[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

853 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

I will check this, too.

EDIT: please check if the ribbons are present in the Nereid/FinalFrontier/Ribbons/Mun folder. In 0.5.5 (and maybe in 0.5.3) ribbons that have missing ribbon graphics are just not awarded.

BTW: Has someone noticed that kerbals could die because of high gee damage?

I've only seen this with deadly re-entry.

I will check this, too.

EDIT: please check if the ribbons are present in the Nereid/FinalFrontier/Ribbons/Mun folder. In 0.5.5 (and maybe in 0.5.3) ribbons that have missing ribbon graphics are just not awarded.

Yes, the mun ribbons are present in my game folder including O_o a Mun atmosphere ribbon?? :confused:

Yes, the mun ribbons are present in my game folder including O_o a Mun atmosphere ribbon?? :confused:

Well... the ribbons are generated in a generic way and my generator knows nothing about the missing atmosphere of Mun.

Is anyone else not getting the mun soi, orbit, landing etc. ribbons to not award in the latest version of this? haven't gone anywhere else yet, so I don't know if its just mun ribbons that aren't awarding, but I'm planning a trip to minmus later, will post update.

Just checked (in my current development version, 32bit): Mun SOI ribbons are still working while not in time acceleration. They don't work in time acceleration. I'm quite sure this were working in 0.23.5 so it seems SQUAD has changed the event handling. I will check this.

EDIT: fixed. It seeams that VesselSituationChanged is not called in this situation anymore.

Edited by Nereid

Bug report: The 250t+ vehicle crew and 6g+ ribbons awarded...for an EVA report and sample collected from a one-man pod on the launchpad. The Kerbal was recovered outside the capsule.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=294181541

Tested, but can't confirm this. I will add some additional test just to make sure that those ribbons are not awarded on EVA.

Well, lets assume that kerbals arent that much overweighted to land 120 tons while at EVA. ;)

Edited by Nereid

Is there any mod out there, that is using the ingame mission summary? Maybe I can use it for FF, too.

I've only seen this with deadly re-entry.

Ah, ok. This explains why this never happened to me. I'm using deadly Reeentry in my development copy for testing purposes.

Edited by Nereid

Final Frontier 0.5.6 is online

Changes:

• SOI ribbons fixed
  • New gee force ribbons (up to 14 g)
  • Gee force ribbons awarded after 3 seconds of sustained gee force.
  • New custom ribbons by helldiver
  • Some changes to improve 64 bit compatibility

Download FinalFrontier

i just picked up this mod although i've had my eye on it for nearly a year now. where are the ribbons and info saved for each kerbal? i can't find it in my save file and i've dug through the mod folder. i loaded it in the middle of a career game (impatient, been working on it for weeks) and i would like to award my prime crews with some ribbons so they won't seem "green".

i just picked up this mod although i've had my eye on it for nearly a year now. where are the ribbons and info saved for each kerbal? i can't find it in my save file and i've dug through the mod folder. i loaded it in the middle of a career game (impatient, been working on it for weeks) and i would like to award my prime crews with some ribbons so they won't seem "green".

A quote from the first page:

The plugin takes use of System.IO to store its data in the corresponding save-folder of a game. For example: If your game is called "MyGame", Final Frontier will store its data in <KSP-Install-Folder>/saves/MyGame/halloffame.ksp".

After the first save operation there should be a halloffame.ksp in your save game folder. The internal structure of the file was already discussed in this thread and it's quite simple.

BTW: There is a minor glitch in the new gee force ribbon award. If a vessel has sustained a gee force number for 3 seconds, the next time the vessel gets up to this gee force it will award ribbons instantly (well I didn't really test this, but a code review tells me this should happen ;)). Because the crew has this ribbon already this doesn't matter - until the crew is changed in flight. I will fix this in 0.5.7.

Edited by Nereid

Just a typo in the change log in the first post; it says 0.5.4 instead of 0.5.6.

• 0.5.5: Minor bugfixes to improve mod compatibility
  • 0.5.4:
    • SOI ribbons fixed
    • New gee force ribbons (up to 14 g)
    • Gee force ribbons awarded after 3 seconds of sustained gee force.
    • New custom ribbons by helldiver
    • Some changes to improve 64 bit compatibility

Do you have a method of re-entry as to not get high mach ribbons? I really hoped I could use the mach ribbons as a gauge of how fast my Kerbals have gone in powered aircraft but I seem to get high G ribbons regularly on reentry of powered pods. Thoughts?

Do you have a method of re-entry as to not get high mach ribbons? I really hoped I could use the mach ribbons as a gauge of how fast my Kerbals have gone in powered aircraft but I seem to get high G ribbons regularly on reentry of powered pods. Thoughts?

Difficult. But I will think about it. They were supposed to work as an award for flying level in a plane and not for reentry. Question is: in what way differs a reentry from a normal level flight?

One occurs as a side effect of transorbital velocities; the other requires dedication to put together a craft that can actually attain those speeds without spontaneously combusting or otherwise failing in some horrific way. (I had a KSP-I powered fusion jet that broke up tonight at mach 7.8 at 17 kilometers altitude [it was maintaining better than 3 to 1 lift/drag ratio at hypersonic speeds; was hoping for mach 10; but the design isn't stable enough at those speeds and requires a rework) Also running DRE and FAR for added !FUN! err !SCIENCE!

