Interstellar

CaptRobau

I just returned from the cinema and all I can say is......wow.

No, that is not enough to express in how much awe I am. Chris has just proved to us that he is still one of the most talented directors alive.

Honestly, even though I sorta knew the plot from the trailers, I was surprised by how much I wasn't spoiled.

What Chris did was show us that space movies don't need constant booming soundtracks or fancy CGI, OR 180 explosions in 169 minutes(Michael Bay I am looking at you). We don't need Star Wars-like physics to make the movie the least bit entertaining. All we need is a moving plot which will spin your brain on the turntable, great acting and creative ways to place the camera. Everything that could've been done proper was done. The fact is: Chris is a genius. The movie is incredibly fresh and original and I haven't spotted a single cliche. Go see this movie on the biggest screen you can and with the biggest speakers you can to enjoy the fantastic visuals and Hans Zimmer's great soundtrack.

Neat. I wonder how much of the techknowledgical aspects are realistic.

To manage your expectations, keep in mind that a movie's performance gets primarily appraised on how it does in the box office, not on scientific accuracy.

I just returned from the cinema and all I can say is......wow.

No, that is not enough to express in how much awe I am. Chris has just proved to us that he is still one of the most talented directors alive.

Honestly, even though I sorta knew the plot from the trailers, I was surprised by how much I wasn't spoiled.

What Chris did was show us that space movies don't need constant booming soundtracks or fancy CGI, OR 180 explosions in 169 minutes(Michael Bay I am looking at you). We don't need Star Wars-like physics to make the movie the least bit entertaining. All we need is a moving plot which will spin your brain on the turntable, great acting and creative ways to place the camera. Everything that could've been done proper was done. The fact is: Chris is a genius. The movie is incredibly fresh and original and I haven't spotted a single cliche. Go see this movie on the biggest screen you can and with the biggest speakers you can to enjoy the fantastic visuals and Hans Zimmer's great soundtrack.

Exactly, sound effects were awesome as well, for example when they launched a rocket everything was vibrating, i had a feel that i was in that rocket xd + i was in vip seat which is right next to speakers.

I can't imagine how cool it's gonna be in 3d or even 4d!

Definitely gonna rewatch it, i think on monday with my physics professor xd

Edited by Cannon

Exactly, sound effects were awesome as well, for example when they launched a rocket everything was vibrating, i had a feel that i was in that rocket xd + i was in vip seat which is right next to speakers.

I can't imagine how cool it's gonna be in 3d or even 4d!

Definitely gonna rewatch it, i think on monday with my physics professor xd

Haha I went with my friends and we are going to rewatch it again next week.

I loved how they used the speakers to create so many vibrations. I pre-ordered my tickets so I had a spot in the very center in the 8th row. Best of all, it's amazing that much of the ships wasn't even CGI, it was just models. And that gave them a very natural look.

The movie is incredibly fresh and original and I haven't spotted a single cliche.

There was one that irked me but it's more than forgivable for everything else this movie had going for it. And even the cliche was handled in a way I never saw before. (I won't say what it is until the sparks have had time to die out and we start talking without risk of spoiling it for others)

If anyone is still having doubts, don't. Just go. I am incredibly nitpicky about sci-fi movies, after how much action and steamy drama we've had forced down our throats in recent years that just pretends to be sci-fi. Interstellar is NOT one of those movies. It stayed interesting the entire time, even though it left ample time for introspection and reflection between the intense scenes. And I don't just mean for the crew, but for the audience. I haven't been this pleased with a old-fashioned semi-realistic space adventure since 2001: A Space Odyssey.

An hour later my brain was still running at 200% trying to analyze everything that happened. It's been forever since a movie has been able to do that for me.

Are there some science mistakes in it? Sure. But they're nowhere near as obviously chalkboard-scratching as what Hollywood usually gives us. Don't even worry about them. Just enjoy it. The things this film got wrong are far and few between. Everything it got right is jaw-dropping. And major kudos to Nolan for not just creating entertainment, but also trying to give humanity a wake-up-call. The film kept on saying what us Kerbs are typically trying to tell everyone we meet. Our future is OUT THERE.

