[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

I was thinking that it would be cool to do add an "advanced monitoring" experiment version of each of the stock experiments.

Basically add an advanced monitoring device to attach them to which has to hook up all these other parts.

Also, it would be really fun to have to use an engineer for some tasks relating to this mod, and a scientist for others. 

On 6/8/2016 at 10:22 PM, Ruedii said:

Also, it would be really fun to have to use an engineer for some tasks relating to this mod, and a scientist for others. 

You already need an engineer to set up the experiments, and a scientist to run them.

We've uploaded a commit with the new dummy plugin @Nils277 made. This plugin allows us to require anything with a central station module, rather than the specific part. The module doesn't *do* anything, other than letting the 'vessel' pass the check for the experiments to run. This way you can use the new wedge he made for Kerbal Planetary Base System as a central station, without having to connect SEP's. We also might make the stock science lab capable of acting as a central station - this would require adding a surface-attachable 'outlet' part. Please see the GitHub in order to download - I haven't packaged it as a release yet, so follow the helpful graphic below by @akron. Please test and verify it works on your install. I will try and put some time in once 1.1.3 hopefully returns the game to stability, and start attempting to fix some of the issues on the Github. Again, neither myself nor @AlbertKermin have much time for this project at present, so if anyone wants to volunteer and take a whack at fixing the lingering issues it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Spoiler

(Note this image is a guide for another GitHub, but the process is the same)

SqH4ltI.png

Also, if you have not seen it, here is the KBPS wedge that Nils made.

F2C9j0P.png

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

You already need an engineer to set up the experiments, and a scientist to run them.

We've uploaded a commit with the new dummy plugin @Nils277 made. This plugin allows us to require anything with a central station module, rather than the specific part. The module doesn't *do* anything, other than letting the 'vessel' pass the check for the experiments to run. This way you can use the new wedge he made for Kerbal Planetary Base System as a central station, without having to connect SEP's. We also might make the stock science lab capable of acting as a central station - this would require adding a surface-attachable 'outlet' part. Please see the GitHub in order to download - I haven't packaged it as a release yet, so follow the helpful graphic below by @akron. Please test and verify it works on your install. I will try and put some time in once 1.1.3 hopefully returns the game to stability, and start attempting to fix some of the issues on the Github. Again, neither myself nor @AlbertKermin have much time for this project at present, so if anyone wants to volunteer and take a whack at fixing the lingering issues it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reveal hidden contents

(Note this image is a guide for another GitHub, but the process is the same)

SqH4ltI.png

Also, if you have not seen it, here is the KBPS wedge that Nils made.

F2C9j0P.png

It's cool and I use it more often than the standard base (as I tap power off of my landers and thus don't need the solar panels), but for some odd reason the icon is sideways.

3 minutes ago, captainradish said:

It's cool and I use it more often than the standard base (as I tap power off of my landers and thus don't need the solar panels), but for some odd reason the icon is sideways.

0.o can you show screenshots of your setup? It sounds like things are easier than intended if you're just running off a little lander.

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

0.o can you show screenshots of your setup? It sounds like things are easier than intended if you're just running off a little lander.

I attach a plug onto a radial attachment point on the lander in the VAB and hook a conduit up to it after landing. It pulls power from the on-board solar panels. Is it not supposed to? I build a probe whos sole purpose is landing the parts and I land my kerbalnauts later, so I don't have to worry about unplugging anything.

Edited by captainradish

5 minutes ago, captainradish said:

I attach a plug onto a radial attachment point on the lander in the VAB and hook a conduit up to it after landing. It pulls power from the on-board solar panels. Is it not supposed to? I build a probe whos sole purpose is landing the parts and I land my kerbalnauts later, so I don't have to worry about unplugging anything.

Do you still have the central station in the setup though?

Just now, captainradish said:

Yes. I'm just pulling power from the lander, nothing more.

Alright. You can totally do it with the power - we have no way of stopping you - but I was making sure you still had the central station connected.

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Alright. You can totally do it with the power - we have no way of stopping you - but I was making sure you still had the central station connected.

It just made sense to me that I already had a lander sitting nearby with solar panels, so I might as well install a plug on it!

On 25/05/2016 at 7:06 PM, p1t1o said:

@AlbertKermin I'm having trouble running the science experiments, the right click menu on each experiment has no entry for running anything, no buttons at all. This is with a scientist active. I was once able to run an experiment from the SEP central module, but nothing from the others. All fully plugged up, solar panel attached to the SEP and everything. Im able to deploy ("force open") the antenna. I can place all the equipment with an engineer and the special tool (not too many explosions). I checked and the DMagic module is present where it should be. I've tried on Mun and on Minmus but no joy :(

Are there any common errors people tend to make? Is there a minimum power requirement? Do I need a scientist of a certain level (think I only had a level 1)?

Thanks!

Pete

On 25/05/2016 at 7:15 PM, p1t1o said:

@CobaltWolf

Yup, "DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric.dll" that came with the mod, in its proper folder.

I am running remotetech, I'll try what it says there, although I have tried setting the target as the nearest connected vessel (as in vessel is connected via a couple of sattelites to KSC, SEP is targetted at vessel).

Thanks cobalt

Wait/Out

On 19/03/2016 at 1:59 AM, AlbertKermin said:

@eberkain I think I found your problem. When using RemoteTech with this mod, you have to hit "[EVA] Set Target", and manually target the KSC in order for it to be able to transmit.

