[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

On 12/19/2016 at 10:14 AM, DMagic said:

@tsaven I didn't know that Silicates was an MKS resource (it used to be KSP Interstellar), I'll have to add it to the MM configs for the resource scanner.

For the scan on Minmus, "No Data" means that a scan for that resource hasn't been completed for that area. Those resources should all be covered when using the Narrow Band scanner, and all resources, regardless of what MM configs are present will be covered by the M700 scanner.

I'm sorry to dig up old news, but I'm using ScanSAT 18.4 on KSP 1.3.1 and I'm still having this problems with Silicates not showing up on ScanSAT for any planetary bodies.  Do you recall if this bug was fixed before or after 18.4?

RUqEEyf.png

Edited by tsaven
Added screenshot

I have seen the tables in the "Best Orbits" link...but they are way above my head. I'm not sure what all the info in the tables is telling me? I'm mostly looking for the best orbit for Biome scanning of various bodies with the multi scanner...can someone help me figure out the tables?

Does scansat "keep" the information it has found after scanning a celestial body ( in the tracking center for example) for future use, or does the scanner have to remain in orbit over that body? I would like to send a scanning satellite out and have it scan the body and then leave to another body (a "moon" of the original, perhaps) and launch my exploration lander to the original body later. Will the information (say, a biome or resource map) still be available if I have moved the scanner elsewhere?

I'm guessing this won't work as, how will the scanner "know" what biome my lander is over on the created biome map if the scanner has moved to a different body?

But I thought it best to ask.

@Victor3 I have no idea about the Best Orbits, they are probably out of date anyway. There are instructions on how to find a good enough orbit in the KSPedia entry.

Scanning data is saved along with your save file, it doesn't care about what scanners are where, or whether they are active or not. Once an area is scanned then it stays that way. When in doubt, just try something and see what happens.

11 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Victor3 I have no idea about the Best Orbits, they are probably out of date anyway. There are instructions on how to find a good enough orbit in the KSPedia entry.

Scanning data is saved along with your save file, it doesn't care about what scanners are where, or whether they are active or not. Once an area is scanned then it stays that way. When in doubt, just try something and see what happens.

The reason I asked about "saved" scans is I have been unable to find them? I put a scanner in high polar orbit around Duna and did a 100% Biome scan with the Multi scanner. I then moved it to Ike to scan and launched exploration ships at Duna. When I got there, there was no scanned Biome info I could find? I could not open an overlay in the Tracking Station or find any way to show the Biome map I had scanned previously to aid in landing on the different biomes. Maybe I just don't know how? (would not be the first time, by far! LOL).

19 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

I could not open an overlay in the Tracking Station or find any way to show the Biome map I had scanned previously to aid in landing on the different biomes. Maybe I just don't know how? (would not be the first time, by far! LOL).

While at the KSC, you can click the ScanSat icon to open the ScanSat map view. There are 4 buttons at the top: Projection, Map Type, Resource and Celestial Body. If you click them, a drop down menu will open. Choose 'Duna' as celestial body and 'Biome' as map typ. This should show you the map in the ScanSat window.

To activate the overlay for the celestial body, you need to be in flight (at least, I don't know any other way). In flight, the ScanSat icon is a different one and you will get several option as soon as you click it. One of them is to activate the overlays (it is the one which shows a planet with one half colored purple). This will open a new window with a list of different overlay types. Click on 'biome Map' and every celestial body which got scanned, will get the biome overlay. You may have to activate 'draw overlay' at the top of the window, but it should be active by default.

SOOooo...I am apparently way more ignorant than I thought. When I do as 4X4 stated, I get no map at KSC? I'm guessing I screwed up the saving of the scanned biome map. So, once I have a complete scan of a celestial body...how do I save that so it is available from KSC or in flight around the body in question?

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste"

23 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

SOOooo...I am apparently way more ignorant than I thought. When I do as 4X4 stated, I get no map at KSC? I'm guessing I screwed up the saving of the scanned biome map. So, once I have a complete scan of a celestial body...how do I save that so it is available from KSC or in flight around the body in question?

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste"

You don't have to save the map, this should happen automatically but it seems to be bugged for you. Please do the following:

1) Reinstall the mod, be sure to grab the correct version. Delete ModuleManager.ConfigCache, .ConfigSHA, .Physics and .TechTree
2) Create a new sandbox game, build a simple scan sat with the multi scanner and use the debug menu to put it in an orbit around a body of your choice. Perform a scan an try to open the map at the KSC like described above.
3) If it works now, try it in your regular game again.
4) If it doesn't work: upload your log file and ping DMagic ;)

@Victor3 Maybe screenshots of what you are seeing would help. As 4x4 said, there is no saving to be done, once you scan an area with a SCANsat part it is scanned.

