[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Hi SSGFouts31,

you are meaning this issue?

https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/136

I tried to reproduce this issue but no one answered to my post.

Today i will have a look on x64 and i hope i can fix this quickly to put it into 1.4.1 as well.

;)

Yes, that is the issue I am referring to. Thanks for the reply, I hope that this issue can be resolved. Keep up the great work on an awesome mod!

Hey all - really interested in this mod, but I can't quite tell where it stands with regards to .24 - are we expecting an update soon, is there a working version floating around anywhere, what's up?

I'm not sure if anyone has balanced the antenna costs yet, but the pre-release builds have been decently stable for me on 0.24 (32-bit, OS X). Some people report builds as far back as the 1.4.0 release doing all right, but the ones I've personally tried were prereleases 32 and 41.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not, but it seems that high warp (>10000) causes KSP to crash within a few seconds of use. Nothing shows up in the logs, just hangs. Win8.1, KSP64, with and without other mods. The last things I noted in the debug log as the program crashed was mentions of Remote tech, unfortunately I gave up before getting a screenshot of it.

I'm not sure if anyone has balanced the antenna costs yet, but the pre-release builds have been decently stable for me on 0.24 (32-bit, OS X). Some people report builds as far back as the 1.4.0 release doing all right, but the ones I've personally tried were prereleases 32 and 41.

Huh. I'm a little nervous about blowing up my game with something untested, given the number and complexity of mods I've already got, but... anyone had a successful run with 64-bit, preferably Linux?

Oh, another question: How do you get MechJeb to stop controlling ships liuke a crewed command module?

Edited by FreakyCheeseMan

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the long silence, but Kerman's Law meant that ALL of us have been simultaneously busy for various parts of the past month. That's the reason only erendrake was making any posts here. Many thanks to everybody who chipped in for troubleshooting.

I'll try to answer the biggest questions I saw. If your question (or somebody else's version of it) isn't below, it's nothing personal, it's just really hard to read 250 posts all in one sitting and not miss anything. :)

First, the MFAQ: we are working on a KSP 0.24-compatible version, but there's a few more bugs to be ironed out. Hopefully it won't be more than a week away.

Can anyone working on the next version of RT2 comment on whether it'll be save-breaking if we start new .24 saves using the current version of RT2?

There shouldn't be any save-breaking changes, no.

Does RT2 generate its own contracts? Like "make LKO commsat network"

I'd say that's outside the scope of the mod, at least until everybody's happy with how network management is handled. If you want to make your own contract pack and say it's intended for RT players, though, knock yourself out.

Interesting issue with the ION drives from NearFuture Propulsion.

shows it but basically EXEC is burning for a small fraction of the time it needs to (I think I got 0.5m/s out of a 19.7m/s burn). Does RT2 play well with the ModuleEnginesFX module? (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65754-HotRockets%21-Particle-FX-Replacement-Tutorial)

Yes, version 1.4.0 and later should handle ModuleEnginesFX just fine, and I've played RT with both NFP and HotRockets with no problem. If you have a save file that can reliably reproduce this, I'd suggest posting it to the issue tracker (link in the first post).

Actually, wait -- are you using a VASIMR engine? I'm not sure if RT's ever been tested with variable engine parameters.

Looking through the config files, I don't understand why third-party command pods/probe cores aren't supported.

Because it causes trouble. Cilph said once that he tried doing that, but half the forum yelled at him for it. I don't know the details.

For my part, I used to play with a config similar to what you posted, but it turns out that some mods add command modules to parts that don't really make sense as probe cores. So that leads to unexpected signal delays, a.k.a. trouble. That's my reason for not having a PART[*] patch, I don't know if it's Cilph's.

On the other hand, I don't see any reason why we can't make MM patches for specific part packs or mods, if adding RT support makes sense for those specific parts.

Not sure if it is a bug, suggestion or observation.

Changing thrust limits on engines is not affected by signal delay.

That would be a bug. I don't know how easy it will be to fix, but please post it to the issue tracker anyway.