Yes, but how can we detect this? I could add some kind of a timer that disables mach ribbons for a few minutes every time the atmosphere were leaved or a specific altitude was exceeded. We have altitude, atmospheric density, speed, direction of velocity and such things. Data like "spontaneously combusting" is not existent in the KSP classes.

Hi Nereid,

great job on this mod. I LOVE it. I've been using it in my

Series (Shameless self plug:cool:). The only issue I had was updating to 0.24.2 from 0.23.5. What I'm getting is new Kerbals are getting the First time doing X ribbons that other kerbals previously got in 0.23.5, and still have as I copied over my save file.

This is not game breaking for me, because I'm pretty sure it's to do with the upgraded KSP and the upgraded FF mod.

Difficult. But I will think about it. They were supposed to work as an award for flying level in a plane and not for reentry. Question is: in what way differs a reentry from a normal level flight?

Well,

A ship in re-entry usually spends most of the time at speeds greater than atmospheric craft. A limit on High Gee ribbons to speeds below a set point might remove a steep/High Gee re-entry from receiving a ribbon.

A capsule in re-entry does not perform maneuvers (such as 'loops or barrel rolls), it spikes the Gee meter on landing and parachute deployment. Any way to eliminate a "ground level" or chute activation state might prevent the ribbon award.

Spacecraft during launch usually clear the atmosphere quickly while planes spend all their time in the atmosphere. A time delay of maybe 5 minutes after launch/take off would remove High Gee launch events from a ribbon while an altitude restriction to below 30000Km might exempt ships in space or high altitude rocket staging during launch.

Edited by jpkerman

A quote from the first page:

The plugin takes use of System.IO to store its data in the corresponding save-folder of a game. For example: If your game is called "MyGame", Final Frontier will store its data in <KSP-Install-Folder>/saves/MyGame/halloffame.ksp".

After the first save operation there should be a halloffame.ksp in your save game folder. The internal structure of the file was already discussed in this thread and it's quite simple.

arrgh now i see. thanks! time to get editing. i hate asking stupid questions i apologize that is what i get for trying to get into a new mod minutes before bedtime.

Edited by autumnalequinox
typo

arrgh now i see. thanks! time to get editing. i hate asking stupid questions i apologize that is what i get for trying to get into a new mod minutes before bedtime.

No problem. BTW: In the config window there is a button that opens a window with all codes used in that file.

Can you make a check for air breathing engines? That's about the crudest way.

Yes. But I don't like that idea. If anybody wants to get to high mach/gee with SRB or liquid fuel, why shouldn't he allowed to do this? And checks like this are expensive. I would have to add a kind of observer that detects if the vessel had changed its parts, so I dont have to check this every time an achievement is tested (like I do it in NanoGauges). I have done a similar test for the solid fuel booster ribbons. But they are checked only at launch (to be more precise: they are checked at any situation; but they test for a launch before analyzing the parts).

Well,

A ship in re-entry usually spends most of the time at speeds greater than atmospheric craft. A limit on High Gee ribbons to speeds below a set point might remove a steep/High Gee re-entry from receiving a ribbon.

"usually spends most of the time" unfortunately is a term thats very hard to understand for a computer program. ;) I realy doubt anybody in the world could code this in any way at the current time. ;)

A capsule in re-entry does not perform maneuvers (such as 'loops or barrel rolls), it spikes the Gee meter on landing and parachute deployment. Any way to eliminate a "ground level" or chute activation state might prevent the ribbon award.

Unfortunately there is no state like "ground level" or "chute activation". I can detect a chute of course. But that would mean analyzing all parts of the vessel. I try to avoid this for performance reasons at all costs. Remember: All ribbons are tested every time a situation changes. Even if they are already awarded and even if the current situation would not lead to an award. There is no logic like "if situation x occurs award ribbon y". Coding this way would be to complicated and error prone.

Spacecraft during launch usually clear the atmosphere quickly while planes spend all their time in the atmosphere. A time delay of maybe 5 minutes after launch/take off would remove High Gee launch events from a ribbon while an altitude restriction to below 30000Km might exempt ships in space or high altitude rocket staging during launch.

Well we are primary talking about the mach ribbons. For the high gees I had launching and even reentry in my mind as I had created them. But in 0.24 they seem to be easier to get thus I have added the 3 seconds timer. Maybe I can add some other ribons for high gee while at level flight (velocity up to 15 degrees below or above the horizon).

The mach ribbons take only horizontal speed into account. I could limit the vertical speed to avoid reentry, too. But if the reentry is shallow enough...

Edited by Nereid

Hi Nereid,

great job on this mod. I LOVE it. I've been using it in my

Series (Shameless self plug:cool:). The only issue I had was updating to 0.24.2 from 0.23.5. What I'm getting is new Kerbals are getting the First time doing X ribbons that other kerbals previously got in 0.23.5, and still have as I copied over my save file.

You get a first time X ribbon that is already awarded? This has nothing to do with 0.24.2 and is a bug for sure. Can you give me an example? In my last tests all arwards are fine. But I don't have much time at the moment to play KSP myself, so maybe this bug was not noticed yet.

Edited by Nereid

One of my students suggested something which gave me a bit of a laugh. I won't use it (still hanging out for ranks), but some people might get a kick out of it.

cook1.png

Apprentice Chef

cook2.png

Chef de Partie (or Pastry Chef?)

cook3.png

Sous Chef

cook4.png

Chef de Cuisine

...the suggestion was that every major mission should have someone in charge of providing freshly made snacks...

I'll have descriptions in the next couple of days, hopefully.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.