[0.90] Orbital Material Science version 0.6

N3h3mia

A minor bug with CKAN.

Nehemiah Science Common is not listed as a dependency for Orbital Material Science

This results in CKAN freaking out and not installing OMS because it is trying to overwrite files from your other mods.

I planed to look into CKAN this weekend.

A minor bug with CKAN.

Nehemiah Science Common is not listed as a dependency for Orbital Material Science

This results in CKAN freaking out and not installing OMS because it is trying to overwrite files from your other mods.

The CKAN meta data should be fixed soon. The bot needs do push the new files to the repository.

Hello, the ESC series of science containers seem to cause consistent physics stuttering, something along the line of a ~0.7s block every ~1.5s. The more of the containers, the longer the stutter. It makes the game unplayable. I tested by just placing a single ESC 4 container on the pad loaded with various experiments: Lags slightly every ~1.5s. A fully loaded rocket with all possible science payload increases this to a total block every ~1.5s approx. I'm using a lot of other mods but given that I haven't even left the pad, they (FAR and DRE) should not affect the physics calculation that badly.

Hello, the ESC series of science containers seem to cause consistent physics stuttering, something along the line of a ~0.7s block every ~1.5s. The more of the containers, the longer the stutter. It makes the game unplayable. I tested by just placing a single ESC 4 container on the pad loaded with various experiments: Lags slightly every ~1.5s. A fully loaded rocket with all possible science payload increases this to a total block every ~1.5s approx. I'm using a lot of other mods but given that I haven't even left the pad, they (FAR and DRE) should not affect the physics calculation that badly.

I did not see numbers that bad in testing, but I guess there is room for optimization. I'll try to get a look into this as soon as I find some time.

N3h3miah: If I downloaded the separate parts do I still need orbital science 0.6?

Yes there are updates in orbital material science (OMS) 0.6 that are not in any of the other downloads. The other downloads contain there own specific things and the parts used by several mods, but the OMS specific files are only in the OMS download.

Hmm, I installed OMS 0.6 and 'all in one parts' 1.1 but I see no parts in my game?

Then you have the NehemiahInc folder and the ModuleManager.dll in you GameData folder? If yes, have a look in your log file, there you can see all the files loaded and errors during loading the configs.

BTW: OMS 0.6 is part of the NehemiahEngineeringResearchProgram.zip you only need the later. Otherwise it will overwrite the OMS files with identical copies, no harm in this but no profit either.

Then you have the NehemiahInc folder and the ModuleManager.dll in you GameData folder? If yes, have a look in your log file, there you can see all the files loaded and errors during loading the configs.

BTW: OMS 0.6 is part of the NehemiahEngineeringResearchProgram.zip you only need the later. Otherwise it will overwrite the OMS files with identical copies, no harm in this but no profit either.

I'll check (but not before the weekend.)

I released an update that improves the performance, this should fix this.

A minor bug with CKAN.

Hmm, maybe you fixed this for .60

But now with OMS .61 CKAN is again freaking out cause "Nehemiah Science Common" is not installed, so it cant continue installation.

PLEASE either stop interlinking your mods, so I can install just one or two of them, or get rid of all these little interlinking mods and just make an all-in-one.

- - - Updated - - -

Another note....

I got a contract to do and experiment... "MH3 ...something. Ok, so I go to my VAB and start building a ship to do the mission.....

Hmm, I cant fine "MH3____" in my science parts in VAB...... I eventually figured it was a bug, I had not unlocked the part (Dooh!)

And scrapped that mission and worked on another contract.

I now realize (From seeing your video on the OP) that it was a Command Pod Experiment.

IF POSSIBLE, include in the contract a note, message or something IDing where the experiment is taking place. (CP, MSL with CIR, MPL-600 with MSG, MSL with 3PR etc)

[its possible this info was in the contract and I missed it, if so then please disreguard, it was a long day slaving over hot SRBs]

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. When I try to install "Nehemiah Science Common" with CKAN it says oh no its trying to overwrite OMS, Not gonna do it....

Hmm, maybe you fixed this for .60

But now with OMS .61 CKAN is again freaking out cause "Nehemiah Science Common" is not installed, so it cant continue installation.

PLEASE either stop interlinking your mods, so I can install just one or two of them, or get rid of all these little interlinking mods and just make an all-in-one.

- - - Updated - - -

Another note....

I got a contract to do and experiment... "MH3 ...something. Ok, so I go to my VAB and start building a ship to do the mission.....

Hmm, I cant fine "MH3____" in my science parts in VAB...... I eventually figured it was a bug, I had not unlocked the part (Dooh!)

And scrapped that mission and worked on another contract.

I now realize (From seeing your video on the OP) that it was a Command Pod Experiment.

IF POSSIBLE, include in the contract a note, message or something IDing where the experiment is taking place. (CP, MSL with CIR, MPL-600 with MSG, MSL with 3PR etc)

[its possible this info was in the contract and I missed it, if so then please disreguard, it was a long day slaving over hot SRBs]

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. When I try to install "Nehemiah Science Common" with CKAN it says oh no its trying to overwrite OMS, Not gonna do it...