I had the idea of buying new surface tracking stations / relay stations on kerbin for (much) funds. So it would be more realistic.

The idea has already been suggested, but I think it will have to wait while we get the existing features cleaned up. I do like it, though -- adds a nice trade-off between making the game easier and launching cooler ships. :wink:

I'm encountering a bug that effectively stalls my career at LKO; for some reason my relay satellites disappear the moment I switch back to KSC, leaving only a bugged engine and bugging Kerbin as well... I've already made a post about this bug here - I've posted screenshots and output log for some more literate KSP players to check. I'd greatly appreciate any help available...

This is a known issue, we're working on it.

Oh, another question: How do you get MechJeb to stop controlling ships liuke a crewed command module?

MechJeb should not work like a crewed ship by default. Check to make sure that in your RT2 directory you have a file named RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg that looks like this:

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]
{
title = MechJeb 2 (AR202 case) (ModuleSPU)

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}
}

If you don't have that file, then restoring it should make MJ act like a probe core.

Fair warning, though: there's a compatibility bug at the moment where if MechJeb is treated like a probe core, its automation will be delayed as if the player were entering all MJ commands. Fixing the bug will apparently be very difficult. Personally, I think letting MJ act like a crewed pod is the lesser of two evils for now.

Personally, I think letting MJ act like a crewed pod is the lesser of two evils for now.

I was of the impression that since MechJeb is a very sophisticated autopilot that it is capable of running independently of mission controllers and there for would, by definition act as a manned pod (at least as far as signal processing is concerned). Otherwise, it is not an autopilot, but rather a remote controlled pod and you the player are actually controlling the kerbals at the other end.

Fair warning, though: there's a compatibility bug at the moment where if MechJeb is treated like a probe core, its automation will be delayed as if the player were entering all MJ commands. Fixing the bug will apparently be very difficult. Personally, I think letting MJ act like a crewed pod is the lesser of two evils for now.

Huh - so it will be delayed, even if the ship is crewed? Or am I confused?

And how do I make it work like a crewed pod, then?

And, uh... you expect I can just download the current build and go, on 64-bit Linux .24?

Huh - so it will be delayed, even if the ship is crewed? Or am I confused?

And how do I make it work like a crewed pod, then?

Then I'm confused. I thought the second question was what you had now?

And no, the delay bug I mentioned applies only if the MechJebbed ship is unmanned. If you have a crewed mission with a MechJeb module, then it should work just fine regardless of whether you have the config file and whether or not you have signal delay.

And, uh... you expect I can just download the current build and go, on 64-bit Linux .24?

There are at least two bugs that seem to happen only in 64-bit: one with science transmissions not returning all the science they should, and another with ships disappearing if they use HotRockets-modified engines. We're working to fix those, until then downloading on 0.24 is Use at Your Own Risk.

hmm ive had the transmission bug on win 64x but not the ship disappearing but that might be cause even thou using hot rockets i also have real fuels installed so there more than just 1 mod to the engines but ill test it to see once i feel like playing again

Sorry if this has been posted and addressed, but I couldn't find it anywhere on my searches.

Sometimes when I try to connect to the main comm network or the KSC directly and send information the yellow text pops up and says that no device is on the craft, even though it is and it is active and everything is set. I can see the connections with my commsats in orbit back to KSC. Sometimes when I'm in orbit I can get it to work but then when I goto the Mun or Minmus and land it pops up with the error message. I've tried different comm devices (both stock and RT2), and sometimes I can get it to work. The problem seems to happen the most with the Comms DTS-M1.

Anyone also having this problem?

Oooohkay, so I got this installed along with the full Realism Overhaul package, running Kerbal from the x64 exe, and it won't establish any connection. Even when I have the structural clamp-things on on the launch pad, and the DP-10 always-active antanne, it just tells me there's no connection.

When you can't connect to the rocket on the launch pad, even when you have big clamps hard-wired to it, then you know there's a problem :P

Oooohkay, so I got this installed along with the full Realism Overhaul package, running Kerbal from the x64 exe, and it won't establish any connection. Even when I have the structural clamp-things on on the launch pad, and the DP-10 always-active antanne, it just tells me there's no connection.

