Large Spaces for the Crew in a Space Station.

I am upgrading my "sky lab" to a space station. I want a "living area". There is the Hitchhicker module just seems too small for my Kerbals to spend a year in orbit. I don't think there is a "Space station exercise and work area" module?

Unfortunately, the Hitchhiker can is the only stock habitation module. I just use my imagination for the time being. I'm sure at some point either Squad or some addon maker will make an awesome habitat module, with neat things to do or look at inside.

you could roleplay it: attach an empty Jumbo tank or two, and consider them living space. ship them up full of fuel and call it a wet workshop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_workshop)

you could use mods, i think there is an inflatable habitation part in one of the mods.

you could just add more hitchhikers: my current mothership that i'm building has 5 hitchhikers, 2 science labs, and a mk2 lander can, and will probably only carry a crew of 8-12. my Duna mission went with a crew of 4, but had space for 9.

I usually have it so if the kerbals are there long term, they a hitchhiker module to themselves, so they've got extra space for their stuff. Or you could give them an extra lab module and say this one is them to hang out in instead.

There's LOADS of station part mods but none with a fun IVA as far as I know.

I am fond of the stocklike parts in this pack - others only have placeholder textures and none have IVAs, but still. :)

It also has some other station parts, e.g. a 2.5m "central station cube connector thing" ... or something of similar name ... :wink:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/34664-Large-Structural-Station-Components-20-Compatible-Release-Thread

I like to use the thicker adapter modules for some added habitat space. The Rockomax Brand Adapter looks like it could easily house four slots for kerbals to sleep in, and fits snugly with the Hitchhiker. Not everything has to be detailed for us to find more to use out of it.

I can't even dock i keep hiting and bouncing off.

Help me

This thread in the Tutorials section of the forum has some links to docking tutorials, among others. First, though: do both vessels have Clampotron docking ports? Are the docking ports the parts hitting each other? Are you perhaps coming in too fast? Those are the most basic points on docking.

On the main topic, the Hitchhiker module is the only real habitation part in the stock game at this time, though mods provide many, many alternatives. Otherwise, there's only the command pods and science lab.

I agree that it would be a good thing to have additional habitation modules

(just look how spacious the ISS is [with many entertainment possibilities and the astronauts not being confined to be strapped to chairs at the walls])

At the moment I, just as others already mentioned, also use my imagination and several coupled Hitchhikers to rationalize, that this space contains several different areas for the astronauts ...

but I have to admit that the Habitats in the packs that are linked in this thread look good ... [and in case of the Habitat Pack 0.4 partially are based on real proposals for inflatable space habitats [like the Trans-Hab]])

While I too provide additional living-space for long-term missions we should all look at the current provisions made by the world's navies. Probably the most appropriate examples are nuclear submarines which may stay submerged (~in space?) for many months. They are, as most people are aware, notoriously cramped and submariners are definitely a special breed because of it but they do demonstrate that a great amount of space is not required. Obviously each person needs a 'duty station', which in KSP would be the seat they're assigned to in a command pod/lander can. A similar amount of space would be required for sleeping, but you can use 'hot bunking', assuming the crews are standing multiple watches. Finally, there have to be circulation and relaxation spaces connected those (ie; corridors, messes, kitchen, hygiene). As a rule of thumb, then, 2 - 3 'locations' are required per crewmember.

You should also bear in mind that in sea-vessels, and to a lesser extent space-vehicles, large spaces are anathema because they mean there is more room for equipment - and crew! - to be thrown around during manoeuvres or accidents, causing greater damage. At its simplest that means everywhere needs to be within reach of a secure handhold.

There have been several threads on similar subjects before and, of course, all of this assumes Kerbal phsiology/pshycology is more or less the same as humans.

For extended stay missions, I tend to use the guideline of a single Hitchhiker can per kerbal, or approximatily a 4::1 ratio of availible space to used space. I treat a pair of hitchhiker cans like an apartment layout, two kerbals sleeping in one, and the other is fully empty for living/exercise. I'll even use the structural fusealage as a walkway to connect them, so that the entire space can be connected internally.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.