Russia to end ISS participation in 2020, ban rocket engine export to US

Kryten

Putting aside the ISS, with its successes and failings, as a separate and distinct issue--frankly, I'm getting the impression a lot of people are looking at the RD-180 and can't see the forest for the trees.

The actual Russian space industry, for a decade now, has been supplying a uniquely high-end engine for overwhelmingly American military use. This is not the Soyuz ferrying passengers from all over the world to. Isn't that what Atlas V does? Military satellites and equipment? The Russian space industry was making it possible for the American military to put things into orbit more efficiently.

And now, we've become "OMG RUSSIAN BEAR GONNA TAKE AWAY OUR ENGINES. CURSE YOU, SOVIETS!"

How are we upset about this? :D If anything, I'd congratulate Russians on finally having the tenacity to sacrifice short-term cash infusions for long-term national interests. At face value, it was a stupid decision in the first place, born out of the economic collapse of the immediate post-Soviet era. Is it really a bad thing for the American military to count on its own domestic manufacturers to put up all that expensive equipment? Wouldn't this be a good area for economic independence?

And that's how it sounds before you consider the sanctions side of the issue: with American interests charging that the RD-180 shouldn't be used anyway. This time, American and Russian interests coincided! :D

There's just something hilarious about the military aspect of this, as though the Russians should be content to help American military in space and Americans should be content to pay Russian manufacturers for it. The reality is probably a longtime coming: NPO Energomash will have to downsize and streamline their manufacturing processes, and US manufacturers will have to serious push for a replacement and become more comfortable with the current alternatives.

I say this as a foreign national living in the United States, but at its most literal, this seems like a case of, "Wow, the sane people finally spoke up." A little discomfort builds character.

(Too bad about the ISS, and I hope this doesn't efefct Soyuz launches, but those present their own complicated geopolitical issues.)

Yeah, just realized that's factually what each of them want. US needs to be on it's own support (maybe launching the ICM can be done on Delta IV, seeing it can have the same upper stage with Titan IV). Russia also wants to be on it's own feet, and planned to use the ISS's ROS for the OPSEK station.

Just my concern is, I hope they don't converge further... It'd be clash of same ideology (russia's liberal today literally), just a slightly different interest (and a slight of not-so-warm heritage...)

The Cold War-theme rhetoric is absolutely hilarious--on both sides, but really, on the American side the most. From my own perspective, it comes off as this.

"Yes, we've been helping the Americans militarize space for years! Capitalism strikes again!"

Versus

"That's it, the Cold war is back no now! How dare you not give us OUR engines (that we haven't paid for yet and may not sanction)! You communists WILL pay!"

I don't think it's possible to have a discussion like this without including politics, unfortunately political discussion always leads to arguments and flaming, also this is not science.

Sorry guys, this thread has to come to a close.