[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

I don't believe this is an issue with BD. Just figured I'd throw it out there. I messed around with the space mans JDAM last night, updating it to work with the new BD. Basically the cfg file looks identical to the mk82 bomb except that it has thrust and guidance. In v0.8.1 you can only drop the JDAM with the weapon module fire command, only if you are locked on a target. And if you are not locked on a target the only way to fire it is to right click the bombs themselves and click fire one at a time. Where previously you could dumb fire the bombs from the weapon manager regardless. Anybody have an idea of how to have guidance on a bomb and still be able to dumb fire?

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried but they keep exploding inside the bay O.o

HELP!

Do you have enough clearance around the bomb? And also are any of the bombs touching one another? I had the cluster bomb explode in the bomb bay every time because it was touching the cruise missile when I was developing this

I don't believe this is an issue with BD. Just figured I'd throw it out there. I messed around with the space mans JDAM last night, updating it to work with the new BD. Basically the cfg file looks identical to the mk82 bomb except that it has thrust and guidance. In v0.8.1 you can only drop the JDAM with the weapon module fire command, only if you are locked on a target. And if you are not locked on a target the only way to fire it is to right click the bombs themselves and click fire one at a time. Where previously you could dumb fire the bombs from the weapon manager regardless. Anybody have an idea of how to have guidance on a bomb and still be able to dumb fire?

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have enough clearance around the bomb? And also are any of the bombs touching one another? I had the cluster bomb explode in the bomb bay every time because it was touching the cruise missile when I was developing this

How the weapon manager treats the weapon depends on if it says bomb or missile in its name. If it says missile it will only fire if locked on if it says bomb it will not need a lockon to fire. In refering to the part title displayed in game.

Also Baha have you considered rewriting the guidance code to have different methods such as laser guided infrared and radar.

Radar will ignore flares but be distracted by ECM

Infrared will be more effectively stopped by flares but immune to ECM

Laser would be unaffected by both ECM and flares but require line of sight with a targeting pod

I know this is a bit advanced and its probably a bit outside the current scale of the mod but maybe in the future ya know?

Edited by LORDPrometheus

@datubaman:

I agree with all of your suggestions, esp. 3 and 4.

And also something like "see that friend/foe? go at him", this would even allow Air-To-Ground attacks.

But I am not sure if 2 is a good idea, sometimes you are flying too fast and opening the cargo bay could kill you, making it dangerous to switch between guns.

Thank you very much. I like your "Go to target" suggestion, mostly because it's only a hop, skip, and a jump away from Kerbals being able to call in airstrikes.

Also, that's a pretty easy fix, just have it do a speed check before it opens the cargo bays so that if it is above a certain speed it won't open the bays. It'll just display a message saying "Speed too high, Cannot open bays"

And also, here's more things to add to the autopilot.

1. Missions- Pulling from the quoted suggestion by tetryds, and going from my own suggestion that it is in reference to, I want to be able to give the autopilot missions. I want to tell the autopilot, "Hey, see that bomber? Don't let it die" or "Hey, see that area over there? Go destroy everything in that area." or "HOLY CRAP! INCOMING FIGHTERS! KILL THEM! KILL THEM!"

2. RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!- Another thing, when things are going unfavorably for it, (it sustains heavy damage, it's low on fuel and ammo, it just fired all of it's missiles and all of them missed, etc.) that the autopilot will try and disengage. When things aren't going well for it, I want the autopilot try try and run away. In connection to the above suggestion, the autopilot will also try and retreat if it fails in it's mission, depending on what that mission is. (This idea came to me when I pit two fighters against each other, and they proceeded to trash every single missile shot and ended up in a gun battle that only ended because one of them ran out of fuel.)

How the weapon manager treats the weapon depends on if it says bomb or missile in its name. If it says missile it will only fire if locked on if it says bomb it will not need a lockon to fire. In refering to the part title displayed in game.

Also Baha have you considered rewriting the guidance code to have different methods such as laser guided infrared and radar.

Radar will ignore flares but be distracted by ECM

Infrared will be more effectively stopped by flares but immune to ECM

Laser would be unaffected by both ECM and flares but require line of sight with a targeting pod

I know this is a bit advanced and its probably a bit outside the current scale of the mod but maybe in the future ya know?

I don't believe that is the case, but correct me if I'm wrong. I edited the cfg for the JDAM and the one thing that held the bomb from dropping from a weapon manager command was when I changed the line that reads

"guidanceActive = false //missile has guidanceActive" to true. When it is set to false, it will dumb fire but true requires a lock on a target. This was a non issue in 0.7 I am just curious if there is a work around or if I will just need to be shooting at something to drop a guided bomb.

I don't believe that is the case, but correct me if I'm wrong. I edited the cfg for the JDAM and the one thing that held the bomb from dropping from a weapon manager command was when I changed the line that reads

"guidanceActive = false //missile has guidanceActive" to true. When it is set to false, it will dumb fire but true requires a lock on a target. This was a non issue in 0.7 I am just curious if there is a work around or if I will just need to be shooting at something to drop a guided bomb.

