Asteroids coming soonâ„¢ to KSP!

gutza1

New challenge idea!

Move the Magic Boulder! Build a ship durable enough to not explode on contact and see if you can push the thing.

But seriously, folks. I too am excited about the possible asteroid patch, although I suspect that the initial release would do to Kerbin exactly what Scott Manley's asteroid did - nothing. It'll most likely explode exactly the way a ship does and only cause the extinction of any Kerbals it lands on.

Uhm, wow. How has no one commented on what was 90% of the Polygon article?

KSP got made because Falanghe quit his job because SQUAD was working the crap out of him and the rest of the tiny team... Based on how they've handled this project lately, that actually makes a lot of sense.

Very clever move on the part of NASA. Oh, sure they spin it as a "community outreach" program. I think we all know their true intentions though. They're pressuring SQUAD to add asteroids so they can use KSP to plan their future asteroid missions for a fraction of the cost. Very clever indeed.

:P

Actually, maybe NASA wants to find out what clever solutions the players will come up with to retrieve a very small asteroid and bring it to LKO. We're not talking about planet-smashing asteroids here, we're talking about an asteroid's massing a few tons. So something that is easily doable by the current community. In fact, I've seen tons of scenarios where people have rescued wayward spacecraft using various appendages or cages to capture the small ship and bring it home either for LKO insertion or reentry.

So all of a sudden KSP devs are awesome but Squad turns into EA?

I didn't say anything about EA or the quality of the Devs. I was answering Blizzy78 about what, specifically, I meant when I referred to "How this project was handled." But since you asked, my opinions on the matter are as follows:

• The primary point of my original post was that I no-one seemed to notice or discuss that this game only got agreed to after Harvester quit his job (and that was as a modeler, not as a developer). Really, the article linked by DirtyBob had very little to do with with the NASA mission pack. This really isn't common with a lot of internet articles, though. It's pretty common to title articles with misleading claims about topics only tangentially mentioned in the body of the text.
  • I think their dev's are good because they've built a good game.
  • I think I've made it pretty clear that I think someone (be it those same good devs or management higher up) made some really REALLY bad decisions recently RE: resource mining & multiplayer.
  • I think any lead dev who opens a conference to discuss his software's new features and says "I don't have a list of new features in front of me" on camera during that opening screwed up big time.
  • I don't remember saying anything about SQUAD's business practices (which I can only assume is why you brought up EA). Anyway, I didn't make any claims about SQUAD's business practices, but the article clearly states that SQUAD's workload grew, but didn't hire enough people to keep up, leading Harvester to quit.
  • I don't find it surprising SQUAD didn't seem interested in the game to begin with and now that it's become an early-release success, they want to maximize profit from the game (including multiplayer to expand interest) instead of expending resources to increase game-play quality (axing resources).
  • It's my understanding that horrid workplace conditions in entertainment software aren't unique to EA.

Does this mean that asteroids will be DLC only? At least there's always the asteroid mod for everyone else. I look forward to seeing what's done with these mission packs in future.

If you mean paid DLC, no way. NASA only releases free game content. And every photo NASA releases is public domain (no copyright). So I can't imagine NASA would charge for an educational game. Though...budgets are a bit tight...

Stuff

Lethal, the way I read that article he didn't quit. He was going to and the folks at Squad gave him a chance to make the game once he finished up his ongoing projects. As KSP has gotten more successful, he's gotten more resources. He has a good size team now on payroll. The whole ending of that article is about how Squad gives it's employees a chance to do something they are passionate about.

Secondly, for the most part I disagree with you (with the exception of Kerbalcon, mainly because I didn't watch it). While I too am disappointed that resources were shoved off into the blackness of space, I don't consider it to be that bad considering the fact they are finally building a career mode.

that said, I think this very topic of conversation is far off base from the point of the thread. With respect to that I have to say I can't wait for this asteroid mission pack. I think there is a lot of promise from various missions packs being added to the game with unique events you have to overcome. They could have a similar event with a comet that we could launch a Rosetta type mission to. It lends a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to playing KSP.

edit: and I'd expect this NASA mission to be released for free. No source for it, just knowing how they operate when it comes to outreach.

If you mean paid DLC, no way. NASA only releases free game content. And every photo NASA releases is public domain (no copyright). So I can't imagine NASA would charge for an educational game. Though...budgets are a bit tight...

But NASA isn't releasing this KSP expansion/mission pack/DLC/whatever you want to call it. SQUAD is. And they are free to charge whatever they want. I'll go on record now and say I would be shocked if this little mission pack thingie is free for existing users.

Also, remember that NASA will make that (awesome) asteroïd mission pack for promotion.

I don't think they would require anyone to buy promotion.

(But we don't know yet if the pack will be usable with the demo or if you will have to buy KSP)

But NASA isn't releasing this KSP expansion/mission pack/DLC/whatever you want to call it. SQUAD is. And they are free to charge whatever they want. I'll go on record now and say I would be shocked if this little mission pack thingie is free for existing users.

Prepare to be shocked then ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.