[WIP] Random Failures (for your masochism needs XD)

HoneyFox

Well the thread title tells all.

Current progress:

Basic framework for random failures: can support multiple types of failures now, still lacking "Repair/Replenish" & "Mission Controller additional quality-assurance expense affecting probability of failures" designs though.

Some failures implemented:

Decoupler random activation due to overheat,

Engine random explosion/shutdown due to resonate or exceeded vibration,

Engine random explosion due to overheating,

Resource leakage due to Gee load and/or exceeded amount of fuel in a tank with a very low dry mass (balloon tank)

Source-codes are on GitHub: github.com/HoneyFox/RandomFailures/

Currently the development pace is slow so don't expect it to have many new failures coming out very soon. :P

Also I'm expecting other coders to join and help.

Engines do. Decouplers, however, are harder to overheat.

I have another proposition. Accident investigation simulation. Track whether a single part had failed on any particular design. After that (assuming a flight is not reverted) disable failures on that particular part on this craft, and every later iteration (made by loading the .craft file and re-saving it). After 3 failures of the same type of part, disable failures for all identical parts on the entire ship. Additionally, there could be an option to also make the entire design unavailable for a while for this all to happen (you usually ground the entire vehicle family after a major failure).

Don't engines already explode due to overheating?

Stock game logic will and only will explode when it just exceeds the maxTemp, this will however have probability when temperature is getting close to maxTemp.

I have been waiting for a mod like this to come along! Two things I would want to be able to fail though:

- Decoupler fails to activate - this can happen in RL space programs as they depend on all of the explosive bolts going simultaneously

- Engine fails to start. This would give us an actual reason to put launch clamps on a separate stage from the engines!

Yes! This will actually mean there will be uses for launch escape systems, engine out capability, redundant parts, etc. I was hoping someone would make a mod like this. And of course it is HoneyFox :D who makes some of the most underrated mods in this game, they might not be flashy part mods with ramjets and such, but they really make for a greatly improved gaming experience.

To add to what skykooler already mentioned, some features I would like to see:

-Parachute failures (or maybe partial failures, so they don't completely open meaning decreased drag)

-Life support failure. Maybe hard to do, will depend on which LS mod being used

-Micrometeor impacts. Could be integrated into leaking of resources.

-Solar panels getting "stuck" while opening

I'll probably add others as I think of them.

I like the idea of failures, as long as the player has a way of either dealing with them or influencing them. Of course there will be unexpected failures in real life, but there are more options for dealing with them as well. I can not force my Kerbals to do additional safety checks or redesign my engines.

The idea that things are more likely to fail when hot sounds good - that is something you can influence and seems reasonable. The other stuff sound like things that can be dealt with too

I have always felt that KSP was not really appropiately fully portraying the uncertainties and hazards of space travel - when you venture into a for humans highly dangerous environment like space and you fully depend on technology to survive, any defect could be a major problem :)

Edited by Camacha

I think it would be cool if there was a function that could be called so you could easily add failures to specific parts that aren't already covered in the mod via modulemanager. And even the type of failure and rate of failure and other parameters, for example

@Part[KethaneDrill]
{
explosionFailure = false
functionFailure = true
failureRate = .01
evaFixable = true
randomActivation = false
randomResourceLeak = false
}

I love this idea, I really do, but could you please limit the failures to the kinds of things that have already happened to spaceships and aeroplanes? I know Kerbals are crappy engineers but don't go overboard. I'd like this to be reasonably realistic.

I love this idea, I really do, but could you please limit the failures to the kinds of things that have already happened to spaceships and aeroplanes? I know Kerbals are crappy engineers but don't go overboard. I'd like this to be reasonably realistic.

I don't understand, isn't it already like that? And that's why I was suggesting the failures be tweakable via modulemanager so you could set the severity and type of failure etc.

I don't understand, isn't it already like that? And that's why I was suggesting the failures be tweakable via modulemanager so you could set the severity and type of failure etc.

Yeah, maybe. I admit my post was largely preventative, and not in response to anything really. I just wouldn't want something stupid like wings breaking. I seriously doubt something like that would happen to NASA.

I think it would be cool if there was a function that could be called so you could easily add failures to specific parts that aren't already covered in the mod via modulemanager.

Oh I hope this is possible! Just disallow a part module for a failing part until it's fixed.

Some suggestions:

- Engines failing to cut off or change throttle (due to overheating or otherwise)

- Individual RCS block failures similar to engine ones

- Any deployable part failing to deply/retract

I think it would be cool if there was a function that could be called so you could easily add failures to specific parts that aren't already covered in the mod via modulemanager. And even the type of failure and rate of failure and other parameters, for example

@Part[KethaneDrill]
{
explosionFailure = false
functionFailure = true
failureRate = .01
evaFixable = true
randomActivation = false
randomResourceLeak = false
}

Very nice idea, Scripto23. Opening it up to the community in that way sounds pretty much perfect.

I like the idea of forcing direct or random failures on my designs to see how they hold up. Such failure initiation could be as simple as adding a 'destroy' context menu to each part.

Not sure if there is anything out there that does this.

And of course, for large vessels, causing a critical failure would result in rapid and catastrophic disassembly; I would expect nothing less than a glorious display of fragments. To this end, it would be fun to render fire and smoke from fuel-bearing and other volatile componants.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.