Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Looks neat! I like the way you simplified the aft end to make things a bit more efficient. However, why'd you pick the 3.5 meter engine? Wouldn't it have very low isp?

That is still the upper stage of the rocket. I leave it attached and use its remaining fuel for the next burn. The actual mothership uses 4 LV-Ns. It gets 6K dV empty and can get almost 200 tons from LKO to LMO. About 100 tons to low Duna orbit.

The version in this pic doesn't have the front docking port but the rest is the same

3krRgRW.png

Edited by Frozen_Heart

I've been playing KSP a bit more often as of late, and this ship is one of my more... interesting, to say the least, crafts I've been tinkering with as of late.

o3sqsGV.png

tU8gL4Q.png

uPYmacn.png

It's a militarized ship, yes, but I kept looking at some old Homeworld concept art and wanting to make a ship reminiscent of the Vagyr ones from HW2.

August 12, 1940, off the coast of KSC, a strange object protrudes from the otherwise calm sea...

ikm9B3R.png

Upon further inspection, it appears to be a U-boat under attack by the Kraken!

1E3El5H.png

One hundred bitts. One hundred, and it barely reaches periscope depth. Once the main deck is submerged, the concentration of bitts in the bow and stern start to violently convulse, leading to the destruction of the boat unless unbreakable joints is turned on. Anyone know what's going on here?

August 12, 1940, off the coast of KSC, a strange object protrudes from the otherwise calm sea...

http://i.imgur.com/ikm9B3R.png

http://i.imgur.com/1E3El5H.png

One hundred bitts. One hundred, and it barely reaches periscope depth. Once the main deck is submerged, the concentration of bitts in the bow and stern start to violently convulse, leading to the destruction of the boat unless unbreakable joints is turned on. Anyone know what's going on here?

My theory is the Kraken...

(Sorry for not being very helpful ;))

YargJay9991

Think I'm all set for the trial run. Going to be putting 60 tons of payload onto the surface of Duna. Kept the rockets second stage stuck on the back as a little extra dV never harmed anyone. Without it I'm still getting 3K dV with that payload.

On the right docking port is the lander/ascent vehicle, left is the rover and extra fuel for the lander. On the front is the first part of Rune's base pack.

Never had a properly successful Duna mission so this is a rather ambitious test run for a ship...

ph2ftD9.png

Edited by Frozen_Heart

Think I'm all set for the trial run. Going to be putting 60 tons of payload onto the surface of Duna. Kept the rockets second stage stuck on the back as a little extra dV never harmed anyone. Without it I'm still getting 3K dV with that payload.

On the right docking port is the lander/ascent vehicle, left is the rover and extra fuel for the lander. On the front is the first part of Rune's base pack.

Never had a properly successful Duna mission so this is a rather ambitious test run for a ship...

http://i.imgur.com/ph2ftD9.png

Looks like an effective setup; landing colony stuff on Duna involves a LOT of patience, quicksaves (less if you find a nice, somewhat level landing site), and parachutes. However, propulsive landing is always a good call for getting payload to the surface.

http://i.imgur.com/ph2ftD9.png

That'll be the first recorded landing of a C.R.A.D.L.E. in Duna! Good luck, they were specifically designed with that planet in mind. :)

Rune. The mothership is stunning, as always.

Looks like an effective setup; landing colony stuff on Duna involves a LOT of patience, quicksaves (less if you find a nice, somewhat level landing site), and parachutes. However, propulsive landing is always a good call for getting payload to the surface.

Really? I find landing things on Duna to be almost as easy as Kerbin. Just aerobrake at 8000m deploy chutes and relax. Then at 50m or so cut chutes and land propulsively. The gravity is so lo its very forgiving.

http://i.imgur.com/ikm9B3R.png

http://i.imgur.com/1E3El5H.png

Did you use no offset limits?

Really? I find landing things on Duna to be almost as easy as Kerbin. Just aerobrake at 8000m deploy chutes and relax. Then at 50m or so cut chutes and land propulsively. The gravity is so lo its very forgiving.

Huh. Maybe I just haven't landed on it recently enough to know how 1.0.4 aerocapture and landing goes. :/

Guess I'll have to break out that old aerospike VTOL I know I've got somewhere...

Huh. Maybe I just haven't landed on it recently enough to know how 1.0.4 aerocapture and landing goes. :/

Guess I'll have to break out that old aerospike VTOL I know I've got somewhere...

I agree that finding a suitable landing zone is tricky! The landing itself, after all those hairy Mun landings its joyous to have that aero buffer.

I agree that finding a suitable landing zone is tricky! The landing itself, after all those hairy Mun landings its joyous to have that aero buffer.

Though hard to land as precisely. I suspect I may have to do some hopping around to get everything next to each other. Luckily the rover can drive to where it needs to be.

quicksaves

I have still never quicksaved/quickloaded on KSP. I don't plan to start after 3 years. :)

I have still never quicksaved/quickloaded on KSP. I don't plan to start after 3 years. :)

Then, extra-really-great luck deploying the base! Make sure you read on the myriad of issues people keep running into during deployment, and all the fixes that are appropriate. In particular, deploying the corridor gives people a lot of head-scratching until they figure it out, and more than one person has seriously fouled up things by pressing 'G' at the wrong time. Also, don't hit space bar, like, ever, unless you are really sure of what is going to happen, and that it is something you want. Seriously. Don't. :blush:

Rune. Then again, if it works as it says on the tin for you, I'll feel so good...

My theory is the Kraken...

(Sorry for not being very helpful ;))

YargJay9991

When you dont know always blame the Kraken!

Yeah, Kraken is probably the problem here. I think the sheer weight of the ballast tanks may be causing the Kraken (the weight is increased by over 500 tons), or it may be a really high buoyancy part that causes them. I guess I can always release a theoretically dive capable craft if I can't solve these problems, but I would rather not.