[0.23.5] Goodspeed Aerospace Parts v2014.4.1B

Gaius

And another update! Now with support for free scaling and custom scale factors. I kinda hope the latter will be used more than the former.

Download

Example .cfgs:

MODULE

{

name = GoodspeedTweakScale

freeScale = true // Default false

stepIncrement = 0.1 // Default 0.01 when freeScale is true

}

MODULE

{

scaleFactors = 0.625, 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, 5.0 // Default range of scale factors

}

Yeah. So just like without freeScale, if you want another range, you need to specify it with minScale and/or maxScale:

MODULE

{

freeScale = true // Default false

stepIncrement = 0.1 // Default 0.01 when freeScale is true

minScale = 1 // Default 0, even with freeScale

maxScale = 2 // Default 4, even with freeScale

}

I expect that fuel volumes and mass 'drift' when used with extreme scale and repeated rescaling. This problem will likely be small, but will grow with the number of rescalings. I don't see a very nice way to fix it without breaking support for rescaling modular fuel tanks, so I'll just leave it as a warning, and see what I can do if it turns out to be a real problem.

What I want to test the TweakableScale with is that Cargo Transportation-Solutions (WIP)... damn I cannot access my home computer right now.

I tried it out to make a smaller versions of the CTS cargo bays a few days ago and it worked fine. I use a MM config to apply it to all parts in the Structural category and I haven't had any problems so far.

I tried it out to make a smaller versions of the CTS cargo bays a few days ago and it worked fine. I use a MM config to apply it to all parts in the Structural category and I haven't had any problems so far.

Great! Now let me add it to PART[*]... muhuhahaha...

Yeah. So just like without freeScale, if you want another range, you need to specify it with minScale and/or maxScale:

Um, i've just had chance to try this and the plugin no longer works. The parts I drag in have their scale set to 1, and done resize when the tweakable is altered.

This is what I've got in my parts:

MODULE
{
defaultScale = 2
minScale = 0
maxScale = 2
}

I've tried download it again but still no luck. I can only assume the latest changes since this post have caused it, but I can't download old dll versions to check.

Care to give me a output_log.txt? I can't seem to replicate i...

I think I got it. Are you using Modular Fuel Tanks 4.3? The version linked by OP on http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64117-0-23-5-Modular-Fuel-Tanks-v4-3 ?

The source is rather different from v4.3, so I have to choose one of the two. I guess v4.3 is the sensible choice.

Anyways, reverted to v4.3. Download here.

So try that. If you have no luck, please post output_log.txt from the KSP_DATA directory.

I think I got it. Are you using Modular Fuel Tanks 4.3? The version linked by OP on http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64117-0-23-5-Modular-Fuel-Tanks-v4-3 ?

I'm not using Modular Fuel Tanks at all. I'm only making use of TweakScale on its own here, I suspect that could be the issue as this latest version works, although I keep getting appear in my log:

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'modularFuelTanks, Version=4.0.5205.24849, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
at System.Linq.Enumerable.CreateSelectIterator[PartResource,Double[]] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 selector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Select[PartResource,Double[]] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 selector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at GoodspeedTweakScale.updateByRelativeVolume (Double rescaleFactor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at GoodspeedTweakScale.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Also, the parts I've set this on have a default scale of 2, I can reduce it down to 1 and 0, but when I go back to 2 it doesn't rescale back to its normal size (or rescale at all in fact). That worked fine with the earlier version I tried. At least the min-max scale doesn't reset when you copy parts any more.

After a while I managed to recreate the exception. So I rewrote how I deal with Modular Fuel Tanks. New version up, which at the least removes the exception for me.

As for rescaling not working, I have not been able to recreate that problem. I'm not entirely sure what to do, but maybe a complete copy of a part you're having problems with?

Quick question, just decided to try this mod out. How do you add the ability to rescale other parts such as stock parts? I've got module manager already. Also, how do you actually do the rescale?

Quick question, just decided to try this mod out. How do you add the ability to rescale other parts such as stock parts? I've got module manager already. Also, how do you actually do the rescale?

I had a similar question. From looking at the configs it looks almost like it's as simple as slapping the TweakScale module on the part's config, setting the scale factor to 1 and calling it a day. That said...that sounds way too easy.

After a while I managed to recreate the exception. So I rewrote how I deal with Modular Fuel Tanks. New version up, which at the least removes the exception for me.

