[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Good enough, btw what do you mean by 'fairing support', does that mean what 'joint between dp10 and x failed due to aerodynamic forces' massage isn't my fault? :D Keep up the good work.

edit: oh, and what about backwards compatibility?

That message "joint between x and y failed due to aerodynamic forces" is generated by FAR's aerodynamic failure calculations. If it's happening when the DP-10 is shielded by a fairing, that would be worth bringing up on the FAR thread.

"Fairing support" in RT2 is looking more at allowing retractable antennas to be extended inside a fairing.

"Fairing support" in RT2 is looking more at allowing retractable antennas to be extended inside a fairing.

Correct. It means that if you have FAR installed, then antennas inside fairings will not break. (If you don't have FAR installed, then sorry -- we don't have any other way of checking if a part is shielded or not.)

Forgive me for asking a question if it's already been answered (though I did search this thread and remain unsure). Can I play RT2 with KSP Interstellar? Or do the two mods model satellite relays in incompatible ways?

Thanks in advance.

Only if you change the setting, which I forget the name of, which last I checked was off(?) .

OK – on my install it was on by default. I'm using the latest dev version from git. (and Realism Overhaul but that doesn't change that)

Forgive me for asking a question if it's already been answered (though I did search this thread and remain unsure). Can I play RT2 with KSP Interstellar? Or do the two mods model satellite relays in incompatible ways?

Thanks in advance.

Hey, not a modder (or even a programmer), but I have both installed and they *appear* to play nice. I am encountering some unusual part-interaction-menu-won't-come-up-on-click-in-space problems, but it could be any of the other mods I have installed (Karbonite, MKS, KAS, TAC, NEAR, etc.)

One thing I've done for fun is play with signal delay until I hit an arbitrarily decided science node - then change the signal delay value to false to simulate quantum communications.

I mean, if you've got vacuum thrusters, AI, and warp drive, why not eh? :)

Edit: I use WaveFunction's experimental version for 0.24 compatibility - still waiting on FractalUK's return, if in fact he does

Edited by Threadsinger

The mods don't really pay attention to each other. You can't control a ship through Interstellar beamed-power relays, and you can't power it through RT2 communication relays, but there is nothing preventing you from having both types of networks up, either on the same satellites or on separate satellites.

Because they don't interact or both modify the same stock parts, any bugs that occur are unlikely to be specific to the combination. Interstellar's seismic-impactor experiment generates huge Mit sizes that are an excellent torture test for any mods that affect science transmission, but that's the closest they come to a direct interaction.

I'm also having an issue with RT2 and KSP Interstellar, although it may be another mod I have installed. (B9, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Engineer Redux, KW Rocketry, Infernal Robotics, and Enhanced Navball). None of the RT2 parts are showing up at all in the tech tree or in building. Even when I try to use the stock antennae or satellites, they don't have options to work as RT2. Not sure if I have to select a different tech tree option?

the bug where rocket parts disappear is it only when u launchor is it anytime u switch from teh vessel to another after launch was trying to repeat it but no luck so far

the bug where rocket parts disappear is it only when u launchor is it anytime u switch from teh vessel to another after launch was trying to repeat it but no luck so far

Wait, what? Sounds like a bug I'm getting that I thought (was hoping) was not RT related. Can you point me to the relevant post?

check the bug tracker. im just wanting to recreate4 it but so far no luck. wanted to see if i hyperedited a probe into orbit it was fine with both 1.4 and 1.4.1dev i tried

Is it true that the range of omnirange antennas adds up when I add several of them on a vessel?

Why you would do this is beyond me though. I mean you don't download RT just to circumvent the systems lol. It's unrealistic. In fact that many antennas would just interfere with each other.

Gaugeforever: since antennas in KSP have to represent both the antenna *and* the transmitter *and* the receiver, RT2 has an optional parameter where multiple omni (although not multiple dishes) can stack, with efficiency loss.

Why you would do this is beyond me though. I mean you don't download RT just to circumvent the systems lol. It's unrealistic. In fact that many antennas would just interfere with each other.

Antenna arrays are used in reality to improve gain, therefore range, but no array is omnidirectional. Any increase in gain would in reality translate in a square root increase in range. But also, more antennas in game are equivalent to using more power in transmission, and that again provides for a square root increase in range. Therefore, doubling the number of antennas would result in reality in double the effective range, though at the expense of omnidirectionality. If needed, can show the math behind this, but is a pretty boring part.

When antennas are not connected into an array, they definitely can interfere with each other (if using the same frequency band) unless they have different polarisation.