When you can't connect to the rocket on the launch pad, even when you have big clamps hard-wired to it, then you know there's a problem :P

In the second post of the realism overhaul thread there's a config for RSS, have you installed it? RO moves the space center (and adds a bunch), so if you don't update it then RT thinks your ground station is really far away.

Hi starstrider! Good to hear from you!

MechJeb should not work like a crewed ship by default..

The normal AR202 (wich comes with mechjeb) doesn't, but there's an alternative version on the KSO thread. It looks much better, but does acts as a crewed ship...

I had to edit something , but I can't remember what ^^"

EDIT: i just added this to your RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg:

@PART[mechjebkso]
{
title = AR-KSO10 Autopilot System (ModuleSPU)

MODULE
{
name = ModuleSPU
}
}

Edited by Initar

I'm encountering a bug that effectively stalls my career at LKO; for some reason my relay satellites disappear the moment I switch back to KSC, leaving only a bugged engine and bugging Kerbin as well... I've already made a post about this bug here - I've posted screenshots and output log for some more literate KSP players to check. I'd greatly appreciate any help available...

Just so that we're all clear (and to assist the lazy) this issue has arises from some sort of confliction with the newest version of HotRockets and running RT2 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 in 64-bit. Try not to use it if you want your sandbox linkages to work.

Sorry if this has been posted and addressed, but I couldn't find it anywhere on my searches.

Sometimes when I try to connect to the main comm network or the KSC directly and send information the yellow text pops up and says that no device is on the craft, even though it is and it is active and everything is set. I can see the connections with my commsats in orbit back to KSC. Sometimes when I'm in orbit I can get it to work but then when I goto the Mun or Minmus and land it pops up with the error message. I've tried different comm devices (both stock and RT2), and sometimes I can get it to work. The problem seems to happen the most with the Comms DTS-M1.

Anyone also having this problem?

If the map view and the signal delay toolbar say you have a connection but you can't transmit, then that's definitely a bug, but we'd need more details. Please post to the issue tracker with a (preferably minimal and unmodded) save file that produces the problem.

what features are we expected to see in a new version? sorry if it was already answered, i'm a lazy ........

The upcoming version doesn't have any new "features", but it does have about a dozen bug fixes. I'm hoping the version after that will have some frequently requested features, including support for fairings, customizable command station requirements, and better network management and feedback.

Edited by Starstrider42

The upcoming version doesn't have any new "features", but it does have about a dozen bug fixes. I'm hoping the version after that will have some frequently requested features, including support for fairings, customizable command station requirements, and better network management and feedback.

Good enough, btw what do you mean by 'fairing support', does that mean what 'joint between dp10 and x failed due to aerodynamic forces' massage isn't my fault? :D Keep up the good work.

edit: oh, and what about backwards compatibility?

Is it true that the range of omnirange antennas adds up when I add several of them on a vessel?

Only if you change the setting, which I forget the name of, which last I checked was off(?) .

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the long silence, but Kerman's Law meant that ALL of us have been simultaneously busy for various parts of the past month. That's the reason only erendrake was making any posts here. Many thanks to everybody who chipped in for troubleshooting.

Hey, great to have the RT Team back.

I hope everyone is well and we don't have any serious cases of illness.

Happy to hear that the development once again startet :)

In the second post of the realism overhaul thread there's a config for RSS, have you installed it? RO moves the space center (and adds a bunch), so if you don't update it then RT thinks your ground station is really far away.

Ah, derp. I expected everything necessary to be in the main post :q

Well, it's got signal, except now it doesn't accept throttle commands. The flight computer is telling me it's out of power, even though the craft has plenty of electric charge. It also reports "connected" at the top-left, and I can separate stages, but when I select a part and open its context menu, and try to do an action through the right-clicked context menu, it tells me there's no connection to send the command on O.o

EDIT; oh, I should also mention that yes, I know engines can't throttle in RO, but the slider on the HUD is stuck at zero, so, can't even ignite the engines...

Edited by Comet Tail