[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

So now that we've go a link to editor extensions, it doesn't have an install instruction, does it just go in the gamedata folder or where? Help please.:(

Yep, same as every other mod. Enjoy!

Does anyone know the proper angle to enter at with deadly reentry? I've survived reentry intact a few times but more often than not the landing gear explodes. I can't seem to find a reentry "sweet spot".

I had to modify the config files of the parts on the bottom of the orbiter to have DRE ablative shields, then it works fine with a periapsis of ~20k. Gotta keep the nose up and vertical velocity > -100 m/s though.

I had to modify the config files of the parts on the bottom of the orbiter to have DRE ablative shields, then it works fine with a periapsis of ~20k. Gotta keep the nose up and vertical velocity > -100 m/s though.

For me DRE was already supported by the mod natively? o.O I had 250 ablative shielding on every part except the nosecone which is actually a little tricky as due to the nosecone not being shielded I have to reenter at a 45-50 degree angle and still get the cockpit to abt. 500-800 degrees... other than that it works perfectly fine for me... (There was a native dre_KSO file in the FX folder of the KSO download)

For me DRE was already supported by the mod natively? o.O I had 250 ablative shielding on every part except the nosecone which is actually a little tricky as due to the nosecone not being shielded I have to reenter at a 45-50 degree angle and still get the cockpit to abt. 500-800 degrees... other than that it works perfectly fine for me... (There was a native dre_KSO file in the FX folder of the KSO download)

Yes I know but based on looking at the B9 DRE stuff, it looked incomplete to me. Especially for the landing gear. So I copied the B9 DRE stuff in and I no longer have any problems.

And how would one go about doing this?

Edit the config files of the parts and change the values of rescaleFactor and mass. But you have to be careful to change all parts. I'm not even sure it will work, but I have done it for individual parts before.

So I have attempted about a dozen landings following the video exactly and as soon as I hit the atmosphere the ship goes bonkers. I'm sorry but something here is wrong. The easiest way to land is to strap a couple of parachutes onto the cabin and let the craft tear itself apart and then just coast down on the cabin.

Edited by paramedicdoc

So I have attempted about a dozen landings following the video exactly and as soon as I hit the atmosphere the ship goes bonkers. I'm sorry but something here is wrong. The easiest way to land is to strap a couple of parachutes onto the cabin and let the craft tear itself apart and then just coast down on the cabin.

Are you running physics changing modifications like FAR, or DRE?

And by video, do you mean the video I posted?

Best way to test is to quick save (F5) right before you begin your retro-burn re-entry procedure. Move all of your favorite mods out of the GameData folder (temporarily) and install the KSO. Test re-entry and landing. Odds are you installed a physics based mod that changes how you come in. It's the only explanation I can think of.

Are you running physics changing modifications like FAR, or DRE?

And by video, do you mean the video I posted?

Best way to test is to quick save (F5) right before you begin your retro-burn re-entry procedure. Move all of your favorite mods out of the GameData folder (temporarily) and install the KSO. Test re-entry and landing. Odds are you installed a physics based mod that changes how you come in. It's the only explanation I can think of.

I regularly reenter the KSO with FAR installed. I did install the FAR config patch posted earlier though.

Edit the config files of the parts and change the values of rescaleFactor and mass. But you have to be careful to change all parts. I'm not even sure it will work, but I have done it for individual parts before.

All the parts? I just want the one part changed to use it in the KSO, the buran arm

Its likely that you have to much fuel left in the tank, when i first flew it i had that problem, and when the tanks were emptier, the craft stabilized itself, I then proceeded to reload, lower tank levels, and crash on the runway in my first attempt to land.

I have found that the aft only fuel tank has lead to a lot of stability troubles, most people have dumped the extra fuel out before landing. Others have used mods to dump the fuel or after burn run the engines to use it all up. I've been thinking maybe a fuel tank in the bay piece would be a lot better, and the current tank location converted over to RCS fuel. Pitty that wings can not carry fuel (last i heard) as they would be an idea location for fuel.

All the parts? I just want the one part changed to use it in the KSO, the buran arm

If you just want to rescale the Buran arm, then just edit that. I'm talking about rescaling the entire orbiter system including launch vehicle.

This week's update

-Work began on Phase II

-Phase II 3D Geometry 50% complete

-KSO Cargo Bay improvement. That included whole new colliders and lowering of the floor in preparation for Phase II

To Do:

-Docking Rings (low profile, KSO/VAB friendly)

-Fuel Accessory Module (For Station, KSO or SST)

-Low Profile RCS boxes

-Trusses (2 styles)

-Solar Panels

Work In Progress:

http://i.imgur.com/RyEDk3o.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/5oBZH

Them sure are some nice looking models you got there, I can't wait to see what these "solar panels" look like...

*holds breath*