I just tried installing the mod with CKAN and it worked perfectly. All I do is defining the dependencies and what to download and which folder should be copied. Then the NetKan-bot picks up the update's from Kerbalstuff automatically. CKAN normally resolves dependencies automatically so the missing "Nehemiah Science Common" should be installed with OMS.

Your contract probably said Run experiment Kemini MSC3: ..... The Kemini research program uses the Command pod. I guessed that naming the research program would be sufficient. I can add an additional note on what equipment is needed. I can't promise when I'm going to do that. Because I planned the rework and expand the contract system for the next release. But right now I'm busy with RL.

Ok I did some checking.... Origionaly I just had 2 of your mods installed. (probably OMS and KEES)

At some time in the recent past when your mods were first conflicting in CKAN when upgrading, I downloaded and manually installed your ALL-In-One pack...

But it looks like CKAN Only sees OMS installed.

I will delete the folders and try again through CKAN

Hi. I was also having trouble installing the latest update through CKAN. Managed to fix it by totally uninstalling the mod and then reinstalling through CKAN - I think the problem is because CKAN only tries to install dependecies when add the mod for the first time, so adding a dependence to an already installed mod through an update confuses it?

Really appreciate your mods though btw :)

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm having trouble editing the containers. I click the button in the VAB to add experiments to the storage and it does nothing. It worked fine last night, but now it's broke. Anyone know what's wrong?

I guess you tried restarting KSP. Does the debug console show anything?

Awesome set of mods. Figured you wouldn't mind some positive feedback going to two locations :)

Keep up the great work!

Not at all. After all the hours I put in the mods it does feels good. As a mod developer I practically live on a positive feedback. ... Wait as student I do too. :)

Thanks you

I just finished a save with OMS but am not going to use it on my next. Two things..

(1) Too much clicking. For instance doing the prep, then exposure, then ending things, then storing samples, then moving back to storage, then finalizing ... its too much fiddling with menus.

(2) Far too much science. I did a series with a fully equiped MSL-1000 low around Mun and came back with 4000+ science. Granted I'm playing in 64k and getting that lab to mun wasn't easy, but OMS can max out any tech tree in only a handful of missions, without ever leaving kerbin/mun/minmus.

• 3 weeks later...
I... but OMS can max out any tech tree in only a handful of missions, without ever leaving kerbin/mun/minmus.
Scott Manley has a video where he maxes out the tech tree just using Mun and Minmus using only stock parts. Accomplishes it in about three missions.

On another note, N3h3mia, with KAS becoming deprecated, will you update this to make KEES experiments KIS compatible? I've already made the PEC and Transport Carrier KIS compatible. However, the Carrier requires KASModulePartBay, for which there is no KIS equivalent yet (I've asked the KIS modder about this). Using KIS, when I place the experiment on the carrier, the KEES mod does not recognize that the experiment is placed.

Be advised, I have removed the KAS references from the carrier, PEC, and experiment part.cfg files.

Hi, I came upon a weird bug yesterday. When moving craft with loaded OEC-1 carriers to the launch pad from the VAB it would put the craft in a weird orbit around Kerbin. However the game would not progress so it would have been eternal weird posisitoning. The game did not crash however and I could go back to the space center and the VAB and unload the OEC-1. When empty the craft would go to the launch pad normally. Also saving loaded OEC-1 would work, but when I loaded the craft it would put the VAB menues in disarray, putting all parts in one folder and no possibility to load subassemblies. I have not checked with other OEC except the mark 1.

The Nehemia Engineering Research Program is one of my favorite mods. I really like having a set of parts, experiments, and contracts that I can use to build up a lot of science fairly early on. Stock KSP's tech tree bears more similarity to where humanity is now than any truly interplanetary future we (or the Kerbals) have, and the NERP parts really fit in well with that setting. To that end, I feel it's reasonable the NERP mods allow players to unlock the whole tech tree at default settings.

While I understand where Sandworm is coming from with the concerns about clearing through the tech tree fairly quickly, the ability to scale down the science rewards seems like it would address that concern.

I don't really understand the complaint about excessive fiddling with menus, but my perspective may be skewed due to the sheer number of mods I use.

Hi, I checked some more and apparently it is NOT the carrier (the ESC, what I wrongly called OEC) but the loaded experiment which causes issues. I checked with different carriers, the 1.25 and the 2.5 m variants and when loaded with experiments destined for the MPL-600 they show the behaviour mentioned above. Loaded with other experiments (e.g. the MEE-1) they can be used normally.

I read back a bit and browsed the first page but I didn't see, is this mod compatible with 1.0, or are we still waiting on an update? Sorry if I missed the info somewhere. Love this mod, and can't wait to get it back in my game.

I read back a bit and browsed the first page but I didn't see, is this mod compatible with 1.0, or are we still waiting on an update? Sorry if I missed the info somewhere. Love this mod, and can't wait to get it back in my game.

Well I'm not sure but I think this is sort of an expansion pack to Station Science. Since the author of Station Science is busy atm and will take some time to update his mod to 1.0, I think it may happen the same to Orbital Material Science.

Just give it some time, I'm sure N3h3mia will update it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.