What an Asteroid actually should do.

MalfunctionM1Ke

Hi Guys,

I see a lot of People right now that are softlanding Asteroids but dont get me wrong.

You guys planned and succeeded on a pretty complex Mission :)

This is just a kind reminder.

I know in KSP there is no heat generated and Re-entry effects are mostly Visual but Asteroids are complex and very fragile celestial bodies.

The Forces that are affecting them when they are experiencing the friction and shock heating of an atmosphere will make them look more or less something like this:

I dont know if NASA was thinking about actually landing them on Earth :)

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

That meteor is traveling a lot faster relative to the planet than the asteroids we have captured into Kerbin orbit and then slowed for landing. But it you just let one of the asteroids that are on an impact trajectory with Kerbin come flying in, it should make a hot flaming entry like that.

That meteor is traveling a lot faster relative to the planet than the asteroids we have captured into Kerbin orbit and then slowed for landing. But it you just let one of the asteroids that are on an impact trajectory with Kerbin come flying in, it should make a hot flaming entry like that.

Granted Brotoro but shouldnt even the slightest aerobrake make it blow or at least break up?

Granted Brotoro but shouldnt even the slightest aerobrake make it blow or at least break up?

Depends on what they're made of. I've heard that a Class E weighs in at about 3000 (presumably metric) tons, with a radius of about 12 meters, so they're less dense than wood.

Yeah, they should probably pop if they graze the atmosphere.

The Chelyabinsk meteor was estimated at @12,000 tons, roughly four times the size of a class E. Class E would probably burn up higher in the atmosphere. Although it would be nice to have the streaking effects...

Interesting if the deadly reentry mod is working with 23.5, but still, not so many people are interested on making good visual effects for ksp like long smoke trails and visual particles or even shaders :/

You might want to check around the mod development forums and see what people have been up to lately.

The one takeaway from that video is that russians are made of friggin steel. Seriously. They remain so calm whilst observing what very well could be PLANETARY ANNIHILATION. I wouldn't be confident that wasn't going to happen seeing such a streak coming on anyway.

Then again, maybe it's just too unexpected and strange to provoke any kind of reaction quickly

The one takeaway from that video is that russians are made of friggin steel. Seriously. They remain so calm whilst observing what very well could be PLANETARY ANNIHILATION.

If YouTube has taught me anything, it's that you are correct.

After running the numbers on the asteroid I diverted by kinetic impact last night I would agree it should break up in the atmosphere and produce little more than a fireball. But it could still cause some devastation.

It's a "small" Class-E, coming in at only 1,344t, but must be nearly hollow as it has a radius from CoM of 25m (estimated from flyby photos where I "missed" it). Based on its orbit it was due to impact Kerbin at roughly 4,500m/s (relative to Kerbin) and at nearly 80° to the surface. 1,344t at 4,500m/s would release 13,608GJ of energy, roughly equivalent to a small North Korean Nuclear Bomb (3.25 kiloton). Given its angle of attack and velocity it's likely some of it would reach the surface, but with the low density much of the energy would be dissipated by the atmosphere as the rock breaks up. It might even break up once it gets deep into Kerbin's gravity... no idea.

Should make for an impressive light show (and a huge compression blast), but I still wouldn't want to be standing at the impact site. In KSP it'd probably just bounce around a bit then glitch out and go join the Hell Kraken.

Have you considered that everything in KSP is way heavier than in ordinary life?

Except for the asteroids, which I imagine are made of the same foam material they use for rocks and boulders in movie sets and theme parks

The one takeaway from that video is that russians are made of friggin steel. Seriously. They remain so calm whilst observing what very well could be PLANETARY ANNIHILATION. I wouldn't be confident that wasn't going to happen seeing such a streak coming on anyway.

Then again, maybe it's just too unexpected and strange to provoke any kind of reaction quickly

I have to wonder what kind of reaction that would have gotten in Russia at the height of the cold war.

There must be a hell of a lot of Russians with dashboard-mounted video cameras.

I hear it has something to do with rampant insurance fraud, but that could be hearsay. Either way, there are some hilarious Russian driving videos out there.

I hear it has something to do with rampant insurance fraud, but that could be hearsay. Either way, there are some hilarious Russian driving videos out there.

I think they're required by law to have them.

Give it time. It'll be a requirement in the West for everyone to wear Google Glass with record mode active 24/7.

In most cases, people driving their cars were driving towards the Sun, and it shines into their faces, so they couldn't see very well what's happening.

In other cases, some were mesmerized and terrified, which is a perfectly normal reaction we call "****ting your pants". It's like when a deer is in the middle of a road, staring at an incoming truck.

After the thing exploded, some of them were panicking, screaming, yelling, running, and some were trying to get a closer look near the windows, which were then shattered by the blast wave, cutting people's faces.

Basically, all normal reactions in a modern society. Nothing special or unique.

I think they're required by law to have them.

No, it's because of the highly corrupt police and to prove stuff in the court when a car accident occurs. The law does not say anything in favor or against car cameras.

Dashboard cameras are supposed to help you to deal with very corrupted road police.

...as long as they're transmitting to a remote location, so the cop can't just grab the camera and smash the storage device inside?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.