Community interest in Gas planet 2

How interested are you in seeing GP2 added to stock KSP  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How interested are you in seeing GP2 added to stock KSP

• I am very interested in the addition of GP2 (or another gas giant) to the stock game
    • I am somewhat interested in the addition of GP2 (or another gas giant) to the stock game
    • I don't have strong feelings about adding GP2 to the stock game
    • I'm not interested in seeing GP2 in stock, but I want to see other planets added (share below)
    • I don't think any other planets should be added to stock KSP

...Just like science you mean?

You can get a lot of science from kerbin, mun and minmus... i remember hearing people getting through the complete tech-tree without ever leaving the kerbin system (cannot confirm if that is possible... i went to other planets long before finishing the tech tree).

Oh this tired worn out argument once more, we almost had a week go by without it, thanks EleSigma :/

Mining resources, from what I've been able to gather, was a catch 22 situation. You can't get the resources unless you reach the other planets, but you can't reach the other planets without the resources...

Plus mining can be extremely dull (I'm looking at you EVE online), forcing players to mine is bad, but if we don't have to mine what's the point of having mining?

You already paid, you're going to get the updates for free, you have nothing to complain about :)

So, uhm, I can't believe I'm saying this to a Mod about resource mining, but...

Can we refrain from discussing resource mining on this thread, because it's waaaaaay of topic? I mean, I honestly feel like I can't mention it by name without threats of thread locks (which is why it's referred to as a "feature that shall not be named"). EleSigma was stating an opinion, and no one else engaged with that topic.

I'd rather not have it be the cause for this legitimate thread to get locked.

EDIT: I guess I should say that goes for the other side of the argument, too, regardless of my personal feelings about the topic.

Edited by LethalDose

• 2 weeks later...

Someone mentioned features on the planets themselves? Caves, rivers etc. i would like that alot. Interesting caves and such to explore. (And build for) would be awesome. Imagine the cave systems that must exist on mars...

I don't really care if it's a gas planet they add or whatever, but I just want Eeloo to actually have a body to orbit. I have this tendency to completely avoid it because I know it is the most unfinished region of space in the game, which just deters me from going there until it's at least orbiting the body it was intended to. I get that's probably a strange reason but Eeloo is practically non-existent in my game due to this.

I get that other things need to be done first, so I'm happy to wait of course, but yes, I would love to see a new orbiting body. Asteroids are cool, but they just don't do it for me since there's no mystery. I already know it's going to be a big grey rock.

Currently doing my 3rd craft's attempt at landing on Eeloo right now, and damn is it lonely out here! (It's taken me 3 attempts to get a craft that's even vaguely capable of return, lol)

I would like to see Eeloo become less lonely at least, maybe she could have another of the possible GP2 moons keep her company sometime? be another reason to go all the way out there then :wink:

Someone mentioned features on the planets themselves? Caves, rivers etc. i would like that alot. Interesting caves and such to explore. (And build for) would be awesome. Imagine the cave systems that must exist on mars...

This would be absolutely amazing. Building a Cave explorer would be so fun.

Gas Giant 2, 3, and resources have all fallen in the category of things that, much as the game needs them, are becoming increasingly likely with each passing day to not make it to KSP 1.0 They've been put off so long that my faith they'll ever be added is shaken to say the least. I'll actually form an opinion on them as whether or not I like them when they are about to be implemented.

It seems like with every update they Harvester says there is a secret thing they are working on. I keep hoping its a new planet and moons every time. I started a new career game with the ARM update and already sent Kerbals to and from every planet and moon with over 10000 extra science past unlocking everything. Need more to do and more places to go.

You all may have noticed the recently reported discovery of a cold (-13 degrees C) brown dwarf only 7.2 light years from earth.

I really like the idea of a cold brown dwarf out in the equivalent of the Oort cloud, with moons (or would they be planets?) with a frozen ice surface that could be landed on. And to have it come with a electrolysis plant stock part so you can manufacture your return fuel from the ice.

I don't really see how it would be "crowded", since anything else they add would likely be along Dres' orbit (asteroid belt) or out beyond Jool. Personally I'd at least like to see an asteroid belt, GP2, and an ice giant, the two giant planets of course having their own set of muns like the Jool system.

I really like the idea of a cold brown dwarf out in the equivalent of the Oort cloud, with moons (or would they be planets?) with a frozen ice surface that could be landed on. And to have it come with a electrolysis plant stock part so you can manufacture your return fuel from the ice.

+1 This would be even better than a 2nd GG. It could be a binary with Kerbol.

Come on, what is the use of ANOTHER planet.

You go to that planet, and land on it.

Done.

There is currently no use for new planets, Squad should(in my opinion) work on features that are useful, the ARM patch was useful, you can now grab things without docking ports, the 0.18 update was useful, it added docking ports, you got the ability to make stations.

Umm, no use to more planets? Isnt the ENTIRE PURPOSE of the game to go places and do stuff? Planets are places. Nuff said.

But seriously, what about exploration, science, the sheer beauty of it all, the fact you are on a goddamn planet or moon, a more than a literal million miles from home? I think that planets are usefull, if just for the sheer science gain possible for the tech tree, never mind the unique situations and challenges posed by each different planet or moon. Also, if there is no use for new planets, then surely we should just remove everything but kerbin and the mun, because there isn't any use to the other planets either?

Exploration was a huge part of the fun for me. Now I've seen everything. I remember sending probes to the jool system for the first time and how exciting it was. Now I build bases and fool around with weird constructions, but there's no more exploration. Going to Laythe is like a bus route now.

New bodies could create new challenges. Scott Manley's video on one of the planetfactory mods demonstrated that, with things like Inaccessible, that spins so fast its equator is travelling above orbital velocity.

what i meant before was yeah 1 more planet would be nice, but after a year, you will be bored with it and want another. squad cant just keep adding planets, the system will be overcrowded. as it is, most planets are anologues to our system, and i would like a saturn analogue. its moons could have the unique/memorable features some mentioned here(see above), but after that, where would another planet fit?

assuming eeloo becomes a moon of gp2, sure you could replace eello with another new planet, but after that, the system is pretty full(as far as orbits go, obviously space is a cold lonely empty void where you can only hear yourself think and are left to dwell on how your parents made you join band when you wanted to join the football team, thus ruining all hope of ever going to prom with Stacy Evert *sob* *sob*)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.