What do you think kerbals do in their free time?

Highlad

Hey, let's be fair to the pink guys, we have sent probes freaking everywhere. One way of course. Because we are secretly Kerbals deep down and don't want to admit it.

I've always figured Kerbals just love space so much they suck up the tedium of sitting in a pod. That said, I try my best to either make the mission short or give them company and plenty of living space. My recently completed "Sun Mission" had a whole Hitchhiker container for one Kerbal, and my motherships always have both private quarters (lander cans) and common areas.

Either that or they experience time dilation whenever the man upstairs turns on timewarp.

Ive always thought about what kerbals do on those long jool transfers or on extended space station missions... I would say they play pool but I dont think it would work in 0Gs...

Any thoughts?

My kerbals have no free time. To begin with, most of them are pressganged bums with no marketable skills, so once they wake up from the belaying pin upside the head, they have to spend fair amount of time watching instructional videos on how to put on their spacesuit, do their jobs, etc. Measures are taken to ensure they pay attention, combined with chemical therapy to make them more subservient, motivated to face horrific dangers, and actually absorb the knowledge permanently :)

a-clockwork-orange-movie-quotes.jpg

You can never have enough training so lessons are repeated regularly, mixed in with new material as mission objectives change. Further more, the same "Happy Video Appreciation Recliner" doubles as a remote-controlled surgical system. This is so the medical boffins back on Kerbin can repeatedly probe, dissect, reassemble, and add cyborg parts to the Kerbal for routine monitoring of his physical condition during the long voyage, to verify the effectiveness of the chemical therapy, and to enable him to survive the environments he's sent to.

In between all this, of course, the Kerbal has to do the work he was sent to do. All in all, there's never a moment's rest on the long haul to Jool and back :).

They design the death trap the next guy will be riding in!!

Exactly. They wear hard hats and walk around with clipboards. Then they duct tape rockets together.

Thankfully we'll never know what pauldbk99 thinks Kerbals do in their free time, oh and pauldbk99, keep it clean yeah?

LOL

Free time?! Not in my space program! Its non-stop balls to the wall from the moment you get accepted till the moment we scrape you off the pavement. Thats how its always been since Grandpa Kerman lit his first firecracker inside his momma's gas oven and thats how we liked it! Ain't no lazy kerbals gonna lay around photosynthesizing all day on my watch!!!!!

They do BBQ on a mainsail.

No, its the poodle they use, it explains this in its part description

What do they do? When they aren't flying rockets, they're building them; that's where the engineers come from.

They also eat. A lot.

They also drink liquid fuel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.