Seat Fixer - Assign Crew to Command Seats in VAB / SPH! Launch Kerbals on an SRB!

TouhouTorpedo

When command seats were released, I was hyped for what had been exclaimed about command seats, that we could "Launch a Kerbal on an SRB"

Then I found I was pretty disappointed that although this technically possible, the fun was entirely sapped out by running around trying to get a Kerbal from one pad to the other that had to be spawned in a pod first.

Well, no more. Enough is enough. It's time to take out the tedium and bring back the fun.

SpacePortSeatFixer.png

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

This mod does what it says on the tin. Makes you able to assign a Kerbal in the SPH or VAB to a command seat. This then makes that seat classed as "Controllable" and removes the "No manned modules" warning. Once you launch, the Kerbal will spawn, then jump in the seat. Now it's time for one last thing - the fun!

5yGrCsX.png

n3dJJzi.gif

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ttseatfixer/

If you want to make mods that use this plugin, go ahead. Please give a link to the original plugin though instead of providing it : I'd like to keep this up to date for one thing at one source, also I'd like to be sure how many people are downloading it - and for Squad to gauge what kind of interest there might be in an official fix for this problem in the future. This has it's own release thread for the same reason!

I considered it, but I'd rather not rely on it if avoidable.

It's 'avoidable' I suppose, the mod currently functions exactly as advertised. the appeal in module manager is that the base game isn't modified which makes things easier all around for the end user. sometimes it's prudent to quickly remove a mod (like when tracking down bugs and submitting reports to Squad), and simply hitting the delete button on a mod folder is much easier than digging around for a file in the stock directory tree that, months or so down the line, one might not even remember is there.

in the end it's up to you, but as for my part I'm gonna whip up an mm config for my own install. and hopefully not screw it up since I haven't made my own configs before yet XD

Edited by FenrirWolf

Oh Baby Yes!!!

I hate making rovers or ultra light aircraft without Kerbals in them.

Usually I end up making a bus out of those Hitchhiker containers and parking it next to the runway filled with 20 Kerbals just to crew my vehicles.

So I can finally retire my Bang Bus.

Thank you.

Edited by Tommygun

Well, I thought this would work, but it doesn't :/

@PART[seatExternalCmd]:Final
{
CrewCapacity = 1
}
MODULE
{
name = TTSeatFixer
airlockposition = 0,0,0
airlocksize = 0.25,0.25,0.25
airlockrotation = 90,0,0;
}

The crew capacity is added, but a kerbal doesn't appear (and the 'no control module' box still comes up).. hmm...

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Well, I thought this would work, but it doesn't :/

The crew capacity is added, but a kerbal doesn't appear (and the 'no control module' box still comes up).. hmm...

I've not used MM configs before but judging by the structure there, I think changing what you've done to this would solve it.

@PART[seatExternalCmd]:Final
{
CrewCapacity = 1
MODULE
{
name = TTSeatFixer
airlockposition = 0,0,0
airlocksize = 0.25,0.25,0.25
airlockrotation = 90,0,0;
}
}

HE'S ALIVE! The torpedo launches again!

Been back for a little while. Theres also an update out for Pitch Vector Engine which adds more engine types in the main thread.