How Did You Learn About KSP?

moeggz

I thought it would be nice to take a stroll down memory lane and think about how we learned about KSP. I'd make this a Poll but I'm relatively new to both KSP and the forum, so I'm too much of a newbie to figure it out. :( So, how did you hear about KSP??

Personally, I learned about it in a very roundabout way. I didn't hear about if from a friend or watch a Scott Manley video. Instead I read an article online. About Minecraft. :P Specifically about some crazy idiot trying to walk all the way to the Farlands. I thought this was insane so I checked out a video. After watching my first Kurtjmac episode I thought he was a genius and now I look forward to his episodes. After a while I checked out some other games he covered and stumbled upon, you guessed it, KSP. I watched the first video in his series and thought, "Oh I can do MUCH better than that!" and downloaded the demo. In fact I did much worse but I was hooked from the start. After making it to the Mun I downloaded then version .23 and have been addicted ever since. (Jool I have my eyes on you :cool:) I'm even eagerly waiting my 3d printed Jeb figure!! So that's my story, just think that it is interesting that if I didn't click on one little article on Google News I wouldn't even know what this game is.

So whats your story?

I first heard about it (2 years ago I think)

From a old student after we talked about several conversations like including games for this instance.

I remember he dicussed ksp with me and even gave me the ksp website. But having a busy life I discarded/neglected the note I stored on my smartphone and never visited the ksp website.

Until just since 6 months ago I was browsing YouTube. Before really learning about KSP I watched a SpaceX dragon video on YouTube.

And a cartoonish thumbnail of a game took my interest in the suggested videos panel so I gave it a try and watched it.

Pressing that button is why I still play KSP. About the only game I actually still play. That really says something.

Use a time machine, go back into the future 6 months ago. And knock on my door prior to pressing that video button and annoy me with a uninteresting conversation and I might have never pressed it and I wouldn't be here.

Found the thread in Orbiter. "This game is like orbiter.. with TERRAIN?"

Didn't take much to jump right in. Orbiter just released a Beta with terrain so I may jump back to that. Flying around a smooth Earth sphere was getting repetitive.

Kickstarter. I've stopped going there, though. So many wonderful ideas that I'm going to have to wait years for. Just look at how long it's taking this game to progress. This game can be completed in a few hours (career mode) and I'm still waiting months to see anything significant. I'm so very eager to see what this team comes out with next. No rush mind you. I'm simply stating that I love this game so much that waiting is a mental burden. XD

Long ago someone posted a spam post about KSP on completely unrelated forums I was visiting at the moment and I gave it a try. Reached orbit within half an hour and a few crashes and as there was not much more to do I uninstalled it again. That was when KSP was still freeware.

Then, long later, it was mentioned in XKCD comic. I got interested, watched some videos (props to HOCgaming for really educative approach), played with demo for about a week and then bought the game shortly after 0.21 was released.

Jesse Cox made some videos with him playing (and failing) and some other guy trying to explain to him how space works :D

After I saw that, I downloaded the Demo, quickly realised that a) this is awesome and B) the demo was far to limiting for what I wanted to do, and bought the game. That was back in .21

I was into Minecraft, and followed Etho pretty religiously. One time there was a UHC and I went to KurtJMacs channel for his view and noticed this space game video.

Watched it, then bought it immediately.

It didn't take me long to get better than Kurt :)

There was some AmA thread on reddit with guys working on ion propulsion systems for nasa..

Inside the discussion was a lot of comments regarding ksp..

ksp? sounds kinda neato

find demo on steam - download

Demo isnt very good

find pirate copy - download

Damn, for a game that isnt close to finished.. this game is awesome

Purchase game:

800 hours later.. Game still isn't beta, still loving every minute.

OfficialNerdCubed did a Let's Play. Immediately googled it and saw HOCGaming's Channel. Pretty sure it was That's No Moon!. After bingeing KSP Videos from people like Macey (sadly gone for the moment) and HOC I asked for a £20 Steam voucher for Christmas. Downloaded it at 6AM and managed to launch my first space station (Kalyut) into orbit by 12 O'Clock. 150 hours later I'm still loving every second of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.