[1.10.0] Final Frontier - kerbal individual merits 1.10.0-3485

Nereid

KSP 1.1.0  

853 members have voted

1. 1. Is FinalFrontier working in KSP 1.1.0?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter; this poll was just created to remove the outdated old one...

patience guys. I'm still looking.

I hope you have backups. Because this time some of my test games gets corrupted, if resume was not working. Sometimes it was working, sometimes not. But the loaded game seems to be unaffected. I have identified 2 problems so far. Both resulting in copy&paste of the code from one event callback to another. Its hard to believe, that it has worked in my prerelease tests....

Edited by Nereid

The save was corrupted with the recent version & rolling back to previous mod version doesn't work :) Now, I'm f**ked :) And learned to backup.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it safe just to remove the mod with a save file created when the mod was there?

The save was corrupted with the recent version & rolling back to previous mod version doesn't work :) Now, I'm f**ked :) And learned to backup.

I'm not quite sure about this. It seems that a new started game gets correpted. Not old ones. Please no panic, resuming works now, but starting a new one not. Still investigating...

Starting a new game seems to be OK again. I will start/resume at least 3 times each and release then. No panic guys, all seems to be fine.

Start ok, resume ok, but load from quicksave not.

Edited by Nereid

I don't panic :) Just making fun of myself - a pro who's not backing up :)

Make a backup NOW. Revert back to the old release and try what happens. And report please, I'm still a bit puzzled, what is going on here...

Arghh... I wanted to remove the old load event. Unfortunately I have removed the save event. So a load/save will remove any ribbons in the save. Old (!) quicksaves should be unaffected.

0.6.4-689 should fix this.

This was clearly my mistake, sorry.

Unfortunately, I was thinking I have to test loading games only. And I needed a bit sleep, because I had to work in the early morning. If I had played myself I would have noticed this early.

Edited by Nereid

Also, put your Saves directory on Dropbox. I created a directory in my DB drive, and then made a link from DB to my KSP folder. (Linux/OS-X: 'ln -s', Windows: 'makelink.exe').

Works wonders for ease of mind :D

Nereid, just go and have a rest :)

I'm recovering the mission that was corrupted with the last save :) After that I'll try the fix :)

Reverting to the older mod version with the saves that were affected with the latest (not 0.6.4-689) version of the mod caused client crash.

So, I've found (lucky!!!) a lucky quicksave (was done yesterday) & recovered from it using the previous version of your mod. Playing nicely now.

Edited by Horus
update

So, I've found (lucky!!!) a lucky quicksave (was done yesterday) & recovered from it using the previous version of your mod. Playing nicely now.

Fine. I hope not to much people had lost any ribbons. And please guys: save often, make backups. This will keep headaches away from me, too. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Version 689 loads now, but I lost all my ribbons. Save came straight from 0.25.

No backups from 0.25

And a suggestion: try to load an old quicksave!

And a suggestion: try to load an old quicksave!

Hey, that worked! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Hm, loading from a persistence file does not work. A quicksave file with the exact same content loads fine though.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: It seems to load from a persistence file now for some reason. Weird³.

Hey, that worked! Thanks!

I'm glad to hear this. I hope not to much others have suffered from this mistake. But again: If you play a serious game, make saves often, make backups every then and now. The old concept with the halloffame.ksp in a seperate file and with 9 copies, is not that error prone. But it's completely incompatible with multiple quicksaves.

Hm, loading from a persistence file does not work. A quicksave file with the exact same content loads fine though.

Update: It seems to load from a persistence file now for some reason. Weird³.

Let's keep an eye on this. I will try a few tests on sunday. And hopefully I can play myself a bit again. Without playing KSP myself some bugs get not noticed early.

And well... it's the same in bigger projects. Release, hotfix, QA testing, bugs get unnoticed, hotfix again and sometimes it gets worse... This is not my first "release desaster", unfortunately in this case there is no other to blame than me. ;)

Lets hope the last release will not have any major issues.

The ribbon issue is fixed as far as I can tell. My gameplay today has had an odd experience glitch, however. It might have nothing to do with the new FF release, but about 1/3 my kerbals didn't get their 1xp from a flight, and none got orbital xp. Even on the same ship, some got xp and others didn't. Just strange. I have several other mods, and 2 others updated today as well, but if this isn't unique to me you at least have some feedback on it.

By the way, a fix (2 really) for a mod while I sleep, Nereid you're amazing. Thanks.

So far everything seems to be working for me, multiple quicksaves and stuff. I haven't tested starting a new game though.

Might I offer a suggestion? Have you considered pushing ribbon data out of the .sfs file for easier backup, i.e. a ribbon data file for every .sfs file associated by name with its parent (e.g. persistent.sfs, persistent-ribbons.dat)? However, I don't know much about KSP API, I have no idea if it is even possible.

The ribbon issue is fixed as far as I can tell. My gameplay today has had an odd experience glitch, however. It might have nothing to do with the new FF release, but about 1/3 my kerbals didn't get their 1xp from a flight, and none got orbital xp.

I don't think it has something to do with FF.

So far everything seems to be working for me, multiple quicksaves and stuff. I haven't tested starting a new game though.

Might I offer a suggestion? Have you considered pushing ribbon data out of the .sfs file for easier backup, i.e. a ribbon data file for every .sfs file associated by name with its parent (e.g. persistent.sfs, persistent-ribbons.dat)? However, I don't know much about KSP API, I have no idea if it is even possible.

