HGR 1.875m parts R&D Thread [Mod reboot in progress] (First Dev build now available)

Orionkermin

I love the work you've done so far! :D

I would like to make a suggestion that the service module have some changes however:

- I feel an art pass is necessary as it feels very "flat" and only 2 colors

- Also I don't necessarily like how it grows into a 2.5m diameter and feel that it should flare out less and possibly indent underneath to allow a 1.25m engine

Otherwise great work! :D keep it up

The new command pod is great!

http://i.imgur.com/Ycm7cO3.jpg

Thanks! Cool to see it used with other parts, I haven't gotten to do a lot of testing with it. What decoupler is that if I may ask.

For some reason, engineer redux doesnt calculate delta v for engines atached to service module.

Interesting bug, thanks for letting me know. I'll have to check and see if it's effecting the radish's service module too.

My successful flight test of a LAS for the Soy Juice:

Awesome, I didn't even know the Soyuz pooped out the back like that. (I had to look it up:D)

I love the work you've done so far! :D

I would like to make a suggestion that the service module have some changes however:

- I feel an art pass is necessary as it feels very "flat" and only 2 colors

- Also I don't necessarily like how it grows into a 2.5m diameter and feel that it should flare out less and possibly indent underneath to allow a 1.25m engine

Otherwise great work! :D keep it up

Thanks Sippyfrog (I always read your name as Slippyfrog, too much star fox i guess.) I think it's pretty obvious that the service module hasn't gotten the same amount of attention as the rest of the parts, so you're complaints are justified. To be honest I'm debating on just dropping the service module all together. Now that I know about setting up a custom drag model in FAR I should be able to get this baby to fall just fine even with a double node on the bottom, meaning I can just give it a second shroud that goes to 2.5m. And I want to work on a 1.875m parts pack after these are done anyway. (The current shrouds size and 1.5x the "normal" sized parts.) With those people could build any style of service module they wanted and we wouldn't have a part that only really works for the soy-juice.

The capsule actually already has a custom drag model set up for FAR, so if anybody is playing with it could you let me know how your reentrys go. Also (apart from the asset's art) what do you guys think of the parachute? How's its animation?

Now that I know about setting up a custom drag model in FAR I should be able to get this baby to fall just fine even with a double node on the bottom, meaning I can just give it a second shroud that goes to 2.5m.

At work so I can't just check, but did you update the Radish with the custom drag model as well?

Interesting bug, thanks for letting me know. I'll have to check and see if it's effecting the radish's service module too.

Wait, Radish has an SM now? or is it just the same one as the Soy-Juice SM?

Awesome, I didn't even know the Soyuz pooped out the back like that. (I had to look it up:D)

Thanks. It's also the only LAS system ever used operationally.

Also (apart from the asset's art) what do you guys think of the parachute? How's its animation?

Works ok, but I've been spoiled by RealChute lately... :P

OOOOO I'm liking how it came out. Also nice new logo!
Oh, off topic real-quick, but I like your new signature! And, that command pod is awesome to play with!

Thanks, I actually made it as a project for my class. MWAHAHA

At work so I can't just check, but did you update the Radish with the custom drag model as well?
Wait, Radish has an SM now? or is it just the same one as the Soy-Juice SM?

No it doesn't have a custom drag model. And that's because, I'm making the larger fairing into a service module. (It was up for download before I update the OP to the soy-juice) I haven't updated the official release because I decided I wanted to add a second node to the top of it in order to allow it to fit standard 1.25m parts like the mk1 command pod as well.

No it doesn't have a custom drag model. And that's because, I'm making the larger fairing into a service module. (It was up for download before I update the OP to the soy-juice) I haven't updated the official release because I decided I wanted to add a second node to the top of it in order to allow it to fit standard 1.25m parts like the mk1 command pod as well.

Can you make sure to leave a hole down the center of the SM? I use that space for an ascent/Kerbin return stage... It's nice to not have the collider there. Perhaps make it the same diameter as the base of the Radish, and put a fairing piece over the gap for 1.25m parts?

