What planet hates you?

Captain Sierra

Holy crap! People seem to really struggle with Duna! I'm very surprised, as Duna is a piece of cake for me.

It's also the first step a new kerbalnaut will usually make out of Kerbin SOI, so that kind of makes sense. I daresay it is the most landed on place outside of the Mun or Minmus.

It's also the first step a new kerbalnaut will usually make out of Kerbin SOI, so that kind of makes sense. I daresay it is the most landed on place outside of the Mun or Minmus.

I'll agree with that, though I actually went for a manned Joolian moon tour (just flybys) before I made my first Duna landing. Not really sure why, but I did. It's that same fascination with Jool that kills me to this day.

Minmus, believe it or not. Lost more bloody spaceplanes to Minmus than I can account for. No deaths, but I've got 22 Kerbals stranded there (11 flights, following my Crew Code where manned flights may not be solo.) and roughly 30, maybe 40 craft that it's claimed all over the surface. I'm tempted to send a Base-In-A-Box there and just call it my first semi-permanent colony.

Duna. Though in absolute terms I've lost far more Kerbals on Kerbin and the Mun, it's the unreliability of parachute landings there that always gets me.

This valley floor is at 0 metres, and your parachutes will slow you to 20m/s...

This plateau is quite a bit higher, and when your 'chutes open, it's already too late. Goodbye!

Laythe gave me the most trouble, mostly because I was dead-set on using a manned, jet-powered VTOL for the landing stage. Finally conquered it, though!

Me too. Laythe killed every kerbal I threw at it when I was trying to do VOTL/parachute landers. I really do think spaceplanes are the only way to go with Laythe. For me, switching to planes turned an unfriendly, ominous deathtrap moon into a prime resort planet.

All though i haven't lost a single kerbal in carrer and practically completed the tech tree

If. I were to choose it would be Ike that little stinker almost killed jeb bill and bob story aproach lower pe for aerobraking blah blah i never noticed i had a ike encounter with no periapsis ike encounter and had to fight ike my burning up up and escaped but hey it made the mission a little extra science

Gilly... Gilly hates me. I can't land there. Literally. I set the landing legs down and the forces produced by an EVA kerbal will knock the dang thing over. The kerbals can't walk around there without getting launched into space, so I end up just using jet pack RCS for all my moving around.

Being on Gilly is essentially being in space without the predictability. I HATE gilly, but I love playing around there :P

Tylo. The intercept was like playing pinball with Layethe and Val plus the landing took me ten tries or so to get my heavy probe lander down without splatting as I kept running out of fuel. Finally got it down. It tipped over, but I could still transmit all the science. I've never had that much of an issue with landing before. I got Val and Layethe probe landers down clean on 1st attempt. Moho took a couple of tries, but Tylo required a perfect suicide burn.

Holy crap! People seem to really struggle with Duna! I'm very surprised, as Duna is a piece of cake for me.

Oh, getting into orbit is the only problem with me. :P Whenever I get a nice aerocapture trajectory set up, as soon as I enter the SOI it flings my periapsis way up, so I have to correct. Also, one time after I corrected upon entering the SOI, I timewarped to the atmosphere, but I randomly got an Ike encounter which flung me too low. I didn't find this out until several quickloads later. :mad:

Planets/Muns that hate me:

4.: The Mun

We had some nasty story. Every time I tried to land there, I ran out of fuel no matter what. I'm a little better at the fuel part, but the Mun still thinks it's funny to make my ships flip whenever I land there. :huh:

3.: Eve

It always escapes my grasp, and I can never quite get an intercept unless it's a lucky day. I'll not even bother with escaping Eve.

2.: Ike

Unlike other users, who always get an Ike encounter, I actually CAN'T encounter Ike for some reason. Like Eve, it always escapes my grasp.

1.: Laythe

Mun, Eve and Ike are fairly annoying, but if there's one who gets the cake, it is Laythe. Always with her atmospheric drag, that girl always botches my landings and aerobrakes. >.<

Planets/Muns that like me:

3.: Jool

Jool is fairly tame to me. Never threw tanturums at me and helped me out with aerobraking. He's a nice guy. :)

2.: Duna

Duna was the first planet I visited(other than Kerbin :P), and reaching her was very easy. I had some problems landing, but we overcame that and lived happily ever after. :sticktongue:

1.: Minmus

Minmus has been the friendliest body I've visited so far. We had some bad times, but Minmus shall be my best KSP friend. :D

Would you believe that since .18, the first time I ever went to Duna was last week?

Anyway, I had not idea that my parachutes would be as innefective as they were. Thus, literally every part of my ship besides the command pod was destroyed.

I sent a rescue mission, but was too impatient to bother to actually land near the survivors.

I let those goobers stay on Duna as penance for their inability.

Me too. Laythe killed every kerbal I threw at it when I was trying to do VOTL/parachute landers. I really do think spaceplanes are the only way to go with Laythe. For me, switching to planes turned an unfriendly, ominous deathtrap moon into a prime resort planet.

I think it's the throwing that gets you. Kerbals don't survive throwing very well.

Vall, because I've lost more landers there than I care to count. The gravity is deceptive and I never know when to start burning. Most everywhere else is a cut and dried affair.

Exactly what regex said. Valls Surface Gravity and size makes me unable to calculate the right amount of fuel I Need and to spot the right time to start firing my engines.

Also Eeloo had some issues with my Kerbals. When I tossed them out of the capsule and they set foot on the ground they popped into a plume of smoke... mabye it was just a hick-up by the game-engine.

Some great comments here.. lol I'm suprised some struggle with Duna. Ive only landed on the Mun, Minmus, Duna & Eve. Found Duna quite easy. Eve is a pain but I think I should check out other places first. lol

Only lost Jeb once in the early days, never again! : )

Tylo. I have managed to get my 4 stranded Kerbonauts back up from the surface and in to orbit but they are stuck awaiting yet another refuelling ship. I've been keeping a close eye on the surface gravity of Kerbin because by now I think I must have strewn about 3% of the planet's mass into interplanetary space what with the fleets of ships I have been sending to Jool...

Moho. Moho Moho. Moho Moho Moho, Moho Moho, Moho Moho Moho Moho Moho, Moho, MOHO. Mo-**********-ho!

I've tried to send probes there dozens of times. Of them, only ONE has ever even had an encounter, a lander that was built with far, FAR more delta-V than any calculations said it needed.

That one managed to run out of fuel at exactly the right moment to plow straight into the planet at over 4km/s. :mad: :rage: :ragegasm: :throw computer out window:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.