To those of you who went, what were the theaters like? Mine was only 1/3rd full at best, but it was also a 4:30 screening. I hope that just means lots of folks were still at work. It'll be tragic if this doesn't get some good numbers. I'm even mildly concerned that the loss of Spaceship Two might have taken some of the wind out of the sails for this movie.

Edited by vger

It presents liberalism as a black man telling the main protagonist that his children had to be share croppers, and a woman feminist school teacher telling him that science and technology wasn't needed. The protagonists wife was killed by Obama care. The movie stands as a stunning indictment of liberalism, with old fashioned self sufficiency and family vales saving the day.

The movie takes apart liberal/progressive politics so of course Phil Plait hated it...

Greg, I don't think you need politics to figure out that wants become trivial when basic needs cannot be met. And if you want to put a label on it, the kind of system being hinted at was neither conservative nor liberal. It was a form of communism, built out of necessity to ensure humanity's survival. Nothing to do with politics. It's simple logic. Everyone can't be a painter if nobody has anything to eat.

Saw it in Imax today. It's a good watch, no massive bugging physics things like in Gravity. The end of it plays with the idea of "what is in the centre of a black hole" and, because nobody really knows, I am not going to judge what it shows (I'm purposefully being vague so as to avoid spoilers).

You can really see a lot of 2001 in it (there is even a wee reference to it in the film), but it doesn't quite hit that spot that makes a movie great like 2001 did.

Saw it in Imax today. It's a good watch, no massive bugging physics things like in Gravity. The end of it plays with the idea of "what is in the centre of a black hole" and, because nobody really knows, I am not going to judge what it shows (I'm purposefully being vague so as to avoid spoilers).

You can really see a lot of 2001 in it (there is even a wee reference to it in the film), but it doesn't quite hit that spot that makes a movie great like 2001 did.

Pretty much agree. It's not "perfect", but I liked it a lot, and it didn't let me down. Though there are some moments where the pace really slows down, only to pick right back up again soon. It's a bit of a roller-coaster that way. Some great acting, and some very emotional moments, and plenty of "space action". You can definitely see the 2001 influence in it.

The only real complaint I had, involved the audio (which I didn't expect, seeing it in IMAX). It's a Nolan movie, so you should expect it to be loud, and have the artistic choice to have the music crank up and overwhelm you at times. This was fine I thought. No, the problem was this single-frequency droning rumble, as if they were equipped with crappy subwoofers that only know how to produce one pitch. It was only in a few scenes, but it drowned out both the dialog AND the music. So I don't know if something just wasn't configured quite right, or if they were compensating for the shortcomings of normal theaters and the IMAX sound system just brought it out to the front, or what.

The first scene that did this, was right near the start of the movie, with Cooper talking to his daughter in their house. Maybe someone else who's seen it, can verify if this was just all rumbling at their IMAX theater.

Pretty much agree. It's not "perfect", but I liked it a lot, and it didn't let me down. Though there are some moments where the pace really slows down, only to pick right back up again soon. It's a bit of a roller-coaster that way. Some great acting, and some very emotional moments, and plenty of "space action". You can definitely see the 2001 influence in it.

The only real complaint I had, involved the audio (which I didn't expect, seeing it in IMAX). It's a Nolan movie, so you should expect it to be loud, and have the artistic choice to have the music crank up and overwhelm you at times. This was fine I thought. No, the problem was this single-frequency droning rumble, as if they were equipped with crappy subwoofers that only know how to produce one pitch. It was only in a few scenes, but it drowned out both the dialog AND the music. So I don't know if something just wasn't configured quite right, or if they were compensating for the shortcomings of normal theaters and the IMAX sound system just brought it out to the front, or what.

The first scene that did this, was right near the start of the movie, with Cooper talking to his daughter in their house. Maybe someone else who's seen it, can verify if this was just all rumbling at their IMAX theater.

I noticed the same thing, though I wasn't watching at an IMAX theatre.

I found the storyline was pretty good, and fits into the science-fiction genre very well. The acting and the visual effects were great, and the KSP player in me loved every outside view of Endurance and its shuttles (especially the docking sequences).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.