Edit: Further test reveal that you also have to use "[EVA] Force Open" as well.

Hi All,

So I'm still not getting anywhere running the experiments. After setting up a station, the right click menu on the experiments has no option to do anything.

To be clear, I have remotetech, and this is what I mean by "setting up a station":

SEP central module connected via the power plugs to 4 experiment modules (all power cables properly "linked" KAS-wise).

4 of the little solar panels and a small battery attached to SEP module.

I "force open" the antenna and set a target.

I have tried setting the target as mission control, as the lander that brought it and as an orbiting comms satellite (all leading back to MC via remotetech).

I have an engineer (lvl2) and a scientist (lvl1) present, and I have one of the screwdriver tools, and the usual KIS attachement tools.

I cant figure out what I am doing wrong?

I "surface attach" things (by holding "H") when mounting things on the ground.

I have a fair few mods, are there any known incompatibilities that could do this?

I'm pretty sure everything is installed correctly.

If I "switch to" the station itself, there aren't any options in the right-click menus to run experiments here either.

Right-clicking the Central Module though, the Remotetech SPU does register as un-connected, even when the antenna is targetted at a vessel that has a connection back to MC.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, AndrewHere said:

I think i got a fix for placing solar panels inside storage :D Im not sure but after this i can place solar panels inside sc-62 container just good :D

Just so it doesn't frustrate anyone else, Win Defender flags this DLL as some kind of trojan. It took me a few tries to get it to stick in the right place.

Stupid Microsoft. Bleah.

1 minute ago, captainradish said:

Just so it doesn't frustrate anyone else, Win Defender flags this DLL as some kind of trojan. It took me a few tries to get it to stick in the right place.

Stupid Microsoft. Bleah.

I got Bit Defender 2016 its all good :D also disabled all that Microsoft stuff don't need it :P

So I like this mod, but I've had a few issues/questions.

First: What am I supposed to do to keep experiments from EXPLODING when I surface attach them to the ground? Like I think the solar wind one and the ion detector one I couldn't get to not explode....

Second: There's only 4 plugs in the central station, and I tried one of those battery pack things with 6 plugs, and I connected it via a plug to the central station, and then connected the experiments via a plug to the battery thing, and they said "all experiments must be connected to the cental station blah blah"... So what's the point of those battery packs? Am I using it wrong?

I was thinking, making these experiments like the science lab, and having to leave them running for an extended period of time would be a really good addition.

You would need a scientist to start the experiment and download the data.  The experiments would run unattended for a period of time.

To be more specific, each module should have 3 experiments:
Basic reading:  Immediate, low science yield per data.
Short-term monitoring:  Works slowly, runs for three hours, Requires scientist to collect the data.
Long term monitoring: Creates continued science data like the science lab for a maximum of one Kerbin year.  Data slowly gathers in main controller unit automatically for later transmission or collection by a scientist.

Finally, there should be a plug device to stream data from these experiments to science labs on ground bases, to create a steady stream of science data over a year.  The device should include a buffer for if the lab is full.

54 minutes ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

So I like this mod, but I've had a few issues/questions.

First: What am I supposed to do to keep experiments from EXPLODING when I surface attach them to the ground? Like I think the solar wind one and the ion detector one I couldn't get to not explode....

Second: There's only 4 plugs in the central station, and I tried one of those battery pack things with 6 plugs, and I connected it via a plug to the central station, and then connected the experiments via a plug to the battery thing, and they said "all experiments must be connected to the cental station blah blah"... So what's the point of those battery packs? Am I using it wrong?

Double check that all your connections are secure.   Movement in KAS connections can sometimes make them disconnect. 

Generally I recommend securing your plug to a ground base so it doesn't move around and break the connections.  This also makes it look nice.

4 hours ago, Ruedii said:

I was thinking, making these experiments like the science lab, and having to leave them running for an extended period of time would be a really good addition.

You would need a scientist to start the experiment and download the data.  The experiments would run unattended for a period of time.

Short-term monitoring:  Works slowly, runs for three hours, Requires scientist to collect the data.
Long term monitoring: Creates continued science data like the science lab for a maximum of one Kerbin year.  Data slowly gathers in main controller unit automatically for later transmission or collection by a scientist.

Finally, there should be a plug device to stream data from these experiments to science labs on ground bases, to create a steady stream of science data over a year.  The device should include a buffer for if the lab is full.

Double check that all your connections are secure.   Movement in KAS connections can sometimes make them disconnect. 

Generally I recommend securing your plug to a ground base so it doesn't move around and break the connections.  This also makes it look nice.

I rather like your thinking. I really hate it when you run an experiment, and its instantly done. I especially hate it when you have a satellite up in orbit to perform an analysis, and its instantly over with. Feels unfortunate. What you're suggesting adds a good deal of depth , imo. 

CM

Take a look at MOLE and Habtech - they have some parts with a science system that might interest you.  (Not quite what's described, but more than 'run experiment and get science'.)  And of course @Calvin_Maclure you need to check out ScanSat, which makes most satellite analyses take time.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Ruedii @Calvin_Maclure I totally agree. Can't wait for someone to write that plugin. :wink:

Hmm, so you can't do that without a major plugin?  Hmm.  I don't think there is currently one written.  If you'd like to integrate such a plugin into your mod, you'd probably be the one to put it on the mod request forum.

19 hours ago, Ruedii said:

No offense but you literally didn't answer any of my questions. I didn't ask anything about connections breaking...