As for rescaling not working, I have not been able to recreate that problem. I'm not entirely sure what to do, but maybe a complete copy of a part you're having problems with?

I think that resolved the issue. I need to do more testing but initial experiments haven't turned up any of the issues I've reported before, and that exception has certainly gone.

Like phoenix_ca said, just add

MODULE

{

defaultScale = 2 // For 2.5m parts. 3 for 3.75m parts, 4 for 5m parts, 0 for 62.5cm parts and 1 for 1.25m parts.

}

Some feedback of the TweakScale plugin:

1. Some mod parts (NP, KW, etc.) seem to be scaled by their own and using TweakScale will make their size rescaled and after that their attach nodes are misplaced.

2. When using this plugin, flight camera will sometimes suddenly shift to tens of metres away from the rockets and gradually shift back, a bit annoying. In rare cases, the rocket might disassemble itself due to "gee-force exceeded" according to the flight log when the camera shifts.

So I created a ModuleManager config and put this in to test:

@PART[*] {
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1 // For 2.5m parts. 3 for 3.75m parts, 4 for 5m parts, 0 for 62.5cm parts and 1 for 1.25m parts.
}
}

But I don't seem able to tweak anything (except your parts obviously.) I should be able to just right click on a part to adjust it's scale, correct?

Some feedback of the TweakScale plugin:

1. Some mod parts (NP, KW, etc.) seem to be scaled by their own and using TweakScale will make their size rescaled and after that their attach nodes are misplaced.

2. When using this plugin, flight camera will sometimes suddenly shift to tens of metres away from the rockets and gradually shift back, a bit annoying. In rare cases, the rocket might disassemble itself due to "gee-force exceeded" according to the flight log when the camera shifts.

How are you going about #1? If you just add

MODULE

{

defaultScale = 2

}

the results will be wrong for any part that's not intended to be 2.5m.

Judging by your earlier post:

Great! Now let me add it to PART[*]... muhuhahaha...

this is rather likely to be the problem.

If you are setting defaultScale correctly per part (0 for 62.5cm parts, 1 for 1.25m and so on), and the scale is still wrong, please give some more information, and I'll see if I can figure it out. You could even post the .cfg files.

Now #2... there is nothing in Scale.dll that even remotely involves the camera. Are you sure it's this plugin? If the problem only occurs with this plugin, does it disappear if no other plugins are used? Can you identify a minimal set of plugins that gives this problem?

So I created a ModuleManager config and put this in to test:

@PART[*] {
MODULE
{
defaultScale = 1 // For 2.5m parts. 3 for 3.75m parts, 4 for 5m parts, 0 for 62.5cm parts and 1 for 1.25m parts.
}
},

But I don't seem able to tweak anything (except your parts obviously.) I should be able to just right click on a part to adjust it's scale, correct?

Fixed! ...hopefully. However, what you're doing there won't really work the way you probably want it to. If you look at the comment after defaultScale = 1, you'll see that a value of 1 means it's a 1.25m part. Not every single part in the game is. If you do what you've done above, then place a 2.5m part, the scaling on it will be wrong - a value of 0 will make it a 1.25m part, 2 will make it 5m, 3 will be 7.5m and 4 will be 10m. For a smaller part the result will be the opposite - 0 will be 31.25cm, 2 will be 1.25m, 3 will be 1.875m, and 4 will be 2.5m.

Instead, you will have to make a ModuleManager config for every part, and set defaultScale accordingly.

Not really. It's just the scales are tuned for those sizes. For surface-attached parts, either figure out what scale seems right, or specify a custom set using

MODULE
{
scaleFactors = 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0
defaultScale = 2
}

or the like. The above would allow scaling for quarter size, half size, regular size and double size.

Now, only fuel tanks and structural parts are sensibly scaled - no extra crew space, no more effective engines, no better RCS, no stronger reaction wheels...

Bah. Doesn't matter. Even just being able to cut-down a myriad of structural parts like fairing bases for Procedural Fairings and the like to a handful is a big gain. Mind some parts probably wouldn't do so gracefully, like trusses, at least if you want to scale along one axis.

Stuff like scaling resources and settings would need a lot more support, and it'd probably be better for all of us if Squad did that themselves. Would be really, really nifty though, if we could collapse a myriad of complex parts like engines which often currently have a part for each size, down to a single part and a single config. Gods that'd be delicious.

Hopefully this plugin becomes just as fundamental as Module Manager is now.

Edited by phoenix_ca

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.