How do you cook your meat?

MedwedianPresident

I am asking here whether you prefer to eat steak medium and pink on the inside or whether you like it more well-done. Here, you basically say to what extent you like to grill red meat such as steak. You also can say which beverages you like.

I personally prefer the flavour of lightly grilled - that is, 'medium rare' flesh, especially the lean and tender cuts because they are easier to cut and to chew - having fat on a steak typically prevents me from chewing the meat quickly and in the proper way. That is, I like my meat tender.

When it comes to side dishes, I like any form of potatoes, but my favourite is Croquettes - basically small pieces of puree put into a pill made out of bread (like the crust of a schnitzel) that are up to 5 centimetres long.

Top Tip: I once read that cooking your meat with rosemary would destroy any cancer causing substances. Good meat from happy animals on farms who have lots of space and get to graze every day probably doesn't have them, but you should still do it because it may add an additional flavour note to the meat as the juice from the herb is soaked into the muscle tissue.

Edited by MedwedianPresident

I eat it well done and can't understand the desire for eating raw meat. Not only it's a sanitary hazard, but it's disgusting, too. You can prepare it well done without it being like a piece of rubber and having toxic crust.

Hear hear!

Steak is always medium rare, grilled or pan-fried in butter. I also like pork chops. I coat them in olive oil, rosemary, and garlic, let them steep overnight, then grill them to medium/medium-well. (And before anyone brings it up, the only sanitary reason to cook pork to well done is to kill Trichinella spiralis, the parasite that causes trichinosis. However, swine herds in the United States are tested and treated to prevent Trichinella infections, and it is against USDA regulations to bring Trichinella-infected hogs to market. So the odds of contracting trichinosis from undercooked commercial pork in this country are incredibly small. You stand a better chance of winning the lottery.) Grilling is a favorite pastime of mine, always charcoal. I also smoke a lot of meats: ribs, pork shoulder, chicken, even whole turkeys.

Sides vary. My favorites are green beans sauteed with bacon and sliced new potatoes pan-fried in butter. Asparagus wrapped in bacon and grilled is also a perennial favorite.

And while it may sound like I'm dying young of heart disease, I don't eat like this every day. Most days it's something healthy that my wife cooks. This is more the weekend/holiday fare. Or when my wife is out of town. :cool:

Medium-rare, all the way. Grew up on well-done steaks due to over-protective parents, but can't really go back.

Not that I eat meat very often anyway, but that's definitely what I prefer.

Chicken and pork....cooked through.

Beef - medium rare unless the cut of meat requires special treatment.

Seafood - case by case basis unless it is sushi.

bacon - crunchy

I have a smoker and I put it to good use on pork, chicken, and even beef.

I brew beer and enjoy stouts and ales.

Beef I have medium rare to medium.

Pork I like it medium (yes, modern pork IS safe to eat below well done)

Chicken and seafood is fully done all the time though I tend to avoid whole chicken (it doesn't finish evenly)

steak: grilled, rare

halibut: beer battered and deep fried

dolly: pan fried in olive oil

salmon: grilled

crab: boiled in sea water

pork ribs: baked 6 hours, sauced, then grilled 6 minutes

beef ribs: crock pot

deer: in a pot of chili

moose: in tacos

grouse: roast over a camp fire

chicken: infinite possibilities, all tasty

pork chops: grilled, sauced

spam: on a spamwich

I am one of those weird ones. I was brought up in the woods, learned how to eat things raw. For me, red meat, be it game or beef, is most desireable when merely seared on the outside over an open flame. I have on occasion eaten some quality beef completely raw because it is good if well seasoned.

I remember an occasion from my days in the military service. We were on a two week training in the forest and it was cold. How cold? Finland cold. -30c was the average temperature during those weeks. We were hauling our tents in the snow and rarely did the supply lines work as intended. So I took the liberty of shooting an european roe deer, propably not a legal thing to do there, but who really cared. Back then atleast we used to have live ammunition with us. I do not believe that is the case with the basic training trips these days.

Now... the problem was, along with the food supplies we did not get, neither did we get any firewood. (You may say, but you are in a forest, why not chop down a tree? That is not how it works, you can not burn fresh wood.) And the time schedules were rather strict so there was not really time to be fancy. I ended up simply gutting the animal and picking the best bits into a small plastic bag for later use when I could cook them in the metallic thing used to eat in the forest:

16589a.jpg

I naturally could not just take all of the meat with me, so I ate directly from the animal till I was full. I ended up messing my white winter camouflage bright red (turned brown later) and earned the rank of the maniac. Silly citydwellers.

I am one of those weird ones. I was brought up in the woods, learned how to eat things raw. For me, red meat, be it game or beef, is most desireable when merely seared on the outside over an open flame. I have on occasion eaten some quality beef completely raw because it is good if well seasoned.

I remember an occasion from my days in the military service. We were on a two week training in the forest and it was cold. How cold? Finland cold. -30c was the average temperature during those weeks. We were hauling our tents in the snow and rarely did the supply lines work as intended. So I took the liberty of shooting an european roe deer, propably not a legal thing to do there, but who really cared. Back then atleast we used to have live ammunition with us. I do not believe that is the case with the basic training trips these days.

Now... the problem was, along with the food supplies we did not get, neither did we get any firewood. (You may say, but you are in a forest, why not chop down a tree? That is not how it works, you can not burn fresh wood.) And the time schedules were rather strict so there was not really time to be fancy. I ended up simply gutting the animal and picking the best bits into a small plastic bag for later use when I could cook them in the metallic thing used to eat in the forest:

http://www.varusteleka.fi/pictures/16589a.jpg

I naturally could not just take all of the meat with me, so I ate directly from the animal till I was full. I ended up messing my white winter camouflage bright red (turned brown later) and earned the rank of the maniac. Silly citydwellers.

Wow, props to you. That sounds quite harsh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.