[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

I was just looking at the DRE cfg linked in the DRE OP. It seems to require RealismOverhaul (ie each line contains "FOR[RealismOverhaul]"). Once upon a time I had a cfg for RSS-class heatshields that didn't reference RealismOverhaul. Before I start from scratch on another, does anyone have a link to such a cfg?

I was just looking at the DRE cfg linked in the DRE OP. It seems to require RealismOverhaul (ie each line contains "FOR[RealismOverhaul]"). Once upon a time I had a cfg for RSS-class heatshields that didn't reference RealismOverhaul. Before I start from scratch on another, does anyone have a link to such a cfg?

:FOR[RealismOverhaul] tag does not mean you NEED RealismOverhaul, that would be :NEED[RealismOverhaul]. So building another is not required.

oh, but it worked before...

Worked before what?...Your details are severely lacking. Again, RealismOverhaul has absolutely nothing to do with terrain. That is RealSolarSystem, and I can tell you that you have failed to read and follow directions...

Ready for some spoon feeding....

INSTALLATION:

Follow these directions TO THE LETTER If you do not, or you use a mod manager (which counts as not following this one simple direction)...try again, by following the directions.

The directions: Extract archive to KSP/GameData.

TEXTURE INSTALLATION

Now, you must select a texture resolution. You may download a premade pack (8192, 4096, or 2048), or pick and choose. Any planets which do not have textures will not have their coloration, features, etc., changed, although they will be made larger.

Download links for both main download and textures are later in the post, I'll leave you to find those.

I'm having engine trouble: Real Engines seems to be MIA. The link in the Real Fuels thread points me here, but I can't find it anywhere. I've got a full RO setup working fully, but using liquidfuel and oxidiser for everything...

:huh:

The pods don't have ANY internal ElectricCharge storage now? Not even emergency batteries? Something seems wrong here...Just sayin~

Not by default, however they should all have more than enough room to add some some via RealFuels GUI window.

Not by default, however they should all have more than enough room to add some some via RealFuels GUI window.

[EDIT] Code from was RealismOverhaul\RO_Squad_Command.cfg

!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
{
}

(...)

MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
basemass = -1
type = ServiceModule
volume = 120
TANK
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1
}
TANK
{
name = Food
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1
}
TANK
{
name = Water
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1
}
TANK
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1
}
TANK
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1
}
TANK
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1
}
}

The one that DOESN'T have any ElectricCharge between the list of "fuels" available to be added? And even if there was, how exactly does ElectricCharge occupy fuel "volume"? :confused: I think that either having the batteries installed or not makes a whole lot more sense...Just sayin~ :P

Edited by AlmightyR

Hey look at that...Stand by for new release with update to life support, it's been committed, just no release:(

As for volume...ElectricCharge by default 500kW = 1L of space. So if 40L of volume exists that will equate to 20000kW of power. (40*500). So...What I may do is put a small TANK of electricCharge by default...want more...add to it.

500kW = 1L of space.

*Mind Blownâ„¢* - I didn't know that! Is this some kind of average of the volume of the battery needed to store that charge? Or is it actual volume of electric-charge-carries (such as electrons)? Do you have a link or a google search-term I can use to learn more about this? :)

[EDIT:] BTW, just to be clear, the file I posted that code from was RealismOverhaul\RO_Squad_Command.cfg

Edited by AlmightyR

This figure, courtesy of NathanKell is approximately the correct volume/charge capacity of a battery. I need to make a correction...1EC/s = 1kW.

Edited by RedAV8R

*Mind Blownâ„¢* - I didn't know that! Is this some kind of average of the volume of the battery needed to store that charge? Or is it actual volume of electric-charge-carries (such as electrons)? Do you have a link or a google search-term I can use to learn more about this? :)

That number seems to be the density of silver-oxide batteries, which were used a lot in space applications because of their high density. Also it is 500Wh per liter, not 500kW.

However modern Lithium-ion batteries can actually surpass them with up to 730Wh per liter and are IIRC more often used in modern spacecraft.

500kJ ;) (aka 500kWs)

Yes, I thought you'd ported over the old volume settings actually--that pod looks like it's starting without LS resources either?

EDIT: once again, missed the new page. So RedAV8R, you ninja'd my above. Although the question remains.

R0cketC0der: It's actually 138Wh per liter (500,000J) in RF. This was based on an estimate of battery specific power from NASA docs for Gemini and Apollo and 70s-era kit. Same with the mass per kJ.

Edited by NathanKell

500kJ ;) (aka 500kWs)

Yes, I thought you'd ported over the old volume settings actually--that pod looks like it's starting without LS resources either?

EDIT: once again, missed the new page. So RedAV8R, you ninja'd my above. Although the question remains.

R0cketC0der: It's actually 138Wh per liter (500,000J) in RF. This was based on an estimate of battery specific power from NASA docs for Gemini and Apollo and 70s-era kit. Same with the mass per kJ.

It was...New update should have taken care of that...of course I don't know WHAT pod he is referring to...

NEW UPDATE!!!

Changelog:

v6.0 ALPHA 7 \/

*Rework DRE Heatshields, more size options available now.

*Update TAC Consumption/Production Rates

*Add new Thoikol M55 SRM

*Apollo Heatshield fix for FAR

*Add J-2 option

*Fix Generic RCS and rework with +PART

*Add back ModuleRCSFX - NOW INCLUDED

*Life Support adds to Stock Pods

*Add FASA UA1207

*Add new SRB Thrust Curves to multiple engines (still some to do)

*New TweakScale FreeScale option for structural components

*Fix TAC Tank Definitions

*ModuleManager 2.2.0 - NOW INCLUDED

*Minor Isp Fix for Aerojet SPS Engine

*New RealEngines SRBs - Castor 120/30/30XL/UA1205

*New RealEngines Liquid - SpaceX Merlins, Aestus II

*New TweakScale Nose Cone for SRBs

...of course I don't know WHAT pod he is referring to...

Specifically it was the mk1pod I took the code from, but all pods had the problem. Other parts like lander cabins kept the ElectricCharge resource nodes, so they were fine tho.

Do you have ANY other engine pack??? RftS or Stockalike?

No I don't.

Yes, I realise I could just grab one of them and fly happy (and might yet). But I'm just a little curious about why I'm struggling to find Real Engines, since that was what I used in 0.23.5 and got along well with.