[0.90WIP] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em 0.9.21, Dec 19

swamp_ig

Would you prefer decouplers to:  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer decouplers to:

• Closely as possible follow stock behaviour
    • Have a sensible relation between size, decoupler force, and mass

Dunno if this has been an issue lately, also not tested if mod conflict, just wanted to say when I reload all, it stops reloading, it gets stuck. And it's cause by PP. Whenever I remove it, it reloads just fine.

You mean when you have PP installed you have freezes and crashes?

Dunno if this has been an issue lately, also not tested if mod conflict, just wanted to say when I reload all, it stops reloading, it gets stuck. And it's cause by PP. Whenever I remove it, it reloads just fine.

Yes! So it is not just me. Exactly the issue I'm having with this mod as well. (Using RealFuels too if that matters)

Edited by Scripto23

It doesnt, maybe, I don't have it. Havent tested in stock but it freezes last time on my modded install. Only a few though, it's a test copy.

I don't use real fuels yet ive been having issues a bit too, I just figured it was because I was playing with a heavily modded GameData file, (and even those mods are heavily tweaked and customised)

it looks like we all have this same issue

but I think my issues are down to running out of memory, damn 32bit unity :/ lol

Are you planning on adding Stretchy SRB's Utilization feature?

Also, I've been having an issue. On some of my big rockets, the procedural parts all become the normal size they start out as. Reloading doesn't help and changing the values does nothing. I only see this in the procedural parts. On rockets in which I have both Stretchy SRB parts and Procedural part parts, only yours has that problem. I'll see if I can replicate it to see if the log shows anything.

Are you planning on adding Stretchy SRB's Utilization feature?

You can mimic utilization by scaling the unitsPerT or unitsPerKL in the config file by whatever factor you like.

The aim is to mimic stock, which is what the current settings do. Otherwise you're making the PP tanks worse than stock

For the real fuels tanks, there is a config value for utilization as part of the TankContentSwitcherRealFuels, you can tweak that if you want to.

Nope, it's actually just fine until I reload. The reload freezes, not the game. It stops when it reaches the PP.

Will have a look into this. Might well be already fixed in the dev version.

You provided a new .dll for RF support but did you take into account that there was a new RF version released yesterday,which renamed the .dll and probably changed some stuff? You need to update your replacement .dll too, I guess :wink:

I will have to double check, but I think the new DLL will have the updates in it as required, so you don't need to worry about my version.

It has everything you asked me to add and your pull request, so... :)

BTW the point of utilization is that it can be done as a tweakable ingame, so that real rockets' stages can be replicated (i.e. so you can tweak how much of a procedural "tank" is actually tank, and how much is empty space / structure). We were talking a ways back about computing that automatically based on the stage length/width aspect ratio, but making it user-tweakable ingame in real time was an easier and more flexible solution.

Yeah I noticed it when I played after I posted that. Anyway a new question, how about adding a new SRB part with a skirted nozzle similar to the Shuttle SRBs? :D

That was already my wish for Stretchy SRB, so I'm going to pass it on to you now :D

Edited by DasBananenbrot

BTW the point of utilization is that it can be done as a tweakable ingame.

Oh yeh, can do that easy enough :)

Edit:

This wouldn't really fit with the stock configuration as they all have the same 'utilization' in any case. Certainly with the RF part it's an option

Edited by swamp_ig

Hi All!

Thanks for this GREAT addition to KSP!

I've been trying to use ProceduralParts with RSS and RealFuels. I performed the modifications suggested earlier in the thread (deleting items from liquidtank.cfg and rcstank.cfg & dl'ing the ProceduralParts.cfg to my RealFuels folder). RealFuels now will recognize the procedural tanks, but the volume of the tank remains at 8000 without regard to the physical size of the tank:

image.tiff

Where have I dropped the ball?

Hi All!

Thanks for this GREAT addition to KSP!

I've been trying to use ProceduralParts with RSS and RealFuels. I performed the modifications suggested earlier in the thread (deleting items from liquidtank.cfg and rcstank.cfg & dl'ing the ProceduralParts.cfg to my RealFuels folder). RealFuels now will recognize the procedural tanks, but the volume of the tank remains at 8000 without regard to the physical size of the tank:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/webkit-fake-url://477C93A2-7181-4C97-B916-1E0BD3419038/image.tiff

Where have I dropped the ball?

