[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

So, my problem has solved itself in some way- the problem was that KJR with was not working with RO due to some reason, but it has magically began to after another (and there were many) reinstalling of RO and KJE.

Now some minor issues - i had that in RO 5.0 too but it concerns real engines mod more- F1 four and F1 five have strange overheat behaviour- they overheat very fast after launch( and this is unmanageable cause they dont throttle actually) but do not explode- there are sounds and effects of overheat and heat meters oscilate near critical temperatures but there is no explosion.

RP 107 and vulcan 2 just overheat VERY fast after launch and explode and this is unmanageable cause reducing throttle doesnt prevent heat from building up

So, my problem has solved itself in some way- the problem was that KJR with was not working with RO due to some reason, but it has magically began to after another (and there were many) reinstalling of RO and KJE.

Now some minor issues - i had that in RO 5.0 too but it concerns real engines mod more- F1 four and F1 five have strange overheat behaviour- they overheat very fast after launch( and this is unmanageable cause they dont throttle actually) but do not explode- there are sounds and effects of overheat and heat meters oscilate near critical temperatures but there is no explosion.

RP 107 and vulcan 2 just overheat VERY fast after launch and explode and this is unmanageable cause reducing throttle doesnt prevent heat from building up

I'll run through some engines today and take care of the heat issue.

Did you mean RD-107? That shouldn't overheat. In fact I was just using it yesterday with no problem. It gets hot but it evens out. At least when used by itself. Are you clustering them?

What parts are actually supposed to be rescaled with the latest version of the mod?

It is a big problem for me that some parts are rescaled and some are not and they just do not fit each other.

Especially the command pods where none but the stock ones are rescaled in any way.

What does it mean if a part pack is supported?

Most of those parts do do not have heat shields where they are supposed to be they do not have their reaction wheels removed and such other things.

And I am still looking around for a way to get rid of the quite annoying noticeable difference between the size of the rescaled capsules and their stock size interiors.

Thank you!

Edited by Kitspace

Why do you try to scale absolutely everything?

I understand the reason to scale engines and tanks for example but kerbals themselves are small they do not need command pods of human size.

In this case I would try to scale the historic parts to their real life size first not generic and stock ones...

What part packs are fully and completely supported at the moment?

Also regarding the escape systems. Command pods are usually designed to turn blunt end first. How are we actually supposed to hold them nose first when firing the escape tower system? In stock we have reaction wheels and what do we have for that purpose in real life?

What is the real life difference between the electric engine igniters which obviously require electricity to work and those ones that only require fuel? I do not mean those self igniting hypergolic fuel mixtures but only the classic cryogenic fuels here.

As you know such difference exists in the configs.

Thank you!

Edited by Kitspace

Because this is RO of which is designed mainly around RSS, in which PEOPLE are the norm, not Kerbals.

While there are such things as reaction wheels they are not present in a vast majority of objects.

Mostly just MY packs are completely supported, there are parts of what I call 'generic' packs in which not everything has been touched.

Escape systems should operate much like real life counter parts, as much as we can get it, that is simply aerodynamics the added weight and distance moves the CG forward to stay 'pointy' end forward, until such time it is jettisoned and pod will then fall w/ heatshield forward.

First of all, Launch escape systems usually have side thrust anyway to be *sure* they don't stay nose-first. What's the point of an escape system that simply launches you up high and then (if from the ground) you fall right back down onto the raging inferno or (if in flight) the rocket meets you again and smashes you? LES need to get you *away* from the problem, not just forwards from it.

Now, as to scaling parts. RedAV8R, would you mind adding one of my ballistic coefficient talks to the FAQ? This seems to come up often. The tl;dr is that Squad parts are way too heavy for their surface area. The Mk1 pod (Mercury equivalent) should mass only about a third of what it does in order to have the same ballistic coefficient as Mercury, and the Mk1-2 pod needs to mass about 40% (and everything you add to it, also 40%) to have the same BC as Apollo.

Higher BC = less drag on the way up (unrealistic, but in general a good thing) and *much worse heating* on the way down (a *very* bad thing).

Instead of making a Mk1-2 pod that supposedly carries three human beings and masses only 1.64 tons, we rescale it to reasonable proportions.

Now that RealEngines is being supported inside of RO, I'm wondering if I can get the CECE added to it? I've got a separate config file here, but could see it being a (acutally 3) variant on the RL10A-3 if that's preferred / cleaner code / etc. This engine is definitely not used on any production rockets yet, but it's been test fired a lot, seems to be about production ready, no major issues, and would be only the second landing (deep throttleable) engine in RealEngines.

Anyhoo, I like using it, I think it's a realistic engine to add, and I'm happy to hack it into the config, or let you guys copy the value from my file.

Now that RealEngines is being supported inside of RO, I'm wondering if I can get the CECE added to it? I've got a separate config file here, but could see it being a (acutally 3) variant on the RL10A-3 if that's preferred / cleaner code / etc. This engine is definitely not used on any production rockets yet, but it's been test fired a lot, seems to be about production ready, no major issues, and would be only the second landing (deep throttleable) engine in RealEngines.

Anyhoo, I like using it, I think it's a realistic engine to add, and I'm happy to hack it into the config, or let you guys copy the value from my file.

I think we could do that.

redav8r have you toyed with angara mod pack? That would be a great addition to the RO :D

That is also on the list:)

I cant seem to get the game to load at all since the update... I think the issue is that neither rss nor ro have been updated yet but it could also be that some of the dependent mods have also not been updated yet... not sure what the do

I cant seem to get the game to load at all since the update... I think the issue is that neither rss nor ro have been updated yet but it could also be that some of the dependent mods have also not been updated yet... not sure what the do

RO at this time is NOT for 0.24 of KSP, there are a lot of dependencies that have not been updated, and there are going to be changes, due to the nature of a big update like this don't expect it any time soon, if you want RO, best if you have a copy of 0.23.5 laying around, which of course won't do you any good because things are liable to break going forward.

Which B9 Aerospace parts have the realism configs?

Cockpits and SABER engines should be configured correctly. The wings already work with FAR. Advanced Jet Engines adds some nice turbo jets using the B9 jet parts as well.

Been trying to boot up my RO back-up (still 0.23.5), but crashing to desktop towards the end of the loading screen

logs here

Only difference between now and pre-0.24 is it's now located on my desktop, and I removed Active Texture Reduction because it doesn't play nicely, for some reason

Been trying to boot up my RO back-up (still 0.23.5), but crashing to desktop towards the end of the loading screen

logs here

Only difference between now and pre-0.24 is it's now located on my desktop, and I removed Active Texture Reduction because it doesn't play nicely, for some reason

Well you need to put ATM back because you are running out of memory.

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Weird. I pulled ATM out because it causes KSP to stop responding during launch, but after adding it back, starting it up, having it lock up, and killing KSP off through task manager, my output log appears fine? like it was loading up in the background?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4t0j1stibpe237/output_log%20%282%29.txt

It's weird because in the past when that happened with ATM, I could let it sit for 20-30 minutes and nothing would change

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm a dumb. ATM has somehow decided to work. Time to build a Titan IIIC

Edited by Roastduck