A lot changed with .8 my guess is the weapons manager is confused with how to fire a guided bomb since it jumps aero systems among other things. BD mentioned JADAMs don't work with the current setup so I'm guessing the changes he made made the addon in question not work

A lot changed with .8 my guess is the weapons manager is confused with how to fire a guided bomb since it jumps aero systems among other things. BD mentioned JADAMs don't work with the current setup so I'm guessing the changes he made made the addon in question not work

Oh ok, I couldn't find anything on the JDAMs, guess I just didn't dig deep enough. That's alright, I'll just set it to unguided with no thrust and call it a day. At least until someone smarter than me figures it out. Thanks

I wish spanners boomsticks still worked :(

A port is on the way but my hands are tied for the monent Baha has kindly offered to incorporate a workaround I need into the next BDArmory release so I should be able to get a working version up shortly afterwards

So... the only bad thing about the new KSP version and the new BDArmory is.... JUST as I was starting to do things in the real world, NOW I have to start all over with new ideas, new challenges, and new parts....

I have a few suggestions:

1. Unguided rocket artillery, like an MRLS turret

2. A 50mm or 60mm cannon, it would fill a gap between not enough damage from a 30mm gun and total destruction from the Howitzer or the Abrams turret

3. Non moving , non gattling gun, gun mounts for .50 cal, 20mm, and 30mm

4. A ground to ground missile like an anti tank missile

5. IR smoke for ground vehicles to combat incoming missiles.

Quick question, I have an animation made and imported from Blender, but where am I supposed to be placing it in Unity? I've tried putting it in the same place as the deploy animation for the 50. cal, but that doesn't seem to do anything...

OTOM.png

Quick question, I have an animation made and imported from Blender, but where am I supposed to be placing it in Unity? I've tried putting it in the same place as the deploy animation for the 50. cal, but that doesn't seem to do anything...

http://s28.postimg.org/p8kwh154d/OTOM.png

The root object can be anywhere. What's important is the relative rotation of each transform.

edit:

I'm uploading an explanation video since several people have this problem.

edit2: Oh I thought you were talking about the wrong rotation problem when turning the turret off.

Yeah the animation should work when placed there. Turn play automatically off and make sure you reference the animation name in the config.

Also make sure that its the only Animation component in the hierarchy. Might be safer to just put it on the root object.

Here's the explantion for the rotation transforms for future reference:

Edited by BahamutoD

I have a few suggestions:

1. Unguided rocket artillery, like an MRLS turret

2. A 50mm or 60mm cannon, it would fill a gap between not enough damage from a 30mm gun and total destruction from the Howitzer or the Abrams turret

3. Non moving , non gattling gun, gun mounts for .50 cal, 20mm, and 30mm

4. A ground to ground missile like an anti tank missile

5. IR smoke for ground vehicles to combat incoming missiles.

Some kind of aimable rocket turret would be amazing. Also finally unguided missiles the ai might be able to use.

We got at least something along the lines of what you're asking:

2. There are very few things a gattling can't kill. Try the millennium cannon, which is a 35mm cannon. It will destroy most things.

3. There is the 20mm vulcan and 30mm GAU cannon.

4. Nothing dedicated, but air to ground missiles work on vehicles. Only issue might be the firing angle.

Some kind of aimable rocket turret would be amazing. Also finally unguided missiles the ai might be able to use.

2. There are very few things a gattling can't kill. Try the millennium cannon, which is a 35mm cannon. It will destroy most things.

4. Nothing dedicated, but air to ground missiles work on vehicles. Only issue might be the firing angle.

3: He means single barrel machine guns. No gatlin rotary multibarrel guns. (the hidden vulcan is the regular vulcan gatlin gun hidden inside.

Didn't yet test it, but it makes sense: Since damage is done by heat, the toughness of a material is determined by thermal mass. Which is derived from weight (and some multipliers) and means lightweightstructural plates aren't the best shields anymore.

Edit: Otoh you'll get two shiny 'damage' overlays with F10 and F11. Although one might want to disable the former one to avoid memory leaks.

Guess we need extra shield parts. One thing tho: You can use the reentry shields, their ablative armor will protect very well against damage. If you want to create 'shields' by hand, there is thermalMassModifier, heatConductivity, and emissiveConstant in the cfg (check wings). Against guns those things would be toughness, damage-tranfer (which should be low), and regeneration. Of course also the heat tolerance, which should be higher. Mind that will absolutely impact the stock games heat mechanics!

The lasers rip through heat shields, pre-coolers, and asteroids as easily as any other object. Asteroids have a heat tolerance of about 25,000 and incredible mass compared to other parts, so only by abusing glitches can you create a defense against lasers.

I also play DMP rather often, so having specially built parts is not ideal. Fortunately, BahamutoD said he will work on balancing lasers again.

2. I'm not looking for ability to kill. I would like some medium caliber cannons that when fired, would do some damage, but not completely destroy the craft. The abrams would be good for this except the craft would have to be pretty big to have this effect and my computer wouldn't be able to handle it.

For the next version would it be possible to implement metal storm?

with a slider for the fire rate too?

try asking PrototypeTheta he is working on things more along those lines in fact we were talking about metalstorm the other day

I've been having trouble with the lasers. They've been cutting through six layers of structural panels instantly. Even ships designed to handle lasers don't last much more than three seconds, and I only get that long because I found that docking hubs have odd heating effects when hit with the laser.

I suppose that this is due to stock heating unbalancing weapon damage.

TBH…I like the lasers as is.