Cool wee things to do?

Highlad

So I have found myself bombarded by real life recently and I am finding less and less time to play the game :(

I figure that, if I could come up with some short missions around 15min playtime then I would be able to still have lots of fun playing the game while not burning into time I need for IRL stuff.

So here are the things I have come up with:

1. Build a REALLY fast plane
  2. Build a silly/unflyable rocket and try to fly it.
  3. Just go to orbit. :)
  4. Race to the mün
  5. Test small craft as part of a larger mission
  6. Design craft as part of a larger mission
  7. Try and build a boat (I still cant make a good one)
  8. Mess around with the cheats! (hack gravity/infinate fuel)

Do you guys have any suggestions? these will only keep me going for so long...

Build a plane/rover that can fly/drive upside down as well as right-side up.

Just run around in a rover, trying to get good air time.

All my SSTO planes are like that. Heck. Even one of my rovers that was transported by said SSTO planes is like that too.

Knock up a rover and take it for a spin round KSC. There's some neat stuff there, and all round it's probably the most detailed area in the whole game.

Do a free return Mun flyby. All you need to do is make orbit, set up and make one precise burn (about 850-900 m/s dV), then hit the timewarp and watch.

Try and crash two rockets into each other.

Download the Rollcage mod, and see if you can make a dragster that can keep your Kerbal alive in a bad crash. I usually run off the runway (build in SPH) to the right, hitting the hump where the elevated spaceport terrain meets the surrounding terrain to create my crashes...

My Dragster..

screenshot131_zpsfb3fcbfe.png

screenshot132_zps259b2cfd.png

Fatal...

screenshot128_zpsefff2e53.png

Non-Fatal!

screenshot134_zps392b0023.png

screenshot145_zpsf8f68f58.png

The trick is to make a quicksave before you start making runs, so you can just F9 after each run. Quick setup after the building of your car, and tons of fun! Some really hilarious accidents, and some were really cool and realistic looking. Mostly hilarious, though.

screenshot140_zps46b629f5.png

Edited by Werwolf

Have you simply walked or driven around and explored KSC? There are many interesting little details on and around those buildings.

cdCN40F.png

The island runway has some fun things to investigate as well. Also, the planets are really pretty. Sometimes I like to go back to a satellite I've previously put in orbit of one of them, and just watch the terrain roll by.

iZGK9Bv.png

Make a 10-minute taxi ("the car will be with you in 10 minutes" ranks alongside "the cheque's in the post" and other standard lies) -

1) Pick a spot on the map of Kerbin

2) Launch/take-off from KSC

3) Land at your selected spot within 10 minutes (met)

Yes, you should be able to do it with a sub-orbital ship/plane. Popping into space for a while is up to you.

I have one saved game in which I have 4 ships with 2 EVA kerbals each going in highly elliptic orbits out to Jool and inside Moho. While I'm doing something else (i.e. work) I run it in map mode, focused on the sun, at full time warp, and wait for interesting intersects to happen... It's like a screensaver for physics geeks.

Tiny Ship

Command Seat

See how tiny you can make a ship and still get a Kerbal to orbit. Half the challenge is just figuring out how to get the guy into the seat on the launchpad .... but it also makes for fun times.

Kerbal Kamping!

Build a weekend retreat for the Kerbal crew near the obilesk near the KSC. Make a habitat space, transport it out there, and then make a rover bus to transport Kerbals out and back. See how "homey" you can make it for the gang. They work hard, they deserve some luxory.

I bet u could unlock the whole tech tree with probes in 15 minute sessions. Overbuild the engines to keep burn time to a minimum. Mainsails only kind of thing. With an asparagus launcher saved as a subassembly u could get a probe to most places in 15 minutes and transmit the yummy science back.

Develop a vehicle for finding and landing at the anomalies around Kerbin.

Don't just get to orbit, race to orbit. What is the highest acceleration you can put on your vehicle and still put it in at least 75km orbit. Keep iterating and trying to best it. Just how quickly can you get shock heating? (Yes, I'm talking absurd TWR)

Vehicle with a good suspension. Using the ibeams as part of the suspension to allow more flex. Mix between long control arms from the center and wishbone suspension on the wheel it self.

1072327_10151539380531725_1091448003_o.jpg

Freelancer advanced train remake

screenshot6_zps7c20da6b.jpg

B2 bomber

screenshot21_zpsc11cc931.png

TripzterB2Front_zps09c44037.jpg

At last my sun...satellite.

screenshot1_zps48d18fa4.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.