The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

Can I ask a wee favour of the mods?

If it's *not* going to be out in the next 24 hours could you say as much?

With they hype ramping up, 50x bad gateway errors hurt the rest of the forums - hurt people not aboard the train but merely browsing Gameplay Questions & Challenges, hurt potential new customers looking for further info before deciding to purchase, hurt media outlets looking to get a feel for the community etc.

Bad gateway messages don't indicate to the rest of the world that your customer base is super-hyped for the next release. That's not a criticism of your infrastructure - scaling forum infrastructure to cope with release blips would be pointlessly funding the extreme outlier. But allowing that degradation to continue for too long can harm both outside impressions and those who aren't fully aboard the train but just want to continue enjoying and exploring their adopted cute green community.

I'm looking into what I can do from my end regarding the 502 errors.

I'm looking into what I can do from my end regarding the 502 errors.

I hate to suggest it, but wouldn't the only real viable solution short of cutting off smaller areas of the forums temporarily or adding servers be to nuke the .24 hype threads? Of course that's not exactly an ideal solution and may raise concern among a small group perhaps, but I can't really think of much else that could be done? Though saying that I was never the admin for a site and never had to deal with that end short of talking with the guy that did.

Edit: Agreed about the hype. I've certainly not seen the forum this hyped in my time here, but it's the stepping stone to the finished build. There's a lot of important stuff that contribute to the end goal in this update, so naturally people are excited. I'm sure there's people here who have been waiting for these features since way back when KSP was free.

Edited by Kerbonautical

I hate to suggest it, but wouldn't the only real viable solution short of cutting off smaller areas of the forums temporarily or adding servers be to nuke the .24 hype threads? Of course that's not exactly an ideal solution and may raise concern among a small group perhaps, but I can't really think of much else that could be done? Though saying that I was never the admin for a site and never had to deal with that end short of talking with the guy that did.

Edit: Agreed about the hype. I've certainly not seen the forum this hyped in my time here, but it's the stepping stone to the finished build. There's a lot of important stuff that contribute to the end goal in this update, so naturally people are excited. I'm sure there's people here who have been waiting for these features since way back when KSP was free.

That's not going to stop people from F5'ing like crazy, which is probably the big issue right now...

Kill this thread, and a dozen more will spawn in its place.

Seriously.

Some more SteamDB updates happening.

That's going to happen quite a bit and still not mean what you want. Your looking for the word "expiramentals in the depot history. If you see one without it, start getting excited.

Can I ask a wee favour of the mods?

If it's *not* going to be out in the next 24 hours could you say as much?

With they hype ramping up, 50x bad gateway errors hurt the rest of the forums - hurt people not aboard the train but merely browsing Gameplay Questions & Challenges, hurt potential new customers looking for further info before deciding to purchase, hurt media outlets looking to get a feel for the community etc.

Bad gateway messages don't indicate to the rest of the world that your customer base is super-hyped for the next release. That's not a criticism of your infrastructure - scaling forum infrastructure to cope with release blips would be pointlessly funding the extreme outlier. But allowing that degradation to continue for too long can harm both outside impressions and those who aren't fully aboard the train but just want to continue enjoying and exploring their adopted cute green community.

I see what you did there :P

That's going to happen quite a bit and still not mean what you want. Your looking for the word "expiramentals in the depot history. If you see one without it, start getting excited.

Well, you can still pull relevant info from those entries. The latest one has a diff of one byte. A single byte. Just one character, roughly. The one before that was just 1.82 KB.

We're close. I'd guess tomorrow.

Kill this thread, and a dozen more will spawn in its place.

Seriously.

True, I was more thinking of a strict .24 nerfing policy to temporarily assist with the strain, but you're right, the internet doesn't take no for an answer. Also as the other guy said it's not going to stop the refreshing either. Genuinely interested now as to what options KasperVLD has at his disposal, it's been a long time since I've thought about website backend stuff and never had to delve into easing server strain. (not that we sucked that bad, just wasn't my role)

I haven't seen a forum this hyped since I went on a Doctor Who forum just before those missing episodes were announced last year, and that's saying something.

Is this one of the most hyped releases, or have I just been missing the hype along the way?

Yes it does seem to be one of the more anticipated releases. I think partially because there is not much bad to focus on. The previous update for example had the media team release videos a relatively long time before release. That rubbed people the wrong way. When the release was then also postponed again, this just got worse. So the hype then just got replaced by a lot of bile. Now people have no bile, just hype.

Yes it does seem to be one of the more anticipated releases. I think partially because there is not much bad to focus on. The previous update for example had the media team release videos a relatively long time before release. That rubbed people the wrong way. When the release was then also postponed again, this just got worse. So the hype then just got replaced by a lot of bile. Now people have no bile, just hype.

What's hyping this release the most for me is official 64 bit support. I want that 64 bit executable so I can run more mods. I had my initial mod list running right up against the ceiling and I want even more mods to play around with.

v.17 was the most hype I have seen; this was perhaps fitting since it added all the planets in.

Really? I would have thought persistence would have been the biggest but I wasn't here at the time.