How Did You Learn About KSP?

moeggz

I've noticed it mentioned in a post on unrelated forum. "Kerbal" did not ring any bells, but "Space Program" did - and how! :D First i Googled it, then took a look at YT clip and instantly fell in love. It had beautiful space, realistic rockets (staging!) and realistic physics (you have to flip your rocket around and burn retrograde to slow down. oh wow!). And it was version 0.17 :D So much changed since then...I don't play as much as i used to, but every update reinvigorates this flame back to glory.

I'm a big fan of the Yogscast, and watch most of their videos and series. Well one of their members, Duncan, did a 15 play-through video series on KSP, and by the time the 3rd episode was released I had downloaded the demo. By the time the 5th episode was released, I had bought the full version :P

I saw a discussion topic about the game on another site I visit. I thought it looked cool and bought it to support the project, but I didn't really play it myself and preferred to see other people post vids and screenshots instead. Plus, it's easy for me to kinda forget about a game I bought on a random website and that's what happened after a while.

A year or so later, I read that the game was just put up on Steam and that I could transfer my game license to it. I'm much more likely to remember I own a game if it's in my Steam inventory so I transferred it over.

A few weeks later I decided I was finally going to sit down and actually learn how to play the darned thing. And 300+ in-game hours later here I am.

I saw it pop up on steam every now and then. I'd actually dismissed it as some kids game (I knew nothing about it, that was purely based made on the appearance of the Kerbals themselves) but then thought 'hey, I like space, I'll give the demo a go to **** around for a bit'. Since then I've been hooked! Seems silly that I made such a poor judgement of it for so long!

A co-worker told me about it. He said it was a realistic rocket simulator with accurate orbital mechanics. When he mentioned apoapsis I thought he was talking about hypoxia and when he said staging I thought he was talking about rolling the rocket onto the launch pad.

Here I am a year later playing RSS and I don't think he ever got past his first space station.

I saw it mentioned on XKCD, googled it out of curiosity. Decided I had nothing to lose by downloading the demo. 10 minutes later, I was in a frenzy, trying to find my bank card, BECAUSE I HAD TO POSSESS THIS GAME!

Quite simply, this is the game I've been waiting for ever since I was 4 years old and was given my first space picture book!

Way back when it was just a demo I tried it. Got a rocket into orbit after many failed attempts and then forgot about it until this xmas when I saw it was on sale on Steam. Since then, well 482 hours played...

NerdCubed did a review of KSP a long time ago. Though I wasn't interested in KSP just from him. (I take pity on my past self), I then later first stumbled upon HOCgaming's "Artificial Gravity" series, and, with daydreams of building massive space stations with spinning rings, I bought KSP. Seriously no regrets. I love this community! :D

Saw it on steam at first, but I only really got interested once I saw Day[9] play it on a Day[9]'s day off. He blew up a ton of rockets but never made it to orbit. I thought "I can do better then that!", bought the game and got hooked.

So in short: Day[9] made me do it.

I read a topic on another forum in which people were discussing version 0.22 and the introduction of career mode. It didn't sound like the sort of thing I'd be interested in when I first read it, so I paid it little mind. A couple of months later, the topic got necroed, and I decided that rather than dismissing the game outright, I would watch a Let's Play and see what I made of that. So I did, realised my initial impression was completely wrong, and immediately bought it on Steam (something I kind of wish I hadn't done, as it went on sale the next day).

One of my friends, knowing that I enjoy space games and physics, suggested this game after he purchased it. I tried the demo and immediately fell in love with the game. Theres just something very fun about building rockets, space planes, and other various objects into orbit. Building with a challenge basically :) Been playing ever since. Easily my most played game on steam.

I decided to check out the top games on steam sales and saw this game listed for sale at ~$14 as compared to the usual $26.99. The game did look more geared towards children but I think the 'space' part of it is what kept me interested and I decided to check out some videos awhile later and immediately decided to buy the game even though at that point it had went back to being $26.99. No regrets.

I downloaded the demo (0.13) about October of 2012 (appx) and bought it in December 2012 (0.18)

C'ptn Skunky replied to a thread on Slashdot about educational games IIRC...hit the link, downloaded it and quickly learned that this is the game I have been waiting to play my whole life.

I put over 100 hours into the DEMO! I have $60 games that didn't rack up that kind of play. I got it on sale then for $17, a total bargain. I just paid full price three days ago to buy it for a new friend, I had never met anyone in real life who had even heard of it. (Although most of the people I know would probably at this stage, like to hear less about it! ) Even full price is a bargain for this much replayability.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.