Ah, you want to download the parts from the first post in the RealFuels compatibility section and the replacement dll from there. That was an old workaround, but its officially supported now

Hi All!

To clarify:

• Use the latest version of real fuels (v5.1)
  • Install ProceduralParts.xxx.zip
  • Install ProceduralParts.RealFuelsSupport.xxx.zip

That's it. You don't need to delete things or anything. There's a module manager file in RF support which will hide the other tanks.
    If you really want to save every bit of memory, you can delete the Tanks subfolder in Parts if you want. This probably won't make much of a difference in total memory use in the grand scheme of things.

But the current RF-compatible version is still potentially save-breaking, right? I've been hanging on to the previous version because that warning in the OP scares me.

Yes, it will break saves, but once you update to the most recent version, future updates will not break saves. So there's no point waiting unless you want to use v0.7.4 forever.

Yes, it will break saves, but once you update to the most recent version, future updates will not break saves. So there's no point waiting unless you want to use v0.7.4 forever.

Anything built with the current version will *not* work in the next version (at least not without a bit of save file editing), so might be worth holding out for a bit.

A bit will not be much longer. Got the issue fixed but I have another feature in progress which isn't releasable yet.

Is there a way you could make it automatically add other fuel types by detecting fuels added by other mods?

The other thing, is there a way to make a procedural service module that has battery charge, RCS and Fuel/Oxidizer?

Is there a way you could make it automatically add other fuel types by detecting fuels added by other mods?

The other thing, is there a way to make a procedural service module that has battery charge, RCS and Fuel/Oxidizer?

I'm sure this feature will be implemented at some point, but for now can help with the "other mods" bit, I've made a set of Add-ons that add procedural tanks for Kethane, TAC, Interstellar and Extra-planetary launch pads, as soon as swamp_ig gives me a green light i'll release them :) They're ready for release.

Here's my thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75761-WIP-%280-23-5%29-Procedural-Parts-mod-compatibility-extra-tanks

Any other mods you'd like to see catered for just send me a PM :)

And by service module do you mean it creates power, of just holds it?

if it just holds (and just charges at a constant rate regardless of size) I could knock one together in about 20-30 minutes, but if you'd want the charge to scale with the size that's quite complicated

EDIT:

How does this look? :) The service module only creates 18 electrical charge a minute, too high?

7Z5rI5Y.png

Edited by Eggman360

Heya, had a look through your code to see how hard it would be to add the box shape...

Came up with this idea for specifying dimensions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dj89mr3x2dl9vw9/quad.png

The three main drivers are side1, side2 and the angle between them.

Length is just as the other shapes.

The common chord is directly derived from the three main params (used in internal calcs)

I've played with the UI code to make it do the following:

1 - if the user just modifies side1, it behaves like a square

2 - if the user has modified side1 and side2 only, it behaves like a rectangle

3 - otherwise it's a freeform style quad, sides 3&4 are stretched to be at least as long as the common chord.

I think I would put the stack point on the intersection of the bi-divisor lines (each side/2)

Does anyone see problems with this approach?

Code:https://www.dropbox.com/s/y335vf9iqxh5lks/ProceduralShapeBox.cs

I'm still getting my head around creating the object and collision meshes, but I likes a challenge :confused: and this is the first mod that I have been interested in coding for.

Edited by orcman
image didnt link, dang it

Not easily - the issue is one of tank density - since KSP resource densities (which are mass per unit of resource) have very little to do with real-world density (mass per unit volume, where one unit of volume == one unit of resource), the only way to figure out density is to get a part of a similar size to an existing part and calculate it by hand.

Once you've done that however it's pretty easy just to code up a part to handle the resource, which is exactly what Eggman has done for some common mods.

So you're having this an an extruded shape - like having a constant profile quad taken along a length?

I'm going to handle generalized extrudes not too far in the future. Then you can specify whatever shape you like.

Yeah pretty much, I hadn't thought to expand it to a generalised case.

Really I had thought of just making it a box - eight points, not as a series of profiles along a curve / line.

That's about as far as I can get atm, I think - It's more of an exercise of learning how to write mods, and if I could contribute something useful in the process, all the better.