Class D= move a friggen mountain

engraverwilliam

I snagged one and I am bringing it in to a 100km orbit. I am almost there. So far I have used 3 orange tanks with 2 nervas attached with a total burn af about 1.5 hours so far. Now that it is closer I just sent up a new ship with tons of fuel and a big ass engine to try and bring it the rest of the way in. I am addicted!

Are there bigger rocks than D to grab?

My first capture was a 3000tonne E class. I redirected a small tug to check it out, and thats when I learnt that small tugs wont do anything to 3000 tonnes. Ive even hauled some massive tugs to it, this thing was a pain to move.

Edited by KasperVld

I dragged a ~3100 ton class E into a 275x275 orbit (or was it 250?)... Yeah, I think it was something like 10 Kerbal years to get it there (real heavy plane change as well). I set up a large docking clamp with a grabber, as perfectly aligned with the CoM as I could get it, then via the KAS add-on, attached a bunch of struts between my docking port and the asteroid itself. That helped significantly with steering the thing! After that, I was just sending up one orange tank after another after another with a couple LVN's on there, burn burn burn. Took forever! One thing to note is that with the stronger joints in this .23.5 patch, you can get away with a little bit more time acceleration while burning. Not much, but enough to really help...

And then I finally got my asteroid where I wanted it, started building it into a space station... And stuff kept just blowing up any time the asteroid came into a render range. BOOM. Jump to it from the Tracking Station? BOOM! Reload from a quicksave? BOOM!

So painfully disappointing. Starting over with a much smaller asteroid now.

http://i.imgur.com/mI6A8qZ.png

The first asteroid I captured and brought into LKO was an approx. 2800t class E, made it on my first try too and I'm currently building a base around it. Had to spend close to 100 000 units of fuel.

EDIT: Actually it was over 550 000 unit of fuel. 100 000 was just the upper stage.

Edited by theend3r

Aerobraking it should save on some time and fuel. What could possible go wrong?

First time I tried an 3000ton E my tug didn't have enough fuel to raise the apo out of the atmosphere (stuck at 50km), that's a recipe for a world extermination disaster if there ever was. Luckily it passed overhead of KSC and I could quickly launch a tug for the tug. I had to dock that one immediatly from launch, while it was dipping back into the atmosphere... Big pain, but a great feeling afterwards when it was in a 450x250 orbit after yet another tug. :sticktongue:

My asteroid tug is already lagging my PC, and its mission is just to deflect a class C a bit so it gets the right gravity assist. I fear if I want to do anything to an E class with any control I'll need a faster computer.

If you AFK hard enough, you can shift an asteroid's orbit using an(millions of) ion engine(s) ~0.8 years before it encounters Kerbin.

Then it will probbs aerobrake easily or float near kerbin long enough such that you can do another burn to capture it.

I dragged a ~3100 ton class E into a 275x275 orbit (or was it 250?)... Yeah, I think it was something like 10 Kerbal years to get it there (real heavy plane change as well). I set up a large docking clamp with a grabber, as perfectly aligned with the CoM as I could get it, then via the KAS add-on, attached a bunch of struts between my docking port and the asteroid itself. That helped significantly with steering the thing! After that, I was just sending up one orange tank after another after another with a couple LVN's on there, burn burn burn. Took forever! One thing to note is that with the stronger joints in this .23.5 patch, you can get away with a little bit more time acceleration while burning. Not much, but enough to really help...

And then I finally got my asteroid where I wanted it, started building it into a space station... And stuff kept just blowing up any time the asteroid came into a render range. BOOM. Jump to it from the Tracking Station? BOOM! Reload from a quicksave? BOOM!

So painfully disappointing. Starting over with a much smaller asteroid now.

http://i.imgur.com/mI6A8qZ.png

Sounds like you may have encountered a version of the NullReferenceException nonphysical timewarp bug. Once triggered, it will remain present in the game whether you switch crafts, reload from a quicksave, or even start a new save. However, exiting and restarting the game should remove the bug.

Some related threads, in case this is your issue:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75689-Nonphysical-timewarp-causes-phantom-torque-on-ships-in-physics-range

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/74854-Asteroid-Nonphysical-Timewarp-Self-Destruct

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75274-Frozen-orbit-null-reference-exception-%28REPRODUCIBLE-output-logs%29

Pah aerobraking is for noobs. Real men use an enormous 24 nerva super puller that weighs 1000t on orbit. This is a 3200t class E, which this ship single-handedly pulled into an almost circular orbit at ~600km.

ktqRJQU.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.