*snip* And I want to work on a 1.875m parts pack after these are done anyway. (The current shrouds size and 1.5x the "normal" sized parts.) With those people could build any style of service module they wanted and we wouldn't have a part that only really works for the soy-juice.

The capsule actually already has a custom drag model set up for FAR, so if anybody is playing with it could you let me know how your reentrys go. Also (apart from the asset's art) what do you guys think of the parachute? How's its animation?

That would be awesome! :D and I was testing and on my first reentry with no SAS or mechjeb Smart ASS it wanted to go top first but when I use Smart ASS to keep retrograde vector then it goes flawlessly. So long story short it wants to flip, but not much, then again may be due to the fact that the setup I made could've been top heavy too :)

Can you make sure to leave a hole down the center of the SM? I use that space for an ascent/Kerbin return stage... It's nice to not have the collider there. Perhaps make it the same diameter as the base of the Radish, and put a fairing piece over the gap for 1.25m parts?

I must admit, I'm a little confused about what you mean. Wouldn't the service module itself be used for that same purpose? Maybe a picture would help if it's not too much trouble.

I took this back when I was testing the Radish's SM. It had ok Delta V even using a poodle. I made a Gemini style moon lander with it too, but sadly have no pics.

2014-02-24_00005_zps19d8a8c0.jpg

@Sippyfrog

hmm well that's why this in alpha :D

I'll have to play around with the custom drag model some more and see if I can figure out what all the curves mean. Should add the second node even without the model so I can get this thing falling correctly. (Also if anybody wants to explain what everything in the customdragmodel Module does I'd be happy to hear it)

Oh ok so you're basically using both nodes at the same time right? If I make the service module then the pod would only have one node so I'm not sure that would still be possible. However I've been debating whether or not dedicated service modules are really in the spirit of the game to begin with. I might very well end up just doing a custom drag model for it.

What do you guys think? Is the all in one nature of dedicated service modules a bad thing? I'm working on a few 1.875m parts for the next update so that I can try the soy juice without it's service module.

Oh ok so you're basically using both nodes at the same time right? If I make the service module then the pod would only have one node so I'm not sure that would still be possible. However I've been debating whether or not dedicated service modules are really in the spirit of the game to begin with. I might very well end up just doing a custom drag model for it.

What do you guys think? Is the all in one nature of dedicated service modules a bad thing? I'm working on a few 1.875m parts for the next update so that I can try the soy juice without it's service module.

I like the idea of making our own service modules with 1.875m parts instead of a dedicated service module :D but I think you should include parts to make a service module that looks just like this (like the taper and stuff) so people can use that style if they want :) and hey if you need beta testers for future releases i'll gladly help :) I can test FAR and DRE compatibility :cool:

Yeah, double node build. Compact, yet elegant.

I dunno... I think that dedicated SMs have their ups and downs. Sometimes, you have to cut your part count, and using an all-in-one part is a great way to chop 10-12 parts off your ship... but the ability to adjust the setup of your craft is often more important. It's something that is up to the end user... So, perhaps doing both to provide some flexibility. (if it's not too much to ask. :))

Firstly, I love the idea of a dedicated service module, and I hope it goes further, so I wouldn't worry about what's "in the spirit of the game" - if modders want to create it, and players want to play with it, that's good enough.

The dual nodes thing did bother me a little - mainly for the possibility of having the bottom node end up too close to the bottom node of a whole different part (and the FAR thing as well, I guess). I thought your two separate config files were an elegant solution to this issue.

Also...

Thanks, I'll look into this more! I might still change the 2.5m fairing into a service module though, as it is kind of fun and allows for some more interesting construction. Maybe I can give it it's own auto-shroud on top so it'll work with the mk1 pod too... hmm.

Did you mean something like this?

6h5wpUS.png

Please excuse the bad drawing, it shows a fairing attached to the base of the service module, sort of, but not quite, like the SDHI fairing. This would be very useful when attaching non-aerodynamic parts, like RCS thrusters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.