after I jettison the SRBs. Also tweaked the tail a bit, re-did the engine mounts.

Well, this pitch down might be caused by having those high mounted engines. Don't forget to check the alignment of the CoT vs CoM. If the CoT is high, you can get a pitch down moment that causes it to nose over. It could be other problems too, but don't assume that more powerful engines will fix it.

By the way: Those poor landing gear... :(

JATO... because rockets

Any chance of a screenshot of a Kerbal inside that cargo bay? :D

..or even better flying a tiny plane inside there :o Which makes me wonder, has anybody build a vomit-comet for 0 gravity flights?

Edited by WooDzor

Any chance of a screenshot of a Kerbal inside that cargo bay? :D

..or even better flying a tiny plane inside there :o Which makes me wonder, has anybody build a vomit-comet for 0 gravity flights?

jNSKBbo.png

And you just gave me a new idea for what to do with it when its done.

And here is a kerbal with the entire plane.

ru16XZ1.png

The front nose gear stuck underneath the ground when I timewarped for the sun to be in a better spot, so the tail might look a bit taller and the nose a bit shorter

I haven't created a payload yet, but I'm excited to see what it can do. :)

It looks brilliant! And unfortunately I have to spread around more love before giving it to GusTurbo again. :P

Mercury Redstone & Mercury Atlas WIP

screenshot749.png

The Mercury Redstone gets me up to 75.000 - 91.000 meters depending on whether I bother to start some kind of gravity turn or not.

screenshot750.png

This one and a half stage of the Atlas will make me go mad. I stage it, it gets stuck, explodes, sends the rest of the rocket in the wrong direction etc. But sometimes it works beautifully :)

I also realized my Titan II rocket is not big enough compared to the Redstone, Atlas, Saturn Ib and Saturn V. Will I ever be finished?!!

Edited by WooDzor

Mercury Redstone & Mercury Atlas WIP

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9346020/140702%20Mercury/screenshot749.png

The Mercury Redstone gets me up to 75.000 - 91.000 meters depending on whether I bother to start some kind of gravity turn or not.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9346020/140702%20Mercury/screenshot750.png

This one and a half stage of the Atlas will make me go mad. I stage it, it gets stuck, explodes, sends the rest of the rocket in the wrong direction etc. But sometimes it works beautifully :)

I also realized my Titan II rocket is not big enough compared to the Redstone, Atlas, Saturn Ib and Saturn V. Will I ever be finished?!!

The rocket on the left? those two parts below the pod?? Mods or did you change the part size?

Its hard to see from the picture. Could be backwards batteries but not sure.

The rocket on the left? those two parts below the pod?? Mods or did you change the part size?

Its hard to see from the picture. Could be backwards batteries but not sure.

Hahah AAAWYEAH! 8) All stock! backwards antennas and batteries :) the fairing on the Atlas under the pod are antennas too. I'll see if I have a close up somewhere..

Mercury_Rockets_150x350_RK2011.jpg <- the little family

I suspected that was what you used but its hard to tell from that pic. Good job on making that bit look 'not stock'!

fairing.PNGfairings%202.PNG

There you go. Just did a test run: guestimated the delta V for about orbit 75x75.. which it was with a bit left to de-orbit the Atlas:D

So my WIP is not really one craft, it's the collection of crafts used during the space race to get to the Mun/Moon by the US

screenshot764.png

And that's when I noticed my Gemini Titan II craft was waaaay off. Like I said this morning.. back to the VAB!

(also 1558 locked up KSP twice, I had to close down all the other stuff that was running in the back ground)

Edited by WooDzor

Those 'merican lifters are looking good! And speaking of family pictures, I may or may not have something kind of ready to welcome 0.24 when it arrives:

kHu9lrf.png

Rune. Spot the differences!

Edited by Rune

White Darts, and a gas station :P

Looks like the back is a passenger version, then the next one forwards has some strange control surfaces (?) sticking up behind the pit, and what looks like the tip of a jet engine sticking downwards, so maybe that one's a VTOL? Then the only differences I can spot between the front two are the different intake placements and the aft dorsal RCS tank on the nearest one. Not sure what their specific roles are, but they look awesome! :D

White Darts, and a gas station :P

Looks like the back is a passenger version, then the next one forwards has some strange control surfaces (?) sticking up behind the pit, and what looks like the tip of a jet engine sticking downwards, so maybe that one's a VTOL? Then the only differences I can spot between the front two are the different intake placements and the aft dorsal RCS tank on the nearest one. Not sure what their specific roles are, but they look awesome! :D

Quite well called! The shuttle version is very hidden on the back with the distinctive passenger can. The weird "control surfaces" on the next one are in fact the open flaps of a materials science bay, part of it's full science compliment. But yeah, there is a jet VTOL (the next one!) in there, the Laythe Edition. And last but not least, I rearranged the tankage on the basic model so it's not so basic (hence the intake differences, extra tanks on the wings): if you fill all tanks with LFO mix, KER reads 2.5km/s on the chemical VTOL engines, so it rightly deserves the "Duna edition" surname, being capable of VTOLing from orbit to the surface and back in that planet.

Rune. All ranging from 50 to 65 parts, in 5 part increments. Polished as boop.