This was my first solution. Mostly because I had no clue how to write to the persistent file and because I was to cautious to risk damaging that file. But I don't really like this idea anymore. You have to implement the file I/O and parsing yourself and it's another source for bugs. Then I have to add some kind of rotate again, do deliver some kind of very minimalistic backup. Third: I had complaints that this approach won't work with some multiplayer mods out there. And last: A backup should include the whole save game anyway. That's the reason I wrote S.A.V.E in the last week. It was a great help yesterday to get the old saves back, to test load/save again.

The last bug was caused by a misinterpreted behavior of some event callbacks. There are onGameStateLoad and onGameStateSave and I have used both at first. But onGameStateLoad is triggered before a load takes place (as onGameStateSave is triggered before a save takes place, what is exactly what I want). For unknown reasons this will work with a persistent file but not with a quicksave. So I had to move the loading functionality in the onGameStateCreated callback. Unfortunately my first fix had introduced two other bugs. A nullpointer and a not called onGameStateSave.

Edited by Nereid

So, I'm not sure why, but I keep losing accumulated ribbons. I've not updated anything from .25; I started using FF with .90 and on a new career (new to .90, existing in the sense that the career had been started before adding FF). I did update FF when you fixed the bug I reported about landing on the Mun. When I updated there, I lost ribbons too, so I went about recreating "firsts" with the kerbals I knew I wanted to have those ribbons. I load the save today and those ribbons are gone again, even the custom one I created is back to "19 Custom".

Any ideas?

So, I'm not sure why, but I keep losing accumulated ribbons. I've not updated anything from .25; I started using FF with .90 and on a new career (new to .90, existing in the sense that the career had been started before adding FF). I did update FF when you fixed the bug I reported about landing on the Mun. When I updated there, I lost ribbons too, so I went about recreating "firsts" with the kerbals I knew I wanted to have those ribbons. I load the save today and those ribbons are gone again, even the custom one I created is back to "19 Custom".

Can you tell me what ribbons are lost and when? I'm using the current version from FF in my game and I have no issues so far.

FF won't delete ribbons itself. They are just lost, if a) another ribbon supersedes it, B) you revert back to another point in time (quickload/revert flight), c) you revoke them or d) the name of a kerbal changes.

A bug in the supersede chain may result in a (temporary) lost ribbon. A bug in the loading method may cause a loss, too. If KSP changes the internal representation of the kerbal, it should (!) have no effect, because FF will look for the ribbons by name, not by kerbal. But if there is any bug, I need a description of the exact situation, if a ribbon is missing. And make a copy of the KSP.log then.

Edited by Nereid

Second, i think i have a bug.

Final Frontier is copying the ribbons awarded into new saves.

that means that on save 2 all the ribbons in save 1 are already awarded.

Just tested this, and all works fine for me. which version are you using?

And: if you save in an ongoing game, all ribbons should be saved in save 2 (its the same game, so same ribbons ;)). If you mean different games, that this would be a bug. But I can't reproduce it here. Can you please exactly tell me, what you are doing to reproduce this bug?

I have switched games very often in the last days and I have never experienced this.

KSP 0.90 32bit

FF 0.6.1-604

by Saves i meant Games, i sequentially name my Games (Kerbin 1, Kerbin 2, etc).

i only noticed it on my "Kerbin 4" save that Jeb wasn't getting any ribbons.

i have copied KSP. deleted my old saves from it and created 2 new ones. "FF Test" & "FF Test 2".

started a new "Easy" Career in each.

in "FF Test" i strapped Jeb to a SRB and launched and got the ribbons.

Quit to menu

Create new Game "FF Test 2"

open Final Frontier

Jeb already has ribbons.

"FF Test" & "FF test 2" saves & Logs (Google Drive)

KSP 0.90 32bit

FF 0.6.1-604

"FF Test" & "FF test 2" saves & Logs (Google Drive)

Please update to FF 0.6.4-689. In 0.6.1 there is a bug in loading the ribbons. So it may look like the ribbons were incorrectly saved (and may be as a consequence they were), but the load method has a major bug. The bug isn't that obvious and in most cases (playing a single game with no quicksaves) you won't notice it. I have not noticed it myself until another kerbal fan has told me, that quicksaves won't work.

Important: make a backup of your save before updating.

And please report back, if there are still issues of course. :)

Edited by Nereid

To open the Final Frontier Hall of Fame window just click on the button labeled "FF" in the toolbar or press LEFTALT-F (hardcoded at the moment, so it's not assignable to another key). If you are using the stock toolbar you will find some kind of award icon.

Is this still accurate? I have not installed the Toolbar, per below instructions, but there is no additional button in the stock toolbar. I know the addon is working, though, because it awards ribbons after missions. LeftAlt-F also works to bring up the menu.

Is this still accurate? I have not installed the Toolbar, per below instructions, but there is no additional button in the stock toolbar. I know the addon is working, though, because it awards ribbons after missions. LeftAlt-F also works to bring up the menu.

Well, it should. And it has worked someday. But the way it was implemented will not work reliable in C#. Fixed in 0.6.5 and thanks for reporting (I have switched to the stock toolbar myself by configuration).

Very minor fix. No update necessary.

If you don not want to update: Just open the config window and enable "use stock toolbar"

updating worked

Fine. :)

Edited by Nereid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.