The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

Ah, the joys of keeping things to oneself.... :)

Basicly optimised a lot of settings, you might notice some (limited and temporary) decreased functionality in the forums as a result.

Don't smoke before the fat lady sings.

"how likely are we to survive?" "50%" "I like those odds"

-Jeb Kerman talking to Gene kerman

Reminds me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber:

"What are my odds? One in a thousand?"

"More like one in a million"

"So your telling me there's a chance!" :D

(For the record, first (and second) time I tried posting this I got a 502 error, the error monsters are not yet slain)

What's more interesting is that they seem to have skipped the windows 64 bit build. They've been doing win32-win64-linux-mac. Probably just an accident, though. :P

That is expected. There will likely be no "64 bit" standalone release. The win version will simply come with two executables just as the linux build has for a while.

What;s with these 1byte changes. Are they holding back to correct spelling mistakes?

The OSX build update has a +511b difference as opposed to the Linux and PC builds which have -1b. I'm confused and tired and losing my mind looking at build ID's from New Mexico. Help.

Ah, the joys of keeping things to oneself.... :)

Basicly optimised a lot of settings, you might notice some (limited and temporary) decreased functionality in the forums as a result.

Ah gotcha! Was trying to think of ways it could be done without adding HW and that was one of the few things I could think of. Was kind of expecting some sort of secret web code wizardry. Disappointed :P

Seriously though it's nice to have it all up and running smooth again, will try to ease off the F5 key and hope it stays that way.

Edit: Aaaand I jinxed it and 502'd my way through posting

That is expected. There will likely be no "64 bit" standalone release. The win version will simply come with two executables just as the linux build has for a while.

What;s with these 1byte changes. Are they holding back to correct spelling mistakes?

Apparently they discovered some UI scaling issues yesterday, and I guess they are trying to fix them up real quick.

The OSX build update has a +511b difference as opposed to the Linux and PC builds which have -1b. I'm confused and tired and losing my mind looking at build ID's from New Mexico. Help.

My guess is just a difference in the coding needed to make whatever change they made between the different platforms *shrugs*

My guess is just a difference in the coding needed to make whatever change they made between the different platforms *shrugs*

If they're recompiling any code in these updated builds, it's hard to pinpoint exactly how significant the changes are because code compiled down is subject to different compiler optimizations depending on what's changed. While it won't vary that wildly (because compilers do predictable optimizations), we have no idea and can only speculate at what the difference of one byte actually means.

And adding k to every word obviously

Although just looked and it's -1B sooo ummm removing k?

Maybe they found they had added a K to a word that already started with K? 'KKerbin' just looks weird.

If they're recompiling any code in these updated builds, it's hard to pinpoint exactly how significant the changes are because code compiled down is subject to different compiler optimizations depending on what's changed. While it won't vary that wildly (because compilers do predictable optimizations), we have no idea and can only speculate at what the difference of one byte actually means.

it might not mean anything. The "change" could be more than 1byte. it's just the difference of what was there before and what is there now is 1 byte :D

My hypetrain has pulled into station. The engineer and conductor are tired and delirious and can't go any further.

If they're releasing experimentals today, even if they're close to perfect... they still have to test them. Hopefully the testing shows everything is all just about perfect and ready for release... but even in that ideal scenario, it's more likely we'll see the release tomorrow or later in the week. I wouldn't bet on today, and certainly wouldn't give it 50/50 odds. Day is over halfway done as is, especially in terms of work hours.

I don't expect them to magically disappear at a moment's notice - but they should decrease substantially.

Actually - erm, yep, things do seem much more responsive at the moment. If I had to guess I'd say hobbling search functionality is usually an easy win, but whatever secret sauce has been applied seems to be (by and large) keeping things up for now :)

I thought the same, but if 64 bit had been merged with this commit, we'd see a size increase in the normal PC build. Instead we see that one byte change.

The OSX size change is interesting though. Mac specific bug?