You just have to open the map and select the right map. You might have to switch the map to the right planet/moon and/or to the right type (altimetry, slope, biome).

In flight you can open either the big map (with all of its options to show each planet and map type), the small, fixed size map (which will only show the planet you are currently orbiting), and the zoom map (you can use the little vessel button in the top-left corner to center that map on your current position).

In flight you can also use the map overlay window to draw the maps directly over the planet surface (this may not be visible in the regular flight view if you are too close to the planet, switch to map view to always be able to see it).

So the M4435 narrow band scanner through ScanSAT will generate a permanent more accurate scan map, where as through stock it only provides a temporary map of its current overhead position?

Do I have to "disable all stock scanning" in settings for this to be possible, or is it always possible by using the ScanSAT maps and putting it in a polar orbit at the correct altitude and letting it scan for several days? Also I know I have to do the general scan with the M700 first as well.

I have biome lock off, and insta scanning off, but I have "need narrow band scanning" on and I have NOT disabled stock scanning....yet.

I was unclear if I had to....after reading the wiki and FAQ.

The Wiki and FAQ listed that the narrow band scanner through scansat can provide a persistent higher accuracy resource map, but it was unclear on exactly what settings were required to make that happen. (In my opinion....as I am still confused)

I also have absolutely no idea what the "been there done that" thing is for at all.....it's not even mentioned really....

On 7/19/2018 at 4:58 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

You don't have to save the map, this should happen automatically but it seems to be bugged for you. Please do the following:

1) Reinstall the mod, be sure to grab the correct version. Delete ModuleManager.ConfigCache, .ConfigSHA, .Physics and .TechTree

Will these files (in blue) not have to be reinstalled, at some point?

25 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

Will these files (in blue) not have to be reinstalled, at some point?

Don't worry, Module Manager will recreate these files automatically on the next start of KSP :)

These files, especially the ConfigCache, contains all the MM patches so MM does not have to collect all the informations across your GameData directory at each launch. It is possible, that something went wrong during the creation of the Cache and by deleting it, you force MM to create a new one which is hopefully working correctly.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, DMagic said:

@Victor3 Maybe screenshots of what you are seeing would help. As 4x4 said, there is no saving to be done, once you scan an area with a SCANsat part it is scanned.

You just have to open the map and select the right map. You might have to switch the map to the right planet/moon and/or to the right type (altimetry, slope, biome).

In flight you can open either the big map (with all of its options to show each planet and map type), the small, fixed size map (which will only show the planet you are currently orbiting), and the zoom map (you can use the little vessel button in the top-left corner to center that map on your current position).

In flight you can also use the map overlay window to draw the maps directly over the planet surface (this may not be visible in the regular flight view if you are too close to the planet, switch to map view to always be able to see it).

15 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Don't worry, Module Manager will recreate these files automatically on the next start of KSP :)

These files, especially the ConfigCache, contains all the MM patches so MM does not have to collect all the informations across your GameData directory at each launch. It is possible, that something went wrong during the creation of the Cache and by deleting it, you force MM to create a new one which is hopefully working correctly.

I am out of town for the next 2 weeks. When I get back I'll do as suggested and get back with ya.

Thank you much!!

SCANsat version 18.7 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It is updated for KSP 1.4.5 but should work fine on other 1.4.x versions.

It fixes the problem with lat/long coordinate displays and includes Russian translations of the contract text by RarogCmex.

@tsaven I think that was supposed to be fixed by version 18.0. Are you using MKS by itself or with KSP Interstellar?

You can check the SCANsat files to make sure they have the right values.

In GameData/SCANsat/Resources/SCANresource.cfg the last entry should be for Silicates:

SCANSAT_SENSOR
{
	name = Silicates
	SCANtype = 268435456 //2^28
}

and in GameData/SCANsat/MM_Parts/SCANsat_Resource_Scanner.cfg look for the tags for @PART[OrbitalScanner], that's the Narrow Band Scanner. It should have the patch to adjust the resource scanner module:

@MODULE[ModuleSCANresourceScanner]
	{
    	@sensorType += 301048960
    	@scanName = Resource Scan
	}

That sensor type is for all MKS resource; it includes the Silicates type and was added in version 17.something.

It should also have the SCANresourceDisplay module for Silicates, but that seems to be there since it shows up in your right-click menu.

1 minute ago, KerbolExplorer said:

I only see the settings.cfg file.And did pressed the export botton

Odd...I just tried it on my own and it works fine...Do you get an ingame notification as soon as you press the export button? Some yellow text saying 'map saved in location ...' right in the middle of the screen?