Many CB Radio Operators (truckers and the like) use dual CB antennas on their vehicles that have an effect known as co-phasing if I remember correctly. It increases the range perpendicular to a plane drawn from one antenna to the other at the expense of range in the parallel direction. (some reading material here)

I'm also having an issue with RT2 and KSP Interstellar, although it may be another mod I have installed. (B9, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Engineer Redux, KW Rocketry, Infernal Robotics, and Enhanced Navball). None of the RT2 parts are showing up at all in the tech tree or in building. Even when I try to use the stock antennae or satellites, they don't have options to work as RT2. Not sure if I have to select a different tech tree option?

If even the stock antennas don't have RT2 functionality, then you probably don't have ModuleManager installed. Please make sure there is exactly one ModuleManager.*.dll in the GameData folder; if you don't have one, you can grab it from the RT2 download.

When right clicking on an antenna in the VAB and selecting the option "Start deployed", is it possible for the mod to default to Mission Control at the launch pad? At the moment, the antenna is active but it has no target. Would it be better to target Mission Control by default? There may be reasons why not, it's just a thought. If the deployed antenna targets Mission Control by default it might make it a little easier to launch vehicles into orbit as the dish is automatically communicating with the ground station. Thoughts?

I have just started a new career (going to try Mission Control Extended on a hard level) and I have decided to come back to including RemoteTech. I first used this mod when it was version one (~KSP 0.17?) and it has always been one of my favourites, principally because it gives me a reason to establish a system wide comms network. However, I gave it a rest for a while as I had too many issues with vessel duplication bugs in KSP v0.23 as some of you will recall. Reading through the recent posts here I have realised that I play RT2 somewhat differently from most. I make a few config changes as follows (I hope I have them correct for the current version of RT2, as I said, just started play testing again.) So, just in case anyone is interested....

1. As in RT1, I add the SPU to all the manned command pods, that means I cannot transmit science data back from manned pods without having a valid connection to KSP. I have just confirmed that RT2 appears to still respect the original "local control" mode. If I have done it right, the following MM script ... WRONG! I have not done right. Pointless MM script removed. Thanks to Starstrider for pointing out my error. The code that requires science transmissions to have a connection is indeed in the antenna... cool!

Once upon a time Chatterer respected this. I wish it would again.

2. I use additive, multiple antennas and no signal delay. I have never been into the delay because I imagine myself as the probe computer not as the kerbals back at KSP. I don't use the RT2 computer much as I (proudly, & another story) use MechJeb's Smart A.S.S. Changed lines in my settings are currently based on what worked in KSP 0.23.

RangeMultiplier = 0.5
EnableSignalDelay = False
RangeModelType = Additive
MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 0.3

So I have upgraded the realism with the additive and the multiple antennas and downgraded the realism with the no delay. I simply enjoy it that way.

Cheers :)

ps. is there any way to drop the command capable crew number a little to say 3 or 4 rather than 6? I think it used to be available in the settings file.

Edited by Kaa253
Realised my gross mis-understanding

1. As in RT1, I add the SPU to all the manned command pods, that means I cannot transmit science data back from manned pods without having a valid connection to KSP.

That shouldn't matter. AFAIK the code that requires science transmissions to have a connection is in the antenna, not in the command part.

is there any way to drop the command capable crew number a little to say 3 or 4 rather than 6? I think it used to be available in the settings file.

Not yet. Version 1.5.0 (the release after the 0.24-compatible 1.4.1) is slated to have it, though.

That shouldn't matter. AFAIK the code that requires science transmissions to have a connection is in the antenna, not in the command part.

Thanks Starstrider. You are absolutely correct (of course)!

I have removed the useless MM script from my last post because I wouldn't want to be responsible for anybody falling into the same trap and copying my stupidity.

@Kaa253 its good to see humble people around in this community. If you ever wanna chat, throw around ideas or future strategies with Mods/cfg's exc, with someone with the same interests and manner, drop me a PM. Not an MMO just yet, but maybe a slave type or smaller cell type/servers will be available some day. I agree on the zero delay, but feel strict about "no connection means.... NO connection. It does offer a depth and purpose that at times seems to be lacking unless you are constantly driven to create mission types. Even then, the need for a great com's structure, is critical for Role Playing with a bit more realism.

Trying my first re-install for RT2 since my modded versions and constant hunger for more and more mod space killed my interest. Now with Unity FINALL-------Y getting their act into the 21st century with 64 bit, its been awesome.

As always to the modding community, thx for making my ksp gaming so much better.

From Oregon, Dren

I installed it to it, everything was working fine, I had a plan to make a communication grid at a 700km orbit, but when I launched the first probe the GUI that appears below the Time-Warp that for my understanding means we're connected was red, my probe had the Reflectron DT-10 but still said it had no connection, eventually I did had control over the ship, I launched and got into orbit, however still was in red and I still had control of my ship, then the GUI with the Sat image in the map view appeared in blank, not sure if I incorrectly installed it, help please. (I'